Last Comiskey Documentary...

Lip Man 1

On 2/20/2023 at 12:53 PM, The Grinder said:

I remember getting high practically right in front of Andy Fram usher who didnt care one bit.

Yes great memories, saw some awesome games there, what a great atmosphere 

Comiskey was to baseball what the Chicago Stadium was to hockey

Comiskey was super and I have so many memories beginning with my first game in 1955 but Chicago Stadium was something special, IMHO it was the greatest hockey arena ever built and the place will never be duplicated. 

What a shame that those 2 great places are no longer with us.

5 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Comiskey was super and I have so many memories beginning with my first game in 1955 but Chicago Stadium was something special, IMHO it was the greatest hockey arena ever built and the place will never be duplicated. 

What a shame that those 2 great places are no longer with us.

Totally agree, I cant figure which one I miss the most. Apparently there was no way either one could have the all important corporate suites installed to meet the owners financial needs plus Im sure both places were racking up some huge deferred maintenance fees

At least they both are basically in the same place

On 3/14/2023 at 3:49 PM, The Mighty Mite said:

Bill Veeck loved paint.

It was cheaper than actually doing maintenance.  The unfortunate difference between Wrigley Field and Comiskey Park was that the Wrigley family took extremely good care of the park, including some major renovations during that 1960 that rebuilt the lower grandstand and fixed the sightline problems that were never fixed during the life of Comiskey Park.  While the Sox were barely surviving financially during parts of the 60's and 70's maintenance was largely ignored.

Obviously it would have been replaced as some point due to revenue issues, but it may have lasted longer or possibly been renovated instead of replaced if decades of maintenance hadn't been ignored and painted over.

1 hour ago, ThirdGen said:

It was cheaper than actually doing maintenance.  The unfortunate difference between Wrigley Field and Comiskey Park was that the Wrigley family took extremely good care of the park, including some major renovations during that 1960 that rebuilt the lower grandstand and fixed the sightline problems that were never fixed during the life of Comiskey Park.  While the Sox were barely surviving financially during parts of the 60's and 70's maintenance was largely ignored.

Obviously it would have been replaced as some point due to revenue issues, but it may have lasted longer or possibly been renovated instead of replaced if decades of maintenance hadn't been ignored and painted over.

Correct on all points, the Wrigley's did a good job with the sightlines down in the corners. If I had one beef about old Comiskey was that if you sat down in the corners they were some of the worst seats in MLB as you left with a stiff neck, the worst seats were actually if there was a full house and you got stuck in the last seat in the last row down the right field line up ln the lower grandstand seats, not only did you have to crane your neck but at that part of the park you had to deal with 2 support beams, I sort of knew the ballpark pretty good not only from attending a couple hundred games from 1955 until it closed but I also was a vendor there and at Wrigley during the 1962 season.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

That was a wonderful documentary.

some of my earliest memories are in that old park, probably from during the ‘86 or ‘87 seasons. I still have this memory of being scared at the fireworks, and I couldn’t have been more than 2 or 3.

Just watched part three. Loved it.

Near the end, regarding the final game in Comiskey, they showed a fan patting the wall of the stadium facade as he left. Reminded me that I patted one of the pillars as I walked out with my brother at my last game that season.

Like most all the fans on here who were alive then, I had the most fun as a kid and felt all the emotions of fans quoted in the 3 part series when I was in Comiskey.

Thank u to the producer and all the folks who put this series together. Special stuff. And I just loved Ozzie Guillen's love of the Sox and all his comments in the 3 part series. Glad Ozzie agreed to be part of it. I'm assuming some former Sox greats must have declined. THANK U! 

17 hours ago, greg775 said:

Just watched part three. Loved it.

Near the end, regarding the final game in Comiskey, they showed a fan patting the wall of the stadium facade as he left. Reminded me that I patted one of the pillars as I walked out with my brother at my last game that season.

Like most all the fans on here who were alive then, I had the most fun as a kid and felt all the emotions of fans quoted in the 3 part series when I was in Comiskey.

Thank u to the producer and all the folks who put this series together. Special stuff. And I just loved Ozzie Guillen's love of the Sox and all his comments in the 3 part series. Glad Ozzie agreed to be part of it. I'm assuming some former Sox greats must have declined. THANK U! 

I think most of us had some emotions during the 1990 season as very soon a place that we loved would  not be us with any longer. I'm going to go back to 1981 for another emotional game, my cousin and I attended a game in June against the Yankees, it was the last night before the players were to go on strike. The Sox were playing great ball and IIRC were a game out of first as the addition of Fisk and Luzinski made Sox contenders for the first time since the 77 season. The Sox won that game and not knowing how long the strike would be my cousin and I were literally the last fans to leave the park, we just sat there looking out at that wonderful green grass with all those green seats and I remember my cousin saying ''God, I love this place", nothing more was needed to say as we finally left the park with tears in our eyes.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I think most of us had some emotions during the 1990 season as very soon a place that we loved would  not be us with any longer. I'm going to go back to 1981 for another emotional game, my cousin and I attended a game in June against the Yankees, it was the last night before the players were to go on strike. The Sox were playing great ball and IIRC were a game out of first as the addition of Fisk and Luzinski made Sox contenders for the first time since the 77 season. The Sox won that game and not knowing how long the strike would be my cousin and I were literally the last fans to leave the park, we just sat there looking out at that wonderful green grass with all those green seats and I remember my cousin saying ''God, I love this place", nothing more was needed to say as we finally left the park with tears in our eyes.

Thing about Old Comiskey, maybe it's this way in the 'new' park as well ... the sound of bat hitting ball was so special. I remember going to see Luzinski's team and man he cracked some impressive homers. ... I also enjoyed Chet Lemon big time. I remember I got to meet him when he was with the Tigers and he was so nice. I asked him if he remembered a certain catch he made in vast CF of the old park. On the TV screen it was a blast in the gap and suddenly Lemon appears in the TV screen laying his body out fully to catch the ball. He said he did remember that catch. I copied his banging his mitt against his thigh in 12 inch softball when playing the outfield, lol. He also hit some rockets and liners where the unmistakeable sound of bat on ball echoed thru the old park. I also remember Gamble and Spencer and Soderholm getting such good wood on the ball. CRACK.

Edited by greg775