2023-24 NFL Season Thread

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

So my assumption for Tunsil was KC may have been floating their first (as they did for Orlando Brown way back when). Similar in some ways, but Brown was coming on a 3rd rounder contract whereas Tunsil is on a full deal and looking to become highest paid LT.

But their pick this year is around 600 points on the JJ chart. Bears could offer the baltimore 2nd rounder this year and 2nd rounder next year and that's around 640 points of value. 

I would do that, but can't say I'd do any more since he will be a huge cost.

I'd absolutely do that. 

Starting to think they really like Braxton Jones though. I'm not mad at em for that either. I think if he puts the work in to get stronger he can be more than solid. 

24 minutes ago, scs787 said:

2 guys on the trade market that intrigue me. Laremy Tunsil and Austin Eckler. 

Tunsil might be too rich for my blood, but I would really love a guy like Eckler given his recieving prowess. 

I think Ekler is a good player, and an even better fantasy producer. 

But I don't love the Bears spending actual resources (draft capital and cap space) on a 28 year old RB. Too many holes right now to spend on a luxury item. He makes way more sense in Buffalo or Miami, teams ready to win a SB and are a few pieces away. I'd be excited if the Bears got him, but I know it wouldn't be a smart move. 

ugh, poor jets. I can't imagine if he rug pulls them and they are standing there with nathaniel hackett as OC, cutting promising young receivers for randall cobb, and then going back to zach wilson like heyyy

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

ugh, poor jets. I can't imagine if he rug pulls them and they are standing there with nathaniel hackett as OC, cutting promising young receivers for randall cobb, and then going back to zach wilson like heyyy

Reminds me of when the Sox tried to lure Machado by signing all of his buddies. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Pretty nice - they also need cap space for any extensions they will give (i.e., Kmet / Mooney / etc).  

Lemming said last night he projected them having around 30-35 mil left based on a 7 million or so draft class, some bonuses, and re-signing some players

18 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Hard to imagine Edmund fitting better than Roquan TBH. I’ve read that Eberflus wanted a playmaker and a turnover machine from this position and Edmunds is not that.

Roquan's a 2-gap guy, excels when you have big tackles in front of him occupying blockers and he can seek/destroy ballcarriers in space, but when they changed to a one-gap system where gap integrity was more important he was still *good* but had a ton of missed tackles and had a lot of tackles 10 yards down the field.

It's odd to me, though, that Roquan didn't really get any national recognition (First team All-Pro, Pro Bowl) until *after* he was traded from the Bears, and made the Pro Bowl with mostly his time as a Bear factoring in at that point. when 2022 was easily his worst season before he got traded.

3 hours ago, bmags said:

Bears discourse turns out is exhausting. 

This is not my dream free agency, largely due to dline. But you walk back and really who I wanted was Payne. And Hargrave would have been excellent, but hard not to notice he may have chosen a perennial nfc top seed.

The right tackle stuff is hard. The reality is I want an upgrade, but all of us admitted none of these dudes were really that exciting. And that’s a difficult choice knowing you could get a cheaper, possibly better player in draft (I still think brown is the guy worth going after, and if you get him to be a RT that’s a home run).

With the linebackers you at least understand what they are doing. Unlike with maybe the 3Ts and RTs, these guys likely graded as long term starters. They now have 2 good levels in S and LB (hopefully).

But yeah unfortunately it’s facing up to fact that going from worst to first is hard, especially for bears who weren’t collecting 1st round talent via the draft for a few years prior.

Need a great, great draft. 

I can't see how it'll be so hard for Poles to find a RT when he has a top 10 pick, two 2s, and a 3rd. I'm much less worried about that than I am about finding defensive line talent. Going into FA they needed an entire defensive line, and 3-techs don't exactly grow on trees.

The more I read about Walker, the more I realize he's likely to play as much (or more) at 3T than he is at DE, even though everyone listed him as a DE when the signing was first reported.  He was most productive at 3T and LE for the Titans last year (3.5 sacks at each position; 10 pressures from LE and 8 pressures from 3T).  Shout out to Adam Jahns for pulling that info.

I like the position versatility a lot.  I didn't love the signing at first, but I understand why they did it.  And I can't really complain when we need at least 4-5 new DL.

Walker is at least a solid move and it doesn't bust the cap at all. I will say Jacobi Myers ended up getting a lot less than I expected (maybe the wideout market has cooled down a bit).  That Myer contract should help a bit in terms of Mooney (I hope). Cause Mooney isn't Moore.  

21 minutes ago, dasox24 said:

The more I read about Walker, the more I realize he's likely to play as much (or more) at 3T than he is at DE, even though everyone listed him as a DE when the signing was first reported.  He was most productive at 3T and LE for the Titans last year (3.5 sacks at each position; 10 pressures from LE and 8 pressures from 3T).  Shout out to Adam Jahns for pulling that info.

I like the position versatility a lot.  I didn't love the signing at first, but I understand why they did it.  And I can't really complain when we need at least 4-5 new DL.

I made mention of that when he signed. Have to wonder if there's a plan to make him a full time 3T. Maybe give him an off-season to bulk up just a bit more too. I'd honestly be down with that plan.

I don't think they're getting a good starting 3T in the draft beyond the 1st round so they may have to get creative here. 

Edited by scs787

6 minutes ago, scs787 said:

I made mention of that when he signed. Have to wonder if there's a plan to make him a full time 3T. Maybe give him an off-season to bulk up just a bit more too. I'd honestly be down with that plan.

I don't think they're getting a good starting 3T in the draft so they may have to get creative here. 

Buckner could be had. Plus you have guys like Van Ness or a Carter in the draft. Options aren’t as bleak as we think and we can go cheaper at RT and than invest one of 2nd rounders in one of the tackles too. So go dline round 1, one of round 2 on tackle, maybe other on center or a rb/te/db? 

3 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Buckner could be had. Plus you have guys like Van Ness or a Carter in the draft. Options aren’t as bleak as we think and we can go cheaper at RT and than invest one of 2nd rounders in one of the tackles too. So go dline round 1, one of round 2 on tackle, maybe other on center or a rb/te/db? 

Yeah, I'm off my game trying to post between  stops at work. Edited my post to add in beyond the 1st round. Definitely some 3T options in the 1st, but beyond that it's bleak. I think they need to go OT in 1R.

58 minutes ago, lostfan said:

I can't see how it'll be so hard for Poles to find a RT when he has a top 10 pick, two 2s, and a 3rd. I'm much less worried about that than I am about finding defensive line talent. Going into FA they needed an entire defensive line, and 3-techs don't exactly grow on trees.

I mean, I really did not want to go into the draft basically knowing we had to use first round pick on something. 2nd round tackles always seem to go wrong or end up guards, and then you have to be super confident about hitting on a 3rd or later round tackle. 

Not my favorite idea. Maybe you try for a comeback year for donovan smith.

42 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Only a 3rd rounder but I have to believe his lack of durability played into that

I actually thought 3rd rounder was a pretty good get for Raiders, but reality is there just is no receiver upgrades to be made for Giants. The draft is full of really nice slot guys which isn't really their need, or pretty big projects. Feels like this was one of the bigger playmakers they could get.