2023-24 NFL Season Thread

10 hours ago, scs787 said:

Mel Kiper just said the Northwestern DLineman, who I won't even try spelling, could go as high as TEN in the draft! I know he blew up the combine, but damn! The PFF mocks routinely have him available for the Bears in the 2nd round. 

It would certainly be cool to see two first round picks come from a bad Northwestern team. PFF also has some dude named Andre Carter II falling in the draft. Never heard of him.

14 minutes ago, The Beast said:

It would certainly be cool to see two first round picks come from a bad Northwestern team. PFF also has some dude named Andre Carter II falling in the draft. Never heard of him.

He’s pretty cool. Raw because of his army commitments, but you see him on the field and can’t help but be intrigued. He was rumored as a second round pick but he’s definitely a guy that could be a much later pick. Could be years before he’s productive.

• Thanks 1

Was DJ Fluker ever any good in the NFL?  He's trying to make a comeback and he's in ridiculously good shape. Would you take a chance on him? I'd still wanna take an OT very early, but maybe bringing him in means you don't necessarily have to take one in the 1st. 

23 minutes ago, scs787 said:

Was DJ Fluker ever any good in the NFL?  He's trying to make a comeback and he's in ridiculously good shape. Would you take a chance on him? I'd still wanna take an OT very early, but maybe bringing him in means you don't necessarily have to take one in the 1st. 

He had some decent years it looks like, but bounced around a lot at the end.  

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Who?  They really don’t have a lot of players that need it right now, the rebuild has flipped the old out 

Jaylon Johnson, Kmet, and Mooney are at least 3 options. Claypool as well - although i presume they wouldn't want to extend him at this point (just yet).  

14 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Who?  They really don’t have a lot of players that need it right now, the rebuild has flipped the old out 

So it's 40 mill in cash they need to spend prior to March 2024. Shouldn't be too hard to hit with some additional vet deals + extensions.

41 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Jaylon Johnson, Kmet, and Mooney are at least 3 options. Claypool as well - although i presume they wouldn't want to extend him at this point (just yet).  

Of the three of those, I would say JJ is most likely, but I don’t see it in the next month.  Kmet Claypool and Mooney I’m guessing they wait and see, especially Mooney and Claypool 

22 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Not sure how NFL works but is Fields an option or do rookies have to stay fixed through five years? 

I think Bears will keep him on that rookie contract until they are forced to pay him, just for competitive timing issues, but they have 2 years left.  They could extend if they want to 

5 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I think Bears will keep him on that rookie contract until they are forced to pay him, just for competitive timing issues, but they have 2 years left.  They could extend if they want to 

Fields isn't extension eligible until next offseason.

30 minutes ago, bmags said:

My bad I thought after third year teams could extend if they chose to.  Like the cardinals picked up the 5th year option on Murray after his third season, then immediately extended his contract 233.5M

26 minutes ago, bmags said:

And really only if he completely goes ham would you want to sign him after this upcoming season. You would just pick up his 5th year option and than negotiate from there (knowing you have 2 franchise tags).  The only reason you start negotiating now (as in after this upcoming season) is if you have seen so much that you believe he is a true bonafide superstar (meaning we just went to like the NFC Championship and he had like 40 TD's etc).  

At that point - go ahead and pay him cause you'd rather ink that extension now vs. wait another 2 years for the QB market to be even richer.  

On 3/23/2023 at 7:02 PM, scs787 said:

Go cheap on a contract and take a flyer. You can never have too much talent at offensive line.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I need more NFL talk in my life.

Right now I'm hoping they can trade down again and find a high 2nd in return. 

To me, with questions about Skoronski's arm length, I don't think there's a big difference between him, Paris, and Broderick. The Tennessee OT is intriguing as well. I'd feel comfortable going down another 10 spots if they can get a high 2nd.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, scs787 said:

I need more NFL talk in my life.

Right now I'm hoping they can trade down again and find a high 2nd in return. 

To me, with questions about Skoronski's arm length, I don't think there's a big difference between him, Paris, and Broderick. The Tennessee OT is intriguing as well. I'd feel comfortable going down another 10 spots if they can get a high 2nd.

I think i've seen every argument that can be had now like 200 times and there is still 3 weeks left. Every mock draft sim I know exactly what players will be where. Bringgg onnnn theeee draaaaffftttt

• Like 1

Ask and I shall receive, I guess.  Bears sign DL Rasheem Green. 

His draft write up looks super encouraging.  https://www.nfl.com/prospects/rasheem-green/32004752-4533-0410-c75b-6bf0940b540a

Dude has played all over the place. Looked up his highlights and the first thing I noticed is he had 2 sacks against the Bears coming from the DT position. 

Still just 25 years old. I think he's in play for 3T if the draft doesn't fall their way. Played on a Seahawks line with Poona Ford who I still think the Bears should sign. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, scs787 said:

Really hope the Bears and Steelers rumors are true. Trading down to 17 to get 32 back would be huge....Even if it means trading 64 to make it happen. 

I think there's a really good shot one of the 4 OTs are still there. 

I think in that scenario, the Bears get 80 as well and that is only if Carter is there to take for Pittsburgh.