Andrus to the Sox, expected to play 2B, 1 yr, $3 mil

Heads22

One thing I will say, is that I still hope they give Romy a decent shake at winning the job. He’s most likely just a guy, but you’ll never know if you don’t give him regular reps. But you’ll never see me complain about depth, especially depth as professional as Elvis with a great glove. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Nice insurance move on the cheap, buys some time for Sosa and Popeye. I wonder how mad will everyone be when 2018-2022 pre-Sox Andrus shows up and can't hit.

No one hates the Sox more than Sox fans. I will stand by Andrus while sending Leury on a Space X moonrocket. 

• Like 2

At only $3M this is an absolute steal. The guy was literally our best position player during the time he was in our team. 

He put up a 2.0 fWAR in only 43 games, which is absurd. Even if he can just do that same production spread out over a full season, it will be the first White Sox 2B to reach 2 WAR since Iguchi in 2005.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Nice insurance move on the cheap, buys some time for Sosa and Popeye. I wonder how mad will everyone be when 2018-2022 pre-Sox Andrus shows up and can't hit.

Oh I’m expecting that a larger sample size won’t do him any favors.  One hot streak here doesn’t undo who he was the last 4 years.  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

the one redeeming thing is its only $3 million, which wouldn't cripple most organizations

Until you add up all those similar bad contracts like Leury or Kelly and suddenly can't add much to payroll except castoffs.

Pretty telling nobody was willing to give him a more generous deal coming off the 2nd half of last season...but at least we should have guaranteed stronger INF defense, overall.

• Like 1

This is not a good use of $3M for a team up against its budget. He's not the player we saw those final two month - not even close. Classic case of the Sox chasing catching lightning in a bottle.

I can't help but throw out what he did with the Sox and his 181 AB's and instead look at his huge sample size from 2018-2021 (and include 2022 OAK if you want). He is going to be a below average hitter out of the 9 hole.

His value is in his clubhouse leadership and fielding, and now he's going to be asked to move over to 2B. Everyone can say he'll be just fine, but the truth is we don't know what he can do as a 34 year old at 2B. He may end up nothing more than league average there.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

This is the dumbest take I've ever seen on this site. Literally your franchise SS vs a 3 mil economy deal. Are you personally gonna ask Tim to move to 2nd? 

Well, that and you HAVE to showcase Anderson at his natural position if you're actually planning to trade him in the next 17 months.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

At only $3M this is an absolute steal. The guy was literally our best position player during the time he was in our team. 

He put up a 2.0 fWAR in only 43 games, which is absurd. Even if he can just do that same production spread out over a full season, it will be the first White Sox 2B to reach 2 WAR since Iguchi in 2005.

in the last 9 years he’s only done that 3 times and he’ll be 35. 

He’s had a long career we can draw on, and really it comes down to now whether he can provide a dominant offensive year for him (slightly above average) or if he’s giving us a Leury year (which he has 75% of his career)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

This is not a good use of $3M for a team up against its budget. He's not the player we saw those final two month - not even close. Classic case of the Sox chasing catching lightning in a bottle.

I can't help but throw out what he did with the Sox and his 181 AB's and instead look at his huge sample size from 2018-2021 (and include 2022 OAK if you want). He is going to be a below average hitter out of the 9 hole.

His value is in his clubhouse leadership and fielding, and now he's going to be asked to move over to 2B. Everyone can say he'll be just fine, but the truth is we don't know what he can do as a 34 year old at 2B. He may end up nothing more than league average there.

Are you taking into account his baseball smarts/high IQ, or do you not think he has that?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Are you taking into account his baseball smarts/high IQ, or do you not think he has that?

Hamilton/Andrus/Marisnick     >>>     Leury Garcia

Burger definitely is looking more and more likely to be headed for the minors (again).  We'll have to wait and see how it goes with Sheets/Colas.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, T R U said:

I can’t believe there are people here that like this. What a waste of money. 

Stockholm Syndrome.

The money will be spent.

Personally, would have preferred Villar or Odor, simply based on the chances of Sox "lightning in a bottle" over performers repeating that fluke success twice are slim and none.

Kind of having the same feeling about Hamilton repeating his same impact from 2 seasons ago, if he were to make the team over Marisnick.

The craziest thing is that Leury's grand slam in the playoffs ended up securing an $18 million (lifetime security) contract from Hahn...that's going to be financially hamstringing the front office for 2023/24.

Edited by caulfield12

53 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Sure, why not? I’ve said several times throughout this off-season that I would take Elvis late in the game for $3M, and here we are.

I agree with this. Given where this team is at (whole other discussion) this isn’t a “bad” move but it’s just fine

• Like 2

• bmags unpinned this topic