2023-24 NFL Season Thread

One thing that worries me about Dexter and to some extent pickens, while I totally see why bears drafted him and was someone that followed Brugler so their value seemed normal...

The draft picks that bears fans have hated have all tended to be pretty bad.

They hated Floyd. They hated Trubs. I remember a feeling of hate for our Ashford TE but I don't even remember his name anymore. They hated...not getting george pickens and were probably right and, you know, jury is still out on Gordon.

While draft picks people have loved have a middling success rate (the love was kinda strong for Riley Ridley), it does make me nervous.

But I like that it gives a pretty clear thing to look for. Can Eberflus/coaches actually mold a raw athletic guy like htis? He's less of a project than Dominique Robinson. Can they convert one of these guys to a long-term starter?

22 hours ago, bmags said:

One thing that worries me about Dexter and to some extent pickens, while I totally see why bears drafted him and was someone that followed Brugler so their value seemed normal...

The draft picks that bears fans have hated have all tended to be pretty bad.

They hated Floyd. They hated Trubs. I remember a feeling of hate for our Ashford TE but I don't even remember his name anymore. They hated...not getting george pickens and were probably right and, you know, jury is still out on Gordon.

While draft picks people have loved have a middling success rate (the love was kinda strong for Riley Ridley), it does make me nervous.

But I like that it gives a pretty clear thing to look for. Can Eberflus/coaches actually mold a raw athletic guy like htis? He's less of a project than Dominique Robinson. Can they convert one of these guys to a long-term starter?

Adam Shaheen (baby Gronk as some said). I wanted to see more of Ridley but I also wondered if I wanted that because of what I saw with his brother and how much they lacked talent at wide receiver.

They need to hit on these picks and have some of them become long term starters. One draft won’t fix everything, but it makes subsequent drafts easier if more players pan out.

Edited by The Beast

9 hours ago, The Beast said:

Adam Shaheen (baby Gronk as some said). I wanted to see more of Ridley but I also wondered if I wanted that because of what I saw with his brothers and how much they lacked talent at wide receiver.

They need to hit on these picks and have some of them become long term starters. One draft won’t fix everything, but it makes subsequent drafts easier if more players pan out.

Yeah, need at least 2 of the first four picks to be long-term, and hopefully 2 of their 4th round or later ones. That would be a very good draft. And ideally we find we have some plus starters soon.

• Like 1

While 2 thursdays after sundays is rough, I do feel like having a young team should help, esp because it offers those "mini byes". Bears got a lot out of their post-washington mini-bye last year.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

My hope is this is what the plan was for finding a defensive end.  The waiver wire.

June cuts almost here.  That’s like a whole new wave of free agency sometimes.  

Since then, Shannon Sharpe liked another tweet that contains a frontal assault on Skip Bayless.

Sharpe has clicked the little heart on this tweet from Dan Clark, a baseball writer with more than 50,000 followers: “Shannon Sharpe has outgrown Skip Bayless. He is far superior. He has a wonderfully bright future ahead. Bayless, meanwhile, won’t find another partner. His career will nosedive because he is a piece of s%*#.”

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jenkins had some bumps last training camp before having a great season. Bears clearly used those to set/make a hard line stance with Teven around expectations etc. Those seem to be paying off…maybe this is the same with Claypool. Hopefully a year from now we are talking about him coming off a killer season and a strong offseason of work. 

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

I just do not understand why Barkley caved so easily for a deal that gave him so very little.

They gave him a little bit more than the tag.  it’s very weird, I wonder if the team said take it or leave it, if you leave it then we are gonna end up prorating the tag amount after your holdout 

31 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

They gave him a little bit more than the tag.  it’s very weird, I wonder if the team said take it or leave it, if you leave it then we are gonna end up prorating the tag amount after your holdout 

I can't believe he didn't get a guarantee they wouldn't tag him next year.

On 7/25/2023 at 1:08 PM, CentralChamps21 said:

Zach Martin unhappy in Dallas. Bears have the cap space to pay him and the draft picks to make a trade. Get it done.

Ehhhhh, I'll pass. He's 32 and the Bears, on paper at least,  are good at guard.  

Kmet signed an extension.  3 years 50 million with 34 guaranteed. I like it. 

Kmet last year, on a team that threw it less than any other team in the league finished 13th in yards, 3rd in TDs, and among the top 13 TEs he finished 5th in YPC. 

Arguably a top 10 TE with those numbers last year, I think this year he makes an unquestionable leap into the top 10.