2023-24 NFL Season Thread

18 hours ago, scs787 said:

Just the Bears luck. They get the 1st overall pick and the QB class sucks limiting what they can get in a trade and the top defensive player did this. Be really interesting to see what goes on with him. 

I've heard some people saying Tyree Wilson is right up there with Will Anderson so I guess that's a plus. 

I know there’s a good reason to be concerned about what Carter did, but I still think some NFL team will select him high in the draft. I don’t think this hurts the Bears too much, there will be some team that is desperate for the quarterback and will trade them for what they want.

My prediction is they will either draft Will Anderson or trade with the Colts to get picks (4, 2024 first and another pick) as well as a defensive player off their roster at a minimum.

Where are all of you on this?

7 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

Can you list the Kentucky QB's you'd have liked to have gotten previously?  I'll hang up and listen to your answer.  

nope!

In all honesty though, I think Bryce Young is the clear cut #1. It just sucks as a Colts fan when every Ohio State player they ever draft physically falls apart.

The thought of adding a premier player in any trade intrigues me with the bust ability of some prospects. The Beast mentioned trading down with Indy and picking up a player, but I'm not sure you're getting Buckner and picking up a 1st next year. 

What about a deeper dive to 11 for Simmons/#11/#41/24 1R? 

Grab Skoronski at 11 and Avila, who can play OC at 41.

image.png

I’ll never miss an opportunity to argue that the way we should always phrase this is “2 additional firsts and a second” with the assumption. Being that we swap a first already (hence trade down)

19 hours ago, scs787 said:

The thought of adding a premier player in any trade intrigues me with the bust ability of some prospects. The Beast mentioned trading down with Indy and picking up a player, but I'm not sure you're getting Buckner and picking up a 1st next year. 

What about a deeper dive to 11 for Simmons/#11/#41/24 1R? 

Grab Skoronski at 11 and Avila, who can play OC at 41.

image.png

My other train of thought would be to do something like you have proposed, but the player they get should be under contract for another year and be young enough to fit their roster. I would be okay with a draft like that. Building from the inside of the line as you have done makes sense.

19 hours ago, bmags said:

I’ll never miss an opportunity to argue that the way we should always phrase this is “2 additional firsts and a second” with the assumption. Being that we swap a first already (hence trade down)

I would also be okay with this type of return. I would be underwhelmed if it didn’t include at least two first round picks and a second round pick.

Bears have talked to a handful of guys who are definitely 3-4 rush LBs. I wonder if we might see them use a LB spot like the Eagles did with Reddick. Eagles pretty much ran a 5-2 with the way the used Reddick, and I would not be surprised if that becomes more of a trend. 

On 3/4/2023 at 10:01 AM, The Beast said:

My other train of thought would be to do something like you have proposed, but the player they get should be under contract for another year and be young enough to fit their roster. I would be okay with a draft like that. Building from the inside of the line as you have done makes sense.

I would also be okay with this type of return. I would be underwhelmed if it didn’t include at least two first round picks and a second round pick.

I don't think I would trade down that far. If the bears are picking in the teens they aren't going to get that same impact player. 

If the bears just go for quantity over quality, in a few years we'll be saying "they have a lot of good ayers but they lack the impact player." 

They will be a middle of the road good team. They need an impact a player and can draft good players later. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

What is they traded down and went offense twice - Robinson and Jaxson Smith. Surround Fields with more weapons and than use fa money on some defense and oline and do a bit more of both dline and oline in draft too. 

I don’t think there is a world where we can get two picks in the vicinity of those two unless we got 2, 12 from Houston and presumably traded back from 2 as well. 

8 hours ago, ptatc said:

I don't think I would trade down that far. If the bears are picking in the teens they aren't going to get that same impact player. 

If the bears just go for quantity over quality, in a few years we'll be saying "they have a lot of good ayers but they lack the impact player." 

They will be a middle of the road good team. They need an impact a player and can draft good players later. 

Would you be on board with a trade to the Colts?

7 hours ago, The Beast said:

Would you be on board with a trade to the Colts?

Sure. At 4 there would still be thy impact player. I don't think they'll get very many picks for it there. If they want to get the haul many people want they would need to trade with a team much further down. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Sure. At 4 there would still be thy impact player. I don't think they'll get very many picks for it there. If they want to get the haul many people want they would need to trade with a team much further down. 

Just depends on picks. Getting a future first to move down 3 spots, and an early second this year, adds a lot of flexibility. You can trade that future first for a big time receiver, or maybe walk out of next years draft with 2 first round talents.

You can use the early second this year to begin trading back and accumulating picks, or have more flexibility to trade for Hopkins.

They both add a lot of flexibilty. I think colts may still be pressed next year to be too good, esp compared to a carolina, so I'd rather get a future first from them. 

They need to get a future 1. But even if they trade back a lot, they may be valuing future 1s more than loading up in current class.

15 hours ago, bmags said:

I don’t think there is a world where we can get two picks in the vicinity of those two unless we got 2, 12 from Houston and presumably traded back from 2 as well. 

If they can pull that off - than make another move down - say to the Colts or Panthers - and get a future FRP (which I want) plus obviously the FRP from the team, 2RP and a few other picks (either this year or next) and I'm on board.  You can still move around the first round a bit more if you want to and obviously have the ability to be flexible the rest of the draft.  

Than you have 2 top 15 picks this year - plus an extra 2RP this year and you have ammo next year (in terms of future FRP and 2nd RP).  

13 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

If they can pull that off - than make another move down - say to the Colts or Panthers - and get a future FRP (which I want) plus obviously the FRP from the team, 2RP and a few other picks (either this year or next) and I'm on board.  You can still move around the first round a bit more if you want to and obviously have the ability to be flexible the rest of the draft.  

Than you have 2 top 15 picks this year - plus an extra 2RP this year and you have ammo next year (in terms of future FRP and 2nd RP).  

Should just go with Big Cat's plan

https://twitter.com/PardonMyTake/status/1632737176352899073

• Haha 2

I like how Poles basically set his floor in a quote to Peter King - I can get 4 FRP (1 Swap and 3 FRP) as his asking price. I don't know that he really has gotten that offer - but I'm sure there is a team that offered 2 FRP this year + one next year and another in '25.  

That team is probably not in the Top 5 though.  But I will say - if Bears can move to Houston - than Panthers are who I'd have my eye on as the next on that list.  In general - I think Carolina can and will be aggressive (big plus that Carr is off the board cause now they are basically on the rookie QB path unless they are going Jimmy G or Geno Smith).