2023-24 NFL Season Thread

They need a rb who can catch the ball. Right now they have none. Fields needs to be able to take advantage of easy plays and giving him a good rb outlet who can catch and pass protect is important. Foreman is none of those things. He is more like Herbert - who I like, but we donā€™t need two. They still have a need in draft for one who can hopefully be a bit more dynamic.Ā 

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

They need a rb who can catch the ball. Right now they have none. Fields needs to be able to take advantage of easy plays and giving him a good rb outlet who can catch and pass protect is important. Foreman is none of those things. He is more like Herbert - who I like, but we donā€™t need two. They still have a need in draft for one who can hopefully be a bit more dynamic.Ā 

Isnā€™t that the reason we signed Homer?

8 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

It seems like at least for this year, they are going running back by committee. I think they draft another running back, maybe one that is more of a catching back. I guess I donā€™t see as big of a need for a pass blocking back if they haveĀ Khari Blasingame and Fieldsā€™ athleticism.

I really, really need to stop listening to the SCORE.

Mully and Haugh are now just becoming contrarian in their analysis of sports to gain a rise out of the audience.

They could not rationalize that Poles isn't going to over pay for flawed talent.Ā  There were no legitimate DL or OL that were sure fire solutions to improve the team and he was not going to over spend.Ā 

They need to let he scheme work on defense and spend on offense.Ā 

Let the offseason play out.Ā  He is not spending on older players and I have no beef with that.Ā 

23 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I really, really need to stop listening to the SCORE.

Mully and Haugh are now just becoming contrarian in their analysis of sports to gain a rise out of the audience.

They could not rationalize that Poles isn't going to over pay for flawed talent.Ā  There were no legitimate DL or OL that were sure fire solutions to improve the team and he was not going to over spend.Ā 

They need to let he scheme work on defense and spend on offense.Ā 

Let the offseason play out.Ā  He is not spending on older players and I have no beef with that.Ā 

I mean, I think it's fine. I get this way. but had they signed mcGlinchey would I have been like "this succcks!". It'd be nice not to go into the draft not being like "ok have to take RT first, and if we don't, eek".

That said, we have flexibility with picks and cap, which I hope we'll jump at when someone becomes available. And the fact that they used it for DJ moore when it was so barren at WR is a good example of this. A surprise cut may still yet happen. Taylor Lewan may decide he loves Luke Steckel and wants to finish his career in chicago in competition against a rookie.

You look at next year and Terance Steele and Tunsil are available potentially.Ā 

Ā 

Just now, Kyyle23 said:

One door closes, another opens?

Ā 

Ā 

I'm a bit confused by that. Maybe he doesn't want to move to RT either, but La'El collins is out for the year (i'm pretty sure? He tore his ACL in playoffs). He has a starting tackle job if he moves over.

And if he demands LT with bears...meh

A lot of OTs are very comfortable on one side and have trouble moving to the other.Ā  Sure, there are guys who have done it.Ā  But several Pro Bowl OTs (Taylor Lewan and Mitchell Schwartz are recent examples) have said they could never play the other side.Ā  There is so much mechanically that goes into pass sets (the initial leg kick, feet positioning, hand positioning, how you punch, etc).Ā  It all becomes an exact mirror when you switch sides of the line, and that's not necessarily easy to do when you've been doing it one way for years.Ā  I recall one player liken it to trying to throw the ball with your non-dominant hand.

I think that's one reason why we may steer away from guys who only play (or want to play) LT.Ā  Braxton Jones might not feel comfortable, or play at his best, on the right side of the line.Ā  So we can't just sign/trade for a LT, and immediately say "well, we'll just put Braxton at RT."Ā  Just something to keep in mind.Ā  With that said, I could be totally wrong and maybe Braxton would have no issue moving to the right side.Ā  It just depends on the player.

19 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Biggest difference between Foreman and Herbert is it appears Foreman is a good pass blocker. Haven't really seen anything from his NFL career, but one of the notes I seen about him coming put of the draft is he allowed zero sacks on 160 pass blocking attempts.Ā 

48 minutes ago, scs787 said:

Biggest difference between Foreman and Herbert is it appears Foreman is a good pass blocker. Haven't really seen anything from his NFL career, but one of the notes I seen about him coming put of the draft is he allowed zero sacks on 160 pass blocking attempts.Ā 

Them's pretty good odds.

18 hours ago, The Beast said:

What if they drafted Johnson or Skoronski and started them at right tackle, so they could see if Jones is capable at LT? If he isnā€™t, then they could start the guy they draft at LT.

I think it's pretty clear that that is the plan. Definitely not a bad plan either. I know you like to go into the draft looking at BPA and not forcing yourself into a position,Ā  but this really works out.Ā 

• Like 1

Jags fan myself. I didn't really expect us to go all out if you will in free agency and we haven't; just bringing back the right guys and that's been fine by me. We should win the division but nothing is guaranteed in the NFL.

As far as the Bears go: I think ya'll should be way better than last season and Fields should be improved.

Edited by Taz

10 minutes ago, scs787 said:

Mel Kiper just said the Northwestern DLineman, who I won't even try spelling, could go as high as TEN in the draft! I know he blew up the combine, but damn! The PFF mocks routinely have him available for the Bears in the 2nd round.Ā 

hmmm...I bet $25 kiper is wrong.

33 minutes ago, bmags said:

hmmm...I bet $25 kiper is wrong.

I definitely don't see him going 10, but I would not be shocked if he was gone before the Bears 2nd round pick nor would I be shocked if he went late in the 1st.Ā 

Ā 

Guy had a ridiculous day at the combine and someone's gonna put some stock into that.Ā