2023-24 NFL Season Thread

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

From what I’ve heard and read the DL the Bears drafted have 1st round talent, but motor is a question. 

I like the positions they have been focused on. Curious to see what they do to start tomorrow. OSU center could be a good fit, same with the Texas RB and their are still a couple more dlinemen if you want to triple down. I do want them to grab a developmental qb at some point too. 

• Like 1

I  not opposed to going Ringo. Depending on what knee injury is - dude is big and fast for a DB and Georgia has had quite a few good dbs come out lately, most recently the Seahawks 5th rounder last year who ended up a pro bowler. Can never have enough corners in this league. 

Decided I will punt on center. Whitehair is good enough and try again next year or wait until one more round. 

I'd like...

Luke Wypler OC

Andre Carter DE

Isaiah McGuire DE

KJ Henry DE

Jaylon Jones CB

I'm with Chisoxfn in that I can wait on the center, but Wypler might be too good to pass up. I like Whitehair,  but he's only got 1 year left and is getting old.

Bears have a ton of guys at DT, but DE is still a huge question mark to me. 

Wish I knew what the NW kids medicals were. He's gotta be worth a shot at some point! 

Edited by scs787

9 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I  not opposed to going Ringo. Depending on what knee injury is - dude is big and fast for a DB and Georgia has had quite a few good dbs come out lately, most recently the Seahawks 5th rounder last year who ended up a pro bowler. Can never have enough corners in this league. 

Decided I will punt on center. Whitehair is good enough and try again next year or wait until one more round. 

I agree on ringo. He moves so well at that size. I get he gets lost a bit but still has good ball production. Maybe a move to safety?

I like it. Looks like at the very least he can be a good 3rd down back....here's a little paragraph from a write up I read...

Johnson did a little bit of everything for Texas. Yes, he took carries and helped shoulder the workload for Robinson. But he also lead blocked and pass blocked. He took catches out of the backfield and split out wide at times. He went in motion and took running snaps from the wildcat position as well.

4 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

The linebacker - I get it, we need special teams guys. 

I thought it was a great value pick honestly. There was a time where Sewell was looked at as a 1st round talent. Also the Bears have zero depth at LB and there's an argument to be made that Sanborn shouldn't just be handed a starting spot. 

Sewell looks like a Mauler against the run and has some issues in coverage.  Dude is strong as hell though, he does not mind engaging defenders.  Strong NFL bloodlines too, has multiple brothers and cousins in the nfl.  Them and the Fullers got it locked down lol

Overall I'm satisfied with the draft. The DTs kinda give me Ego Ferguson/Will Sutton vibes, but hopefully the coaching is better this time around. High ceiling players, but low floors.. 

Sounds like Florida had Dexter "Mirror" a lot and that's the explanation for his slow get off. Guys obviously super athletic, so I believe it. He could be that dude in this scheme. 

Love Pickens length. I like having length on the DL. Both he and Dexter ran sub 4.9 40s so there's a lot of athleticism there between the 2. 

Johnson gives me AJ Dillon vibes and I'm happy with that. Really hope Getsy does more of what he did in GB and gets the RBs more involved in the passing game. 

Love the Scott pick and really hope he seems time out there. While Moore/Mooney/Claypool aren't exactly slow, they don't have the same top end speed Scott does. Guys really gonna be able to stretch the defense and open things up. 

Sewell is a stud.  I wouldn't be shocked at all if he starts over Sanborn. 

That secondary can be really fuckin good if Stephenson and Gordon play up to their potential.  There's no weak spots if everyone plays up to their potential.  

I think all 6 guys play a roll and play it well.  

• Like 2

Ngakoue still makes too much damn sense right now. Or Clowney, but he probably goes to a contender(Bears aren't far off from being one.)

Ngakoue has had at least 8 sacks every year. If you can get that and Walker can replicate his 7 sacks from last year or Gipson looks like he did 2 years ago, you might not be in that bad a shape on the ends. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scs787 said:

Ngakoue still makes too much damn sense right now. Or Clowney, but he probably goes to a contender(Bears aren't far off from being one.)

Ngakoue has had at least 8 sacks every year. If you can get that and Walker can replicate his 7 sacks from last year or Gipson looks like he did 2 years ago, you might not be in that bad a shape on the ends. 

I wouldn’t be shocked by a Robert Quinn reunion either

• Like 1

Whew i'm sad the one non sox thing I've had to spend time on is over. Thankfully F1 has a nice run of weekend races.

