Andrus to the Sox, expected to play 2B, 1 yr, $3 mil

Heads22

I’m a fan of bringing Andrus back since they didn’t spend money to go get Jean Segura. $3M is a bargain for Andrus, given what he did last year and his veteran presence to light some fire under some asses who really need it. I don’t see him getting DFA’d and am glad we have the depth when someone inevitably gets hurt. Andrus is one of the few guys on this team that I trust to show up and play, just like Hendriks and Abreu last year.

For those who laughed at or bitched about the move, saying that this money shouldn’t have been spent, do you really think this money would have brought another impactful player right now and that this will stop them from adding mid year if the situation calls for it?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I’m a fan of bringing Andrus back since they didn’t spend money to go get Jean Segura. $3M is a bargain for Andrus, given what he did last year and his veteran presence to light some fire under some asses who really need it. I don’t see him getting DFA’d and am glad we have the depth when someone inevitably gets hurt. Andrus is one of the few guys on this team that I trust to show up and play, just like Hendriks and Abreu last year.

For those who laughed at or bitched about the move, saying that this money shouldn’t have been spent, do you really think this money would have brought another impactful player right now and that this will stop them from adding mid year if the situation calls for it?

Rodon and Cueto the last two years lol...pretty darned fortunate.  Andrus as well.

• bmags unpinned this topic

Given how much the defense improved when TA went out and Andrus was picked up, at what point do the Sox make the switch on these two if TA struggles at SS?

I feel like the Sox will be more concerned with managing TA's ego than they are with fielding the best team but I am pretty confident today that the best lineup the Sox can field right now is TA at 2B and Andrus at SS. Who knows with the new manager.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Given how much the defense improved when TA went out and Andrus was picked up, at what point do the Sox make the switch on these two if TA struggles at SS?

I feel like the Sox will be more concerned with managing TA's ego than they are with fielding the best team but I am pretty confident today that the best lineup the Sox can field right now is TA at 2B and Andrus at SS. Who knows with the new manager.

Tim is going to be in the lineup almost every day, Andrus is more likely to be going in and out. It doesn't make sense for Tim to be going back and forth between positions based on whether Andrus is in the lineup.

RE: TA's defense, he had a month or two stretch at the start of the season where he was making a lot of errors. But he cut that down by mid-May (I don't remember exactly when and I'm not sure how to pull up monthly fielding splits) and was solid the rest of the way. Hopefully that continues, really I'm not all that worried about it.

25 minutes ago, raBBit said:

If it were TA's last year of control, I could see it.  But they also don't want to hurt his trade value in the event they flop again this season by moving him off SS.  Of the assets controlled 2 years or less, TA is certainly of the highest value.  I don't think TA would would take that "demotion" well either. 

59 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I agree with you 100% but I think nothing changes.  I have a bigger issue with him being locked into the #1 spot in the lineup but I am not certain there are better options.

1 hour ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

Tim is going to be in the lineup almost every day, Andrus is more likely to be going in and out. It doesn't make sense for Tim to be going back and forth between positions based on whether Andrus is in the lineup.

RE: TA's defense, he had a month or two stretch at the start of the season where he was making a lot of errors. But he cut that down by mid-May (I don't remember exactly when and I'm not sure how to pull up monthly fielding splits) and was solid the rest of the way. Hopefully that continues, really I'm not all that worried about it.

The he "was solid the rest of the way" after May argument does not hold much weight when he missed most of June, most of August and all of September. 

19 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Dumping Leury is the only remotely sensible thing about this post.  Yikes. 

Cannot give 400 AB to Moncada with a .626 OPS again at that position again this year.  He was awful last year and should not be handed the position until he can show he’s no longer an anchor on the entire lineup.

I’ll take Burger’s defense issues if he’s mashing  the ball like he did last year.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, raBBit said:

The he "was solid the rest of the way" after May argument does not hold much weight when he missed most of June, most of August and all of September. 

I was going by memory, but then I looked up the numbers and it refreshed my memory that his bad defense was much more concentrated. TA had 12 errors last year. 6 of those 12 were in a 3-day period (4/20-4/22 - against Cleveland and Minnesota). Other than that one 3-day stretch he played solid defense.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, raBBit said:

No one is going to make that move and you wouldn't either if you were manager unless you wanted all your bosses to say WTF are you doing ? You wouldn't even get out of ST saying I'm moving TA to 2b in favor of our last minute $3M guy.

• Thanks 1

On 2/19/2023 at 7:11 PM, elrockinMT said:

Not sure Romy kGonzalez story is fluff as much as Andrus is just good infield insurance. I would have been  real surprised if Sosa is deemed ready goths Bigs. Gonzalez and Andrus can be a team and also play in multiple spots. My wonder what do the do with Garcia? 

Leury and Romy seem redundant. They need Sheets' bat so if Romy stays Leury might depart. 

On 2/19/2023 at 6:14 PM, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

At only $3M this is an absolute steal. The guy was literally our best position player during the time he was in our team. 

He put up a 2.0 fWAR in only 43 games, which is absurd. Even if he can just do that same production spread out over a full season, it will be the first White Sox 2B to reach 2 WAR since Iguchi in 2005.

It's OK to like a guy who played well for the Sox. We just aren't used to it. Texas gave him an 8/$120 deal ten years ago. Nice job Rick. I would worry more about our SPs collapsing. 

1 hour ago, pcq said:

It's OK to like a guy who played well for the Sox. We just aren't used to it. Texas gave him an 8/$120 deal ten years ago. Nice job Rick. I would worry more about our SPs collapsing. 

Ha could've fooled me when earlier in the off season I was angling for Andrus and felt like the whole board was against me. Maybe at that point they wanted better but most of the arguments were Leury was just as good as Andrus.