Andrus to the Sox, expected to play 2B, 1 yr, $3 mil

Heads22

13 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Never going to happen, but wish they would just eat the $ and cut Luery. HE’S the 1 that is the clog. Would be nice to have Elvis and Romy both on the roster with Sosa waiting at AAA. Luery is really just in the way and doesn’t contribute anything

How many years did they eat from that Keppinger contract?  1 or 2?

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Hamilton/Andrus/Marisnick     >>>     Leury Garcia

Burger definitely is looking more and more likely to be headed for the minors (again).  We'll have to wait and see how it goes with Sheets/Colas.

The Sox cannot afford to play Sheets in the OF. The OF was slow and couldn't throw anyone out. Colas alone had 11 assists in the minors last year and 7 in Birmingham in only 32 games in RF !

With the shift gone a lot more hits are going to get through to RF and you need Colas out there with his strong and accurate arm. Last year teams ran wild on the Sox OF especially the Guardians.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

In a vacuum it’s fine.  He’s never played a single game at 2B in the bigs so I’m not expecting anything special.  The only real positive I see is he can still play a quality SS and provides some level of TA injury insurance.  But big picture it’s another (probably) washed up vet stop gap band aid instead of a real solution.  We have been here too many times for me to be overly excited by this.  Yet another feather in Hahn’s brilliantly uninspired off-season. 

Can’t really complain about this if he’s used properly, which should be likely winner of the OD 2B job and general infield depth.  If he reverts back to his s%*# form or one of the young guys looks studly this spring, they better be prepared to move him to a reserve role.  My only real concern is there being a handshake agreement that he is a lockdown starter.

1 hour ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Because it's irrelevant. I am talking about his production level that can easily be proven by looking at his career statistics.

His production level minus 2022 and his defense. So I wouldn't exactly say it's his whole production level but more like a piece of it . Plus you have to take into consideration all of that because he plays a decent SS if Tim gets injured. A $3M depth piece isn't a bad move. The Sox defense sucked last year and he provided stability at SS when Tim was out along with the hot bat.

Look at what the Cubs paid Bellinger and look at his last 3 years. I know he's younger and provides (surprise !) good defense and base running but much of what they paid him is looking for his bat again despite the bum shoulder that has prevented him for hitting well in those last 3 years.

AT least Andrus had a 3.5 fWar year last year whereas Bellinger has a combined 2.1 fWar over his last 3 years.

• Like 1

Just now, Sleepy Harold said:

They can just throw Liam or Crochet on the 60 Day to free up a spot

Yeah, but they’re probably not gonna. Crochet is gonna be ready before June 1. And there seems to be a good amount of optimism on Liam the last week. 

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah, but they’re probably not gonna. Crochet is gonna be ready before June 1. And there seems to be a good amount of optimism on Liam the last week. 

Putting Liam on the 60 until he wraps up his treatments seems like the least they could do for him. Let him return at his own speed, if they make him take more time so what? His health needs to be the priority over baseball. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/if-everybody-wants-elvis-andrus-why-isnt-anybody-calling/

Fangraphs article from January.

What that article doesn't mention and is what Elvis said since the end of 2022 but what Feagan posted seems either significant or Andrus just trying to get a better payday.

The article said Elvis needed to evolve defensively which he is clearly is willing to do so the writer clearly missed this from Fegan:

At the end of 2022, Elvis Andrus said two things: He was willing to come back and play 2B, and had found something in his swing that had been missing since fracturing his elbow in 2018.

I don't mind this. The fact that nobody else gave him a starting SS job or more than $3 million should tell you what teams really think of his offensive "breakout" last year. That being said, the alternatives for us could have been really bad. Andrus is a smart player. He's gonna play good defense at 2B. If he puts up an 80 wRC+, it is what it is. 

38 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

It’s available but 60 day clock doesn’t start til opening day. 

I think Liam ends up on the 60 day. Despite the reports he still has cancer and has to undergo Chemo. That is not easy to come back from even if he beats the cancer. He'll need to regain his strength and go through a rehab assignment. I think putting Liam on the 60 day is an easy call. He can't be rushed back if and when he beats the disease.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I don't mind this. The fact that nobody else gave him a starting SS job or more than $3 million should tell you what teams really think of his offensive "breakout" last year. That being said, the alternatives for us could have been really bad. Andrus is a smart player. He's gonna play good defense at 2B. If he puts up an 80 wRC+, it is what it is. 

Your 2023 Chicago White Sox....It is what it is.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Love 2

7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think Liam ends up on the 60 day. Despite the reports he still has cancer and has to undergo Chemo. That is not easy to come back from even if he beats the cancer. He'll need to regain his strength and go through a rehab assignment. I think putting Liam on the 60 day is an easy call. He can't be rushed back if and when he beats the disease.

You’re probably right. I just think they may give it a few more weeks. 

3 hours ago, bmags said:

in the last 9 years he’s only done that 3 times and he’ll be 35. 

He’s had a long career we can draw on, and really it comes down to now whether he can provide a dominant offensive year for him (slightly above average) or if he’s giving us a Leury year (which he has 75% of his career)

We WISH we were only committed to just $3M for Leury, which again reinforces how much of a steal this is at just $3M. I wouldn't have loved bringing back Andrus for the $10M or so I honestly thought he would have gotten with a starting SS gig, but $3M to be our 2B with his secondary benefit being a legitimate backup plan for TA? This is great.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

This is not a good use of $3M for a team up against its budget.

3 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

What else should they have spent that $3M on during Spring Training? Or should they have not spent anymore at all?

Also you said he's going to be a below average hitter out of the #9 hole.....

The average #9 hitter last season hit .226 with a 81 wRC+. Andrus only one time in his career (29 games in 2020) ever hit below .226, and is a career .270 hitter with career 86 wRC+. 

For a #9 hitter, he will be just fine, and that is ignoring all the positives he brings on the bases, on defense, and in the clubhouse. This isn't an exciting move, but it's a pretty easily a positive one.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

42 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

You’re probably right. I just think they may give it a few more weeks. 

I'm sure they will give it a few more weeks to put him on the 60 day list since they have until opening day. I'm not going to predict if the Sox have any more moves up their sleeves but it seems unlikely unless the league makes a decision on Clevinger in the near future and even then it'll just be Davis Martin taking his place.

Maybe then the Sox will see who's left among the starting pitcher FA. Bundy , Archer, Anibal Sanchez whoever is willing to sign a MILB deal maybe.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

• bmags unpinned this topic