A few interesting things some have been touched on:

- The "Sewell as an edge" thing is really interesting. I am not sure I see bears fully converting him but wouldn't be surprised if he's allowed to compete with the small number of SAM snaps with Sanborn and possibly tried as a 3rd down rusher.

- I love reading all of the "you can use Tyler Scott as an end around/jet sweep threat". Reason being: DJ Moore was that guy in Carolina. Claypool was that guy in Pitt. Mooney was that guy in Chi. Velus is also that guy.

Lots of speed and fun could be had forcing defenses to play those WR motions honest.

- I'm imagining a great wildcat set with Roschon at QB and Tyler Scott at RB. Scott was a former RB and has incredible vision in open field. You can either pound Roschon up the middle or sell Scott out wide. Also could do the fake "QB run" with roschon and then jump pass since he's a former QB.

Let's play the what if game....

What if Justin Fields is indeed the guy and he takes that Hurts like step? 

What if Claypool lives up to his potential or even just puts numbers like he did his rookie season? 

What if Mooney is healthy and has a year like he did 2 years ago? 

What if Kmet takes another step and has a huge contract year? 

What if Tonyan is the big time red zone threat he was in 2020 where he had 11 TDs? 

What if Braxton Jones puts in the work and added the strength needed to fix his issues with the bull rush?

What if the back 7 stays healthy and is a top 5 group in the league? 

What is Gipson even just matches the 7 sacks he had 2 years ago? What about Walker matching his 7? 

What if the rookie class proves to be good right outta the gate? 

• Love 1

4 hours ago, scs787 said:

Let's play the what if game....

What if Justin Fields is indeed the guy and he takes that Hurts like step? 

What if Claypool lives up to his potential or even just puts numbers like he did his rookie season? 

What if Mooney is healthy and has a year like he did 2 years ago? 

What if Kmet takes another step and has a huge contract year? 

What if Tonyan is the big time red zone threat he was in 2020 where he had 11 TDs? 

What if Braxton Jones puts in the work and added the strength needed to fix his issues with the bull rush?

What if the back 7 stays healthy and is a top 5 group in the league? 

What is Gipson even just matches the 7 sacks he had 2 years ago? What about Walker matching his 7? 

What if the rookie class proves to be good right outta the gate? 

Unfortunately all the what if games played on this forum lead to the negative in real life.

I pulled this together in a different place, but Dane Brugler has been the prognosticator closest to where bears will value their board of the two Poles drafts. The big exception is Velus.

2022:

Kyler Gordon - 39th player | Bruglers 51

Jaquon Brisker - 48th player | Bruglers 42

Velus Jones - this is probably never going to match up with anyone lol 5th / 6th grade

Braxton Jones - 5-168 | Brugler OT-11 4th round grade

D Robinson - 5-174 | Brugler Edge-13 3rd Round Grade

Z Thomas - 6-186 | Brugler G-19 6th-7th Round Grade

T Ebner - 6-203 | Brugler RB 20 6th-7th Round Grade

D Kramer - 6-207 | Brugler C-11 PFA

Ja'Tyre Carter - 7-226 | OT-18 6th-7th Round Grade

Elijah Hicks -7-254 | Not Ranked

2023:

Darnell Wright - 10th player (OT2) | Brugler OT3 #24 overall (1st/2nd round grade)

Gervon Dexter - 53rd overall (DT6) | Brugler DT 5 #55 overall (2nd round grade)

Tyrique Stevenson - 56th overall (CB9) | Brugler CB11 #69 overall (2nd round grade)

Zacch Pickens - 83rd overall (DT7)| Brugler DT9 #83 overall (3rd round grade)

Roschon Johnson - 4-115 (RB8)| Brugler RB7 #91 overall (3rd round grade)

Tyler Scott - 4-133 (WR17)| Brugler WR7 #48 overall (2nd round grade)

Noah Sewell - 5-148 (LB10)| Brugler LB12 (4th-5th round grade)

Terell Smith - 5-165 (CB23)| Brugler CB18 (4th round grade)

Travis Bell - 7-204 | Brugler DT42 (UDFA)

Kendall Williamson - 7-258 | Brugler S35 (UDFA)

If you had the beast, you weren't that surprised to see Gervon Dexter picked or Pickens. But apparently it was a huge shock outside of that area.

Doesn't mean these will be good drafts, but next year I know I'll be paying a lot more attention to his bands of talent than others.