2023-24 NFL Season Thread

2 hours ago, bmags said:

I'm gonna do the thing where I create a man from straw by condensing thousands of individual peoples opinions into one I like to shoot down, so I know I'm just annoyed on line but

The orlando brown stuff is annoying me. Greg Gabriel in typical condescending fashion talks about how stupid fans are for wanting Orlando Brown because he's not a scheme fit. 

So team scheme fit has circled two names - mcglinchey and mcgary, with McGary the new OT du jour. I'm not opposed per se. 

But the thing with McGary is the falcons had more run sets than the Bears did last year. They protected their OTs in pass sets as much as the bears did. So what you see with McGary is an OT that is an exceptional run tackle but an ok pass pro guy, improved but not great. He's like Braxton jones at RT. Except we hope Jones gets better while McGary is now 28. Was what we didn't like about Larry Borom that he wasn't good enough at run blocking? PFF grades pass blocking at equal to McGary.

Now McGlinchey has the same problem, it's just that he was not in an offense that was protecting their tackles as much. So we know he can provide adequate pass blocking when they aren't doing so much to protect him.

But those are bears scheme fits. And apparently this group sees the chicago bears as prioritizing the run heavy stuff they did last year and not trying to normalize that a bit with being able to pass on non-obvious downs. But I feel like the same group also wants the bears to improve passing. If you only want the bears to do what they did last year with an even better run blocking RT...Kaleb McGary is for you.

No Jawaan Taylor is the inverse. He is young and I haven't not heard he's a scheme fit. He was great at Pass Pro but bad at running. The Jags passed a lot, and he was good at it. I'd much rather try that out.

But then you have Brown, who also was in an offense that passed a lot, and opponents tried to stop the pass, and they could not get around his massive arms. Apparently we don't need that because we need to run. 

The smart people know we just need to focus exclusively on optimizing the bears run, put all pass improvements on Justin. 

I hate it.

Taylor is interesting because he wasn't very good early in his career, but he was also extremely young. Last season he was significantly improved - so are you getting someone making a real jump or did Lawrenece help him out, etc.  Either way - I like Taylor's age and upside vs. the others. But I also go back to - just pay Brown LT money and put him at RT. He was a mauler there and I presume would be a fit under any scheme's.  

IF he wasn't - I don't think Biggs would have had a whole write-up on Brown, but I also get that scheme does matter.  But I do think they make an upgrade at RT and if they are getting future 1st's - they see what Jones can do with a full offseason. He clearly has good athletic ability so he doesn't seem like someone who will has a low ceiling.  

1 hour ago, dasox24 said:

Aaron Jones restructured his contract a couple weeks ago, so he's staying in Green Bay.  But the good news if you're looking for a RB is the draft class is deep, and the FA market is still solid even without the top-end guys.  I'd be happy if Monty comes back, but on a deal that's easy to get out of before it expires.  Like a 3 year deal, but if we cut him after Year 1 or Year 2, the amount of dead money is low.

Monty is a good dude and relatively durable. But he is the very definition of a JAG. They need to find better and shouldn't tie up money in that position for that sort of player.  At this point - I'd rather go a Bijan Robinson or high upside RB and take a chance there (especially if they can get multiple picks) and really elevate the skill position spots vs. a Monty who just hasn't been 3 dimensional enough. 

Now if they decide to defer - fine - but they better still use a late round pick on a back, cause Ebner isn't it.  

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

Pretty sure if Monty goes they are gonna let Herbert start and draft a guy that hopefully can be the next in line.  Seems to be a bears constant, and it has worked

This would be my preference.  Spend money elsewhere.  Unless you have an absolute game changer at RB, they're very replaceable.

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Monty is a good dude and relatively durable. But he is the very definition of a JAG. They need to find better and shouldn't tie up money in that position for that sort of player.  At this point - I'd rather go a Bijan Robinson or high upside RB and take a chance there (especially if they can get multiple picks) and really elevate the skill position spots vs. a Monty who just hasn't been 3 dimensional enough. 

Now if they decide to defer - fine - but they better still use a late round pick on a back, cause Ebner isn't it.  

I think it totally depends on how free agency plays out.  I don't anticipate Monty having a huge market at the start of free agency.  My expectation is the Bears will make moves on other free agents to start, and take a wait-and-see approach with Monty.  If they close on some bigger deals and/or with players at positions of greater need, then Monty walks.  If they don't close some of those deals, then they consider bringing Monty back as long as it's on reasonable terms.  If another team offers him more than we want to allocate at RB, then best of luck to him elsewhere.

My ideal scenario is we add multiple picks by trading back, and then utilize one of those picks on a RB.  Potentially Gibbs in the 2nd round, or any number of quality guys in the 3rd or 4th.

Edited by dasox24

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

Taylor is interesting because he wasn't very good early in his career, but he was also extremely young. Last season he was significantly improved - so are you getting someone making a real jump or did Lawrenece help him out, etc.  Either way - I like Taylor's age and upside vs. the others. But I also go back to - just pay Brown LT money and put him at RT. He was a mauler there and I presume would be a fit under any scheme's.  

IF he wasn't - I don't think Biggs would have had a whole write-up on Brown, but I also get that scheme does matter.  But I do think they make an upgrade at RT and if they are getting future 1st's - they see what Jones can do with a full offseason. He clearly has good athletic ability so he doesn't seem like someone who will has a low ceiling.  

I agree. I think bears are interested and the thought wil lbe "you can't teach just being a giant human who has already shown they know how to use hands"

Took a dive into the RBs.... Honestly, let's just keep Chase Brown in Illinois. 

He checks all the boxes and they more than likely won't have to spend an early round pick on him. He had a really good combine to back up his stats but I still think you can get him in the 4th or maybe even the 5th.  

13 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I wanted more…but probably because I am undervaluing DJ Moore in sense I would like one wideout on a rookie scale deal Vs now we have 3 who all want to be paid. 

That said - they have cap space and this clearly gives Fields way more options. 

7 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I wanted more…but probably because I am undervaluing DJ Moore in sense I would like one wideout on a rookie scale deal Vs now we have 3 who all want to be paid. 

Yep, this seems light to me for the #1 pick

10 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

It depends on how you value Moore. 

The #9 and #61 pick have a draft value of 1642 draft points. The first pick is worth 3000. 

If you assume the Panthers are a bottom 10 team again next year, then that 2024 first is worth anywhere from 1500 to 650 draft points. Let's say it's 650.

The 2025 2nd is probably irrelevant at this point, but let's value that at 100 points. That puts the total draft pick value at almost 2400 points. 600 points is the approximate value of the 31st pick in the draft this year. 

If you think Moore is worth a late 1st or early 2nd rounder, then this is a pretty fair deal. if you think Moore is worth less than that, then you probably think the Bears could have gotten more. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Moore is already on his contract. He’s got 3 more years on a good deal. He was signed to an extension last year.

Moore is really good, he’s somehow had worse QBs than the Bears.

Just now, bmags said:

Moore is already on his contract. He’s got 3 more years on a good deal. He was signed to an extension last year.

Moore is really good, he’s somehow had worse QBs than the Bears.

I had Moore in fantasy last year and it was painful how underused and mis-used he was.