2023-24 NFL Season Thread

6 minutes ago, chw42 said:

It depends on how you value Moore. 

The #9 and #61 pick have a draft value of 1642 draft points. The first pick is worth 3000. 

If you assume the Panthers are a bottom 10 team again next year, then that 2024 first is worth anywhere from 1500 to 650 draft points. Let's say it's 650.

The 2025 2nd is probably irrelevant at this point, but let's value that at 100 points. That puts the total draft pick value at almost 2400 points. 600 points is the approximate value of the 31st pick in the draft this year. 

If you think Moore is worth a late 1st or early 2nd rounder, then this is a pretty fair deal. if you think Moore is worth less than that, then you probably think the Bears could have gotten more. 

Most of the mock trades had teams paying 20% above the #1 pick trade value for it. This is definitely underwhelming, and Moore’s contract is going to eat into our cap space.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I guess the football knowers are here but I don’t know I’ve always thought DJ Moore was great, but he has been in shitty offenses with awful QBs, not much different production than AJ Brown had in Tn

Brown at least had a competent QB in Tannehill. Moore's been productive except when Baker Mayfield was QB in Carolina. 

Moore isn't elite or a true WR1, but he's a huge upgrade over anyone on this current Bears roster or what's out there in free agency. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Most of the mock trades had teams paying 20% above the #1 pick trade value for it. This is definitely underwhelming, and Moore’s contract is going to eat into our cap space.

We have to spend something like $240 million to meet the minimum this year. Moore has $40 million guaranteed, his salary is cheaper than what you'll find in free agency. 

Edited by chw42

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

No because he's on a sweetheart deal. They traded him because they had to to get the deal done. 

Look, it’s a good deal for the Bears when you consider they don’t need to draft a QB. I personally think it was a little light though. 

15 minutes ago, bmags said:

I guess the football knowers are here but I don’t know I’ve always thought DJ Moore was great, but he has been in shitty offenses with awful QBs, not much different production than AJ Brown had in Tn

I see Moore as more of a good #2. He caught 21 TDs in 5 seasons and Brown caught 23 in just 3 with Titans. Brown is definitely a bigger body guy with better measurements and a legit red zone target.

Put it this way, if Bears were to trade the #1 pick and take a $20M cap hit I would expect a chance at a franchise changing defender or a #1 receiver in addition to future picks.

9 minutes ago, chw42 said:

We have to spend something like $240 million to meet the minimum this year. Moore has $40 million guaranteed, his salary is cheaper than what you'll find in free agency. 

They have a number of holes on the team and meeting the salary floor shouldn’t have been an issue.

1 minute ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I see Moore as more of a good #2. He caught 21 TDs in 5 seasons and Brown caught 23 in just 3 with Titans. Brown is definitely a bigger body guy with better measurements and a legit red zone target.

Put it this way, if Bears were to trade the #1 pick and take a $20M cap hit I would expect a chance at a franchise changing defender or a #1 receiver in addition to future picks.

Touchdowns eh. 

2 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

They have a number of holes on the team and meeting the salary floor shouldn’t have been an issue.

The point is Moores contract is not a penalty to any acquiring team. You aren’t getting a discount because of his contract which is incredibly team friendly.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Moore is already on his contract. He’s got 3 more years on a good deal. He was signed to an extension last year.

Moore is really good, he’s somehow had worse QBs than the Bears.

Yeah - I knew he signed but didn’t realize bears were on hook for such a reasonable deal. 

48 minutes ago, bmags said:

The point is Moores contract is not a penalty to any acquiring team. You aren’t getting a discount because of his contract which is incredibly team friendly.

It is not incredibly team friendly. I wouldn’t even call it team friendly. WR is one position you get good production immediately from rookie contracts. See 2022 Mooney. 

• Fire 1

I do think DJ Moore is a good fit for Fields. Good route runner - creates seperation. If Mooney is back to healthy with Claypool and Kmet that is a way better receiving corps. Good speed, plus some size. Velus as a gadget guy and ESB as a depth piece. 

Seperately - get an explosive running back, upgrade line, and this offense is much better on paper than where they started last year. And if Fields doesn’t work - you have 2 frp next year to turn into your next qb. 

1 minute ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

It is not incredibly team friendly. I wouldn’t even call it team friendly. WR is one position you get good production immediately from rookie contracts. See 2022 Mooney. 

Moore signed his deal before the FA wr market blew up last year. They got him at a 25 percent plus discount of what he would get if he were a ufa this offseason. 

• Like 1