2023-24 NFL Season Thread

Go Chiefs/Dolphins!!!

Somewhat contradictory, I know.

Ā 

Lived in KC, 1998-2007...but grew up in Iowa as a huge Dolphins fan in 70's, 80's (late Shula), 90's (Jimmy Johnson past his prime), mostly I think due to MNF and all those battles with the Chargers/Fouts and AFC East.Ā  A fan especially Marino/Clayton/Duper days with Keith Jackson in the 80's and early 90's.

Kind of lost interest when they went on an almost 30 year dry spell of mostly non-competitiveness.

On 2/22/2023 at 11:45 AM, bmags said:

Iā€™d imagine bears will call on Robert woods. Excellent blocker and will be year 2 after ACL

Really good fit here with what they do.Ā 

Woods/Mooney/Claypool/Kmet good enough though? Orrrrrr do they Barkley too? I really really wanna see them get the RBs more involved in the passing game.Ā 

Ā 

20 minutes ago, scs787 said:

Really good fit here with what they do.Ā 

Woods/Mooney/Claypool/Kmet good enough though? Orrrrrr do they Barkley too? I really really wanna see them get the RBs more involved in the passing game.Ā 

Ā 

Seems like a mediocre WR group for the money theyā€™d have to pay to extend them.Ā 

26 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I think the correct decision was made, and Iā€™m not all that huge of a fan of Pete Carroll lol

E0D809E4-2A44-42AE-BC25-407B41CBC1E3.jpeg

The picks were what made that deal as bad as it was for Denver. The guaranteed money was bad, but the picks were worse. Maybe Payton can turn things around but I donā€™t know what kind of cap room they have since they really donā€™t have many picks.

1 hour ago, The Beast said:

The picks were what made that deal as bad as it was for Denver. The guaranteed money was bad, but the picks were worse. Maybe Payton can turn things around but I donā€™t know what kind of cap room they have since they really donā€™t have many picks.

If russ was a top 5 qb for them it would have been fine. Everyone was wrong that Caroll was "holding him back" and they should let russ cook and all the nfl hot thought. Carroll clearly did a good job hiding Russ's weaknesses and giving him better improv receivers than timing ones like Jeudy.

Denver had a ready made defense for a championship and a young locked up receiver core, also a well thought of Oline. The combo of trading for Russ and handing the reigns to Hackett has to be among the worst 1-2 punches in history. But Payton to date has made everything work on offense so maybe it won't matter. SHows the value of willing ownership vs. what a certain chicago man provides.

• Like 1

Since the malaise of chicago sports has me firmly planted on the bears...

does anyone else have scenarios they think objectively are bad ideas but also can't help but think they could be awesome to watch?

For me it's the scenario of a deep to the teens trade back that ends up netting Bijan Robinson and then also getting Jalen Hyatt with one of two second rounders. You'd hope that you'd added a mcglinchey and a powers and patrick provides a center that's worthy. And your defense will still be bad. And you are using a 1 on a RB which there is just too much expensive positions to fill thru fa.

But an offense that had Fields/Bijan and then adds the speed of hyatt for just launching deep routes for fields...would be definitely a different offense than we've seen.

It's hard to imagine Hyatt ever becoming a true number one since in the red zone he's a lot easier to neutralize. But watching that guy...saying he'll run a 4.2 doesn't do justice for how much faster on the field he seems than the other teams. And SEC cornerbacks are not slow.

A month ago I would have said TN's offense is bad to go after receivers for, but...sometimes you can outthink yourself and it just seems like it'd be nice to have a guy that's the fastest on the field.

3 hours ago, bmags said:

Since the malaise of chicago sports has me firmly planted on the bears...

does anyone else have scenarios they think objectively are bad ideas but also can't help but think they could be awesome to watch?

For me it's the scenario of a deep to the teens trade back that ends up netting Bijan Robinson and then also getting Jalen Hyatt with one of two second rounders. You'd hope that you'd added a mcglinchey and a powers and patrick provides a center that's worthy. And your defense will still be bad. And you are using a 1 on a RB which there is just too much expensive positions to fill thru fa.

But an offense that had Fields/Bijan and then adds the speed of hyatt for just launching deep routes for fields...would be definitely a different offense than we've seen.

It's hard to imagine Hyatt ever becoming a true number one since in the red zone he's a lot easier to neutralize. But watching that guy...saying he'll run a 4.2 doesn't do justice for how much faster on the field he seems than the other teams. And SEC cornerbacks are not slow.

A month ago I would have said TN's offense is bad to go after receivers for, but...sometimes you can outthink yourself and it just seems like it'd be nice to have a guy that's the fastest on the field.

I think a double trade down in the first round could be a fun idea but also a bad idea. I would feel more comfortable with staying at number 1 or trading with the Colts and selecting Anderson or Carter than doing a double trade down for less blue chip caliber players or accumulate picks in the future and then be at the mercy of best available in the teens. I also want more of a balanced draft from both sides of the ball, but one thing that is missing from the mock drafts is what they will do in free agency. If they invest in defense in free agency then maybe they do what your awesome to watch idea suggests.

Edited by The Beast

On 2/26/2023 at 8:04 AM, Texsox said:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/24/sport/chad-johnson-nfl-cincinnati-bengals-spt-intl/index.html

Lived at the stadium for two years. Saved 80% of his salary.Ā 

Hopefully he was one athlete that managed his money well and set himself up for life.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

DEVELOPING NEWS NOT AT ALL OPTIMIZED TO GIVE ESPN CONTENT TO HANG ON COMBINE COVERAGE

What, this?

Haugh just said he would take the best offer for the first pick right now if it made him happy. Ā I just donā€™t understand why you wouldnā€™t let these QBs build a market between them in the next month, and make a deal closer to the draft when teams know who they want and would be willing to part with more capital.

4 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Haugh just said he would take the best offer for the first pick right now if it made him happy. Ā I just donā€™t understand why you wouldnā€™t let these QBs build a market between them in the next month, and make a deal closer to the draft when teams know who they want and would be willing to part with more capital.

I mean yes I would wait, but I probably would have a "buy now" price just like ebay, and it would be high and make me happy. But I imagine poles isn't actually saying anything and just letting teams talk.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I mean yes I would wait, but I probably would have a "buy now" price just like ebay, and it would be high and make me happy. But I imagine poles isn't actually saying anything and just letting teams talk.

Iā€™m sure there is a ā€œit doesnā€™t get better than thisā€ price, Ā itā€™s just he determined that the supposed Indy offer is that price and will not consider that it could be betterĀ 

9 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

They need to determine what it would take from each team.

The certainly afforded to a team that can then focus on who they want is the benefit to both.Ā  Bears get the certainty on their draft board as does the other team with who they can get.Ā 

The QB market is fluid, get rid of the fluidity.Ā Ā 

Ā 

16 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Iā€™m sure there is a ā€œit doesnā€™t get better than thisā€ price, Ā itā€™s just he determined that the supposed Indy offer is that price and will not consider that it could be betterĀ 

Yes he is reading Daniel Jeremiah's article and assuming it is like an actual offer.