2023-24 NFL Season Thread

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Committing big dollars to a 28 year old RB ahead of a deep RB draft and when three of your four top receivers are coming up for extensions doesn’t make a lick of sense.  Just draft a RB in the 4th and call it a day.

That's what they'll do. I think Herbert is pretty good, just need some balance there with another "guy" 

• Like 1

The attorney note on carter is interesting. Mainly that he was originally on scene when authorities arrived and was told he could leave. I do wonder if they told him he could leave because he may have not indicated he was "racing", but, he ultimately didn't plea to that and I'm sure a good lawyer could have caused uncertainty they could convict lying there based on wording.

I would assume the lawyer note is probably right on the DUI stuff but no idea. Regardless, he was not brought in and we don't know.

Finally - racing is bad. Had they hit a car and killed innocent people he'd be in jail for a decade. That that didn't happen is luck.

Would I draft him? yes.

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

Bmags, pro-getting away with it, noted 

Those last sentences ran intogether too much. IMO there is little difference between the fact that he didn't hit someone or did, the danger and threat was the same. Didn't mean for it to read "this guys got good luck we should draft him"

However - imo there is a difference between reckless behavior and violent behavior and I'd still be ok with drafting someone who did that given where things ended up.

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

Bmags, pro-getting away with it, noted 

Yes, but he's a 21 or 22 year old. Doing stupid things, especially with celebrity status, is pretty standard. He's lucky he didn't kill himself, or hit someone and kill them,  but what he did isn't a deal breaker for me either, He didn't rape anyone, or beat anyone.  Although the weight gain and other skipped activities does raise a flag. He's either going to be the biggest bargain or biggest bust, and whatever side that is right will be able to say I told you so. 

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Those last sentences ran intogether too much. IMO there is little difference between the fact that he didn't hit someone or did, the danger and threat was the same. Didn't mean for it to read "this guys got good luck we should draft him"

However - imo there is a difference between reckless behavior and violent behavior and I'd still be ok with drafting someone who did that given where things ended up.

I didn’t think green was necessary Bmags I’m just messing with you. @Dick Allen same thing I didn’t mean that to come off as me criticizing Bmags and condemning Carter to a life of a nomad 

4 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

No.  Draft a guy 

I’m not for that trade, I just think that is what the compensation would be to get Ekeler. 

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Yes, but he's a 21 or 22 year old. Doing stupid things, especially with celebrity status, is pretty standard. He's lucky he didn't kill himself, or hit someone and kill them,  but what he did isn't a deal breaker for me either, He didn't rape anyone, or beat anyone.  Although the weight gain and other skipped activities does raise a flag. He's either going to be the biggest bargain or biggest bust, and whatever side that is right will be able to say I told you so. 

Being stupid at that age is one thing, but his weight and skipped activities is a red flag too. I wouldn’t draft Carter if he fell to number 9, in my mind the need for a left tackle is greater than the defensive line, given the depth at defensive line in the draft.

10 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I didn’t think green was necessary Bmags I’m just messing with you. @Dick Allen same thing I didn’t mean that to come off as me criticizing Bmags and condemning Carter to a life of a nomad 

I didn't really think you did. But it is an interesting case. It would be easy to be on either side of it. The Bears not landing a tackle yet indicates to me, the kid from NU could be their guy. I looked the other day, the #9 pick has been used many times on OL who have played in multiple Pro Bowls.

Edited by Dick Allen

8 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I’m not for that trade, I just think that is what the compensation would be to get Ekeler. 

Being stupid at that age is one thing, but his weight and skipped activities is a red flag too. I wouldn’t draft Carter if he fell to number 9, in my mind the need for a left tackle is greater than the defensive line, given the depth at defensive line in the draft.

It's true but one might be the reason for another. Losing a friend after making a costly decision, getting charged with it at the combine, I'm assuming that should weigh on a non-psychopath. 

