Andrus to the Sox, expected to play 2B, 1 yr, $3 mil

Heads22

4 hours ago, T R U said:

I don't expect him to struggle and be left in the lineup. I expect him to be DFA at some point this year. I don't like the move simply because its just not necessary. Our season wont make or break by the position of 2B and I would rather see younger players with more upside get the opportunity right away rather than watching Andrus. Especially in the off chance that he does struggle and they keep throwing him out there.

I hope he kills it, that would be awesome. Nothing suggests that will be the case.

Despite what you think about Leury vs. Andrus these are the facts. Last year in 1 season Andrus had more fWar than Leury has had in the last 4 seasons combined 3.5 to 2.9.

However fluky you think it is , it happened. It might not be likely to happen again but a 2.0 fWar would be the 1st time that's happened at 2nd base for the Sox in a very long time., I think someone said since Iguchi.

One player never makes or breaks a team. Ohtani and Trout can't push the Angels into the playoffs. Only a full team playing good baseball together can do that. Good defense, smart baseball and good base running . These are fundamental things that need to be done by all players. These things elevate a mediocre player into a good player.

I am not against playing young players. I might be the guy highest on Colas on the whole board. In his case they really need his arm in RF and there's no one else who can give them that . I also believe in his bat. He has a much better chance of succeeding than the overhyped Romy or the not yet ready for prime time Sosa. Nothing suggests Romy is anything special either but I hope they both kill it in  ST & AAA and make life hard on the decision makers.

Andrus will be gone soon enough and the Sox have more than just Sosa knocking on the door in the infield with Ramos and Rodriguez. Youth will be served eventually on the Sox infield.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, zisk said:

just because he's useless at multiple positions doesn't make him useful.

He’s not good, but he’s better than like Yolbert Sanchez and we’re paying him regardless. If he’s awful again in 23, sure DFA him if/when you have a better option. But makes no sense to do that at the moment. 

• Like 2

1:37 - Elvis Andrus re-signs with the White Sox to be the starting 2nd baseman 9:09 - White Sox General Manager Rick Hahn speaks on the signing of Elvis Andrus (video clip) 13:33 - The Andrus signing will help fill the leadership void with Jose Abreu’s departure 18:45 - Elvis Andrus is excited to return to the White Sox for the full season (video clip) 28:20 - What the Elvis move means to the rest of the roster including Leury Garcia & Romy Gonzalez 38:09 - White Sox ace Dylan Cease 1 on 1 interview with Beat Writer Vinnie Duber (pre-recorded) 46:10 - Janice & Vinnie share their appreciation for Dylan Cease’s cat stories 49:45 - White Sox shortstop Tim Anderson talks about Jose Abreu and how it is time to move on (video clip) 51:14 - White Sox have plenty of leaders in their clubhouse even without Jose Abreu 53:19 - Mailbag Monday: Which minor leaguer will have the best Spring Training? 58:06 - Mailbag Monday: What will be the everyday (projected) lineup now that Elvis Andrus has signed? 1:01:22 - Mailbag Monday: Does the Elvis Andrus signing move your grade for the White Sox offseason? BUY WHITE SOX TICKETS HERE: https://gametime.hnyj8s.net/c/3442941...

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

He’s not good, but he’s better than like Yolbert Sanchez and we’re paying him regardless. If he’s awful again in 23, sure DFA him if/when you have a better option. But makes no sense to do that at the moment. 

He’s better than our 4th option in the minor leagues. Amazing argument. 

• Haha 2

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/romy-gonzalez-663853

"The other big question for González is where he will play. He has committed 12 errors at shortstop this year, and though that’s not bad for his very first professional games at the position, it may not be his future home.

I think he ultimately lands at second base if he turns into an everyday player. There certainly could be a need there soon, with the White Sox trading Nick Madrigal to the Chicago Cubs in the Craig Kimbrel trade.

Most likely, Romy becomes a really solid utility player, who can provide some right-handed pop off the bench.

