2023-24 NFL Season Thread

@T R Uthanks for making the thread interesting. 

Overall I think they did well. Maybe they could have some a little better, but trading the pick eventually made sense to me after I realized it was trade Fields or trade the pick. 

My hunch is the #9 gets packaged for a  line guy (D or O) in a similar situation to Moore. Immediate impact, less risk, less upside than drafting. 

7 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

For the record - I would have preferred getting the Panthers other 2nd (plus the one we already got) and a 2025 1st vs Moore. 

I’d than take my chances on finding a wideout and having the shot at getting two blue chip players in next two years on rookie deals with those high end picks. 

Hindsight 20/20 - do this trade and don’t do the Claypool trade but revisionist history. 

I think this is much preferable considering:

- This wasn’t a great wideout draft unless you were looking for a slot receiver

- the FA market for WR looks like it will continue to be dry

- You have to make the 5th year option decision on fields by end of next year

Hopkins, Evans may have been great this year, but they are on the precipice of age declines. Those can happen fast. I don’t think there is a better receiver than Moore coming available this offseason.

And lastly, this weakens the panthers, which may lead to a much better first rounder next year. They have a great oline, but the skill players are rough for a rookie qb. If they go a raw qb like Richardson, we are talking about a darnold led team with less weapons.

• Like 2

We all know the Panthers QB situation sucked but here are some alarming advanced stats.....

Catchable Target Rate-  Percentage of total targets that were catchable.  

Moore- 64.4%.. 90th in the NFL

Target Accuracy- grades the Accuracy of each throw on a scale of 1-10. Ratings over 8.0 are afforded highly accurate targets and those below 7.0 are relatively inaccurate 

Moore- 6.3... 97th in the NFL

Idk how much stock to put into those,  but my goodness does that sound bad. 

3 hours ago, bmags said:

I think this is much preferable considering:

- This wasn’t a great wideout draft unless you were looking for a slot receiver

- the FA market for WR looks like it will continue to be dry

- You have to make the 5th year option decision on fields by end of next year

Hopkins, Evans may have been great this year, but they are on the precipice of age declines. Those can happen fast. I don’t think there is a better receiver than Moore coming available this offseason.

And lastly, this weakens the panthers, which may lead to a much better first rounder next year. They have a great oline, but the skill players are rough for a rookie qb. If they go a raw qb like Richardson, we are talking about a darnold led team with less weapons.

This is fair and I am not arguing either. Overall I am happy with the outcome. Not elated but happy. Solid move.

1 hour ago, scs787 said:

When do future bets start for the NFL? 

I'm already drinking the kool-aid.  I know Moore is under contract for 3 more years, but I think Poles is gonna try to win this year. 

I said a few months ago they should absolutely be competing for a playoff spot this season, and nothing has changed since then. Teams go worst to first every year in the NFL, the Bears should absolutely be that team this year. Those should be the expectations. 

1 hour ago, Tony said:

I said a few months ago they should absolutely be competing for a playoff spot this season, and nothing has changed since then. Teams go worst to first every year in the NFL, the Bears should absolutely be that team this year. Those should be the expectations. 

I thought a wild card push was possible,  now I kinda expect it, and the division should be possible.  

LT is gonna be the biggest mystery to me. I really do like Braxton Jones and I really think if he puts in the work in the gym, he can be the answer....Brown both intrigues and scares me. He's definitely not what they look for but the talent is obviously there....Then there's Skoronski who I just love, but is arm length reallllly an issue at LT?... Paris Johnson intrigues me as well, but is 9 too high?....Taylor, McGlinchey, and the ATL guy are RTs. 

If Justin Fields is a bust as some people insist he is (though I will say that the things they say about him are basically the same things they said about Lamar Jackson, Jalen Hurts, and Josh Allen, and still say about Jackson and Hurts) they have enough future draft capital to move on and start over.

• Like 1

Also.... Panthers are more than likely gonna suck next year. I don't think any of the 4 QBs are gonna be that good in year 1, they don't have a 2nd round pick to add to their bad offense without Moore and McCaffery.  

I would not be surprised if they are a top 5 team next year. If Justin is not the guy, they very well could have 2 high picks and be set up for one of the 2 stud QBs next year. 

46 minutes ago, scs787 said:

Also.... Panthers are more than likely gonna suck next year. I don't think any of the 4 QBs are gonna be that good in year 1, they don't have a 2nd round pick to add to their bad offense without Moore and McCaffery.  

I would not be surprised if they are a top 5 team next year. If Justin is not the guy, they very well could have 2 high picks and be set up for one of the 2 stud QBs next year. 

They have a 2nd rounder - it is a pretty early one. 

The Panthers will be bad next year but their division SUCKS so if everyone on their team can spell their name, avoid drooling during film sessions, make a poopy, and avoid chewing their fingers off, they should win like 5 games

49 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

They have a 2nd rounder - it is a pretty early one. 

Ooof, I probably should have checked that before posting. Lol.

Point remains. Who is their rookie QB throwing to next year? Ol dude they got from the Jags is their best WR and right now he would probably be the #4 WR on the Bears. The WR draft class sucks as does the free agent market.  

They could be bad bad. 

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

He’s very good - so I have no issue. Him or the tackles or a trade down and Bijan. 

I like Kancey too. 

Van Ness has really intrigued me though. I don't care for the free agent DEs. Davenport is worth a shot and if he ever stays healthy he has big upside. I like Yannick but not as your #1 guy. 

I'd love Hargrave. 

Van Ness-Hargrave-2R-Yannick