But that's for teams to figure out.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

It's true but one might be the reason for another. Losing a friend after making a costly decision, getting charged with it at the combine, I'm assuming that should weigh on a non-psychopath. 

But that's for teams to figure out.

They should have moved his pro day then.  What was the hurry. 

4 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Do you believe if someone starts 3/10 that means that they will end up at 30/100?  That’s kind of a weird reply, I think it’s safe to say that increasing that amount of pass blocking responsibilities 3x would have exposed him much more last season

That's what the Bears need to determine.  He may end up better than Brown and will certainly be incredibly cheaper for the next 4 years. 

He should show growth going into next season.  Brown is what he is and the Chiefs passed on him. 

14 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

They should have moved his pro day then.  What was the hurry. 

There's like 40 draftees at georgia 2 possibly 3 other first round picks. If he was only one I think it would have been more likely.

On a side, less important note. To me I'd love Hendon Hooker. Because of his ACL, he wasn't a good project given he may not be available until december. 

I think with the ravens you see the benefit of having a similar QB skillset. I think a lot of the "budget fields" stuff I see is too focused on running QBs. But I think the other aspect is you want that downfield mindset. 

Hooker is old for a prospect, and injured. So I hope he'd be a later round pick (5th or so) if bears got him. But he's huge too, he can handle some of that goal line stuff Fields does and keep the rushing plays. And his stats look so much like fields once he hit TN.

Just now, scs787 said:

Pretty good stuff here on Billings. For a stretch last year he was one of the better DTs in the league. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/justblogbaby.com/2022/12/03/raiders-special-defensive-tackle-andrew-billings/amp/2/

So for context I was like "ok but how good did like mike pennel jr or angelo blackson look prior to last year" (this was my internal dialogue) and...not good. Blackson was ok in 2021 but horrible prior. Same with Pennel. They got a lot of run last year.

Obviously reason why I thought to look was AQM who was a warm body. But -- good on PFF who honestly does seem to do a good job showing who's number stats may be fraudulant. I think I'm a full on PFF believer now. Makes you worry about Nkagoue

2 hours ago, The Beast said:

What I wonder is how much is the other non football stuff effecting him. For all we know he had been nervous as can be for past few weeks post the law news. If so - can see that as a reason you aren’t yourself. 

Or it could be as you all say - but I see just as likely scenario as the above. Kid did a kid thing. Stupid yes, lucky sure, but It doesn’t make him a monster - that said - he got caught and is in a big mess because of it. For a normal human being - I would think you would be a mess (lack of sleep, focus, etc until you get some resolution). 

4 hours ago, bmags said:

On a side, less important note. To me I'd love Hendon Hooker. Because of his ACL, he wasn't a good project given he may not be available until december. 

I think with the ravens you see the benefit of having a similar QB skillset. I think a lot of the "budget fields" stuff I see is too focused on running QBs. But I think the other aspect is you want that downfield mindset. 

Hooker is old for a prospect, and injured. So I hope he'd be a later round pick (5th or so) if bears got him. But he's huge too, he can handle some of that goal line stuff Fields does and keep the rushing plays. And his stats look so much like fields once he hit TN.

I always pick Stetson Bennett around pick 200 in my mock draft. It can’t hurt to have a guy like that in the quarterback room. I would take Hooker on a late round flyer, why not.

3 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

What I wonder is how much is the other non football stuff effecting him. For all we know he had been nervous as can be for past few weeks post the law news. If so - can see that as a reason you aren’t yourself. 

Or it could be as you all say - but I see just as likely scenario as the above. Kid did a kid thing. Stupid yes, lucky sure, but It doesn’t make him a monster - that said - he got caught and is in a big mess because of it. For a normal human being - I would think you would be a mess (lack of sleep, focus, etc until you get some resolution). 

I hope that what happened with him being irresponsible and reckless isn’t a trend of things to come with him. There’s no good comparison but I’d hope he doesn’t have any more questionable decisions or even worse with run ins with law enforcement.