But in a season where we haven’t had the most exciting prospect talent come through Birmingham, Romy González is certainly standing out."

https://www.southsidesox.com/2021/8/20/22628317/white-sox-romy-gonzalez-powering-his-way-up-prospect-rankings

Edited by caulfield12

"At a game earlier in the year, I was really keying in on guys like Micker Adolfo and Ti’Quan Forbes — when I saw an at-bat from González and said to myself, “That kid can swing the bat.”

Ever since then — and especially after the promotions of Adolfo and Forbes — Romy has been the main guy to watch with the Barons. And honestly, he might be the most impressive of those three guys."

I was at the game for that one, and it might be the farthest home run I’ve seen hit out to left in that stadium (Birmingham). Yasiel Puig hit one that put a dent in the scoreboard, this one went well beyond the scoreboard in left.

I was sitting near those umbrellas in left field and couldn’t find the baseball he hit it so far.

The swing is beautiful, and the power is real."

Edited by caulfield12

I'm among those who think this is a positive move for the Sox.  The Sox were unwatchable last year for the most part, except for a few players, who came to play everyday and gave it their all. 

For position players, that list was very short.  Jose Abreu and Elvis Andrus.  

Everyone else got hurt, just stunk it up, or had terrible splits. And most also sucked at fielding and baserunning. 

Andrus might regress, but I believe him when he says he found something in his swing. He was a breath of fresh air on a team filled with prima donnas who were all hype and no substance. He was a little like Johnny Cueto was for the starting staff. 

He can't turn the team around himself, but maybe he'll embarrass Tim Anderson and Yoan Moncada into playing better. 

• Like 4

On 2/20/2023 at 11:04 AM, ChiSox59 said:

As I suspected Sox DFA Sousa and expose him to waivers rather than using the 60 day IL for Liam or Crochet. Gonna stick with my hot take that Liam will be back pretty quick, they’ve really telegraphed it. 

Don't forget Colas isn't on the 40 yet so Liam can be put on the 60 day IL on opening day if Colas needs to be added then.

Someone remind me or clear this up for me; but when Burger disappeared from or was remove from the Sox line up (I forget why? To make room for Moncada, or wasn’t it a hand injury?) But whatever reason, wasn’t he leading the Sox in homers at the time he when down? Again wasn’t it injury and while out they gave 3rd base to Moncada? What happened then and wasn’t he Sox HR leader at the time?

1 hour ago, vilehoopster said:

Someone remind me or clear this up for me; but when Burger disappeared from or was remove from the Sox line up (I forget why? To make room for Moncada, or wasn’t it a hand injury?) But whatever reason, wasn’t he leading the Sox in homers at the time he when down? Again wasn’t it injury and while out they gave 3rd base to Moncada? What happened then and wasn’t he Sox HR leader at the time?

He had 8 HR's by June 11th. If not tops on the Sox it was close. He was sent down and hasn't been back since because he was booting balls all over the place. He was hitting LHP very well but wasn't very good against RHP . But he did have a 112 OPS+

Burger was placed on the 7-day IL on July 6 with a right-hand bone bruise and was optioned to Charlotte after his rehab assignment.Burger suffered a non-displaced left wrist fracture in late August.

5 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

He had 8 HR's by June 11th. If not tops on the Sox it was close. He was sent down and hasn't been back since because he was booting balls all over the place. He was hitting LHP very well but wasn't very good against RHP . But he did have a 112 OPS+

Burger was placed on the 7-day IL on July 6 with a right-hand bone bruise and was optioned to Charlotte after his rehab assignment.Burger suffered a non-displaced left wrist fracture in late August.

Can a batter recover from a wrist fracture? Ptatc? ... I see no spot for Burger except DH. Isn't he a butcher at 3B? Forget 2B. 1B ... too many of 'em. Outifield? Nah. Catcher? Doubtful. Ugh. Trade him.

• bmags unpinned this topic