2023-24 NFL Season Thread

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Orlando Brown will make it to FA. Huge news. Not sure if bears like him or not, but it’s good news regardless.

I would spend for him. The line needs to improve and he is a proven commodity. 

I don't love Brown - but I would sign him as well. He is still young enough - clearly can play LT and if in 2 or 3 years you need to, you can always move him back over to RT and get value out of him there.  

I also think Bears are going to make a trade sooner vs. later. I am really curious if what they are doing is pushing the Texans to make a big time offer to get their guy...than Poles has essentially set up the rest of the market for who wants the 2 spot.  I don't know why - I'm thinking 2, 12 + something else. 

20 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I don't love Brown - but I would sign him as well. He is still young enough - clearly can play LT and if in 2 or 3 years you need to, you can always move him back over to RT and get value out of him there.  

I also think Bears are going to make a trade sooner vs. later. I am really curious if what they are doing is pushing the Texans to make a big time offer to get their guy...than Poles has essentially set up the rest of the market for who wants the 2 spot.  I don't know why - I'm thinking 2, 12 + something else. 

I cant imagine a scenario where the Texans give up the 12th overall pick to move from 2 to 1. While I think they could pass on QB this year and wait for next years loaded class, the fan base wont allow it so I think if they have a couple of these guys closely ranked they will just take whoever is there at 2.

I think the likeliest trade partner is Indy if they do trade. Or the Texans too I guess, but I don't see it having #12 involved.

I do love Brown. I think it’s under discussed how even though Jones didn’t fail, he was not tasked with a lot in pass pro. Brown the second half of the season had no problems shutting people down.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I do love Brown. I think it’s under discussed how even though Jones didn’t fail, he was not tasked with a lot in pass pro. Brown the second half of the season had no problems shutting people down.

Plus - Brown can play RT - as long as he is good with what he gets paid he shouldn't care as much with which spot he plays. But that means if Jones isn't as good at LT - you slide Brown over; If Jones is solid - than you massively upgraded RT in Brown.  

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

That’s not an overpay…pretty on target. And only 3 years too, it’s a good deal.

It may be the going rate - but they are going nowhere with Geno. If you want to have a middle of the pack QB - make sure they are cheap.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bmags said:

He is not worth half that a yr, he is not a difference maker.

Edited by Soxfest

I guess I disagree. Is any team without burrow or mahomes going anywhere? He was good in the playoffs against the NFCs best defense, much better than Dak. He’s one of the more efficient passers, and next year will have Kenneth Walker fully involved all year.

With a rebuild front end on defense, I don’t see why they can’t do what eagles are doing now.

14 hours ago, bmags said:

All depends on how real last year is.  If he repeats that season if anything that contract is below market.  If he regresses then it is an overpay but given it a short deal they will pretty easily be able to pivot away from him.

4 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Geno had a waaaaaay better year than I thought he did.  Almost 4300 yards damn 

And led the league in completion percentage and in lowest off target throw rate.  Remains to be seen if he can duplicate it but he was legitimately great last season.  

27 minutes ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

All depends on how real last year is.  If he repeats that season if anything that contract is below market.  If he regresses then it is an overpay but given it a short deal they will pretty easily be able to pivot away from him.

Right and sounds like it's structured for the biggest hit to be this year. Does seem like a good place for an Anthony Richardson to go. 

I was really starting to want Barkley, so I'm pretty bummed he got tagged. I really think a good pass catching back will help Justin and the offense. Aaron Jones might be a cap casualty and if he hits the market, that's my guy. 

Haven't really looked at the RBs in the draft yet. 

• Like 1

I'm gonna do the thing where I create a man from straw by condensing thousands of individual peoples opinions into one I like to shoot down, so I know I'm just annoyed on line but

The orlando brown stuff is annoying me. Greg Gabriel in typical condescending fashion talks about how stupid fans are for wanting Orlando Brown because he's not a scheme fit. 

So team scheme fit has circled two names - mcglinchey and mcgary, with McGary the new OT du jour. I'm not opposed per se. 

But the thing with McGary is the falcons had more run sets than the Bears did last year. They protected their OTs in pass sets as much as the bears did. So what you see with McGary is an OT that is an exceptional run tackle but an ok pass pro guy, improved but not great. He's like Braxton jones at RT. Except we hope Jones gets better while McGary is now 28. Was what we didn't like about Larry Borom that he wasn't good enough at run blocking? PFF grades pass blocking at equal to McGary.

Now McGlinchey has the same problem, it's just that he was not in an offense that was protecting their tackles as much. So we know he can provide adequate pass blocking when they aren't doing so much to protect him.

But those are bears scheme fits. And apparently this group sees the chicago bears as prioritizing the run heavy stuff they did last year and not trying to normalize that a bit with being able to pass on non-obvious downs. But I feel like the same group also wants the bears to improve passing. If you only want the bears to do what they did last year with an even better run blocking RT...Kaleb McGary is for you.

No Jawaan Taylor is the inverse. He is young and I haven't not heard he's a scheme fit. He was great at Pass Pro but bad at running. The Jags passed a lot, and he was good at it. I'd much rather try that out.

But then you have Brown, who also was in an offense that passed a lot, and opponents tried to stop the pass, and they could not get around his massive arms. Apparently we don't need that because we need to run. 

The smart people know we just need to focus exclusively on optimizing the bears run, put all pass improvements on Justin. 

I hate it.

• Like 2

Bmags can you just reply to Greg with your points in as much of a non confrontational manner as possible, so I can watch him melt down and insult then block you because he is embarrassed that you took him to the woodshed

4 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Bmags can you just reply to Greg with your points in as much of a non confrontational manner as possible, so I can watch him melt down and insult then block you because he is embarrassed that you took him to the woodshed

I honestly don't have time that's why you all had to read that scribe which I could do in 5 minutes rather than hours of him yelling at me and then probably finding my phone and yelling at me.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, scs787 said:

I was really starting to want Barkley, so I'm pretty bummed he got tagged. I really think a good pass catching back will help Justin and the offense. Aaron Jones might be a cap casualty and if he hits the market, that's my guy. 

Haven't really looked at the RBs in the draft yet. 

Aaron Jones restructured his contract a couple weeks ago, so he's staying in Green Bay.  But the good news if you're looking for a RB is the draft class is deep, and the FA market is still solid even without the top-end guys.  I'd be happy if Monty comes back, but on a deal that's easy to get out of before it expires.  Like a 3 year deal, but if we cut him after Year 1 or Year 2, the amount of dead money is low.