Leury not on OD Roster per DVS

Vote4Pedro

Does this mean only one of the two will make the team in a super utility role?  

Most people seemed to think both Romy and Leury would have a spot along with a 4th OF, most likely one who could play CF (Marisnick, Hamilton). 

Only having one spot for Romy/Leury, would open up a spot for Gavin, Burger, Reyes, or go defense/speed oriented with both Marisnick and Billy. 

If there really is a battle between Romy and Leury, it might come down to what kind of spring these other guys have as well. 

If one of Gavin, Burger, or Reyes earn a spot on the team out of ST, Leury’s ability to play CF will be his ticket. 

I do not see the Sox releasing Leury out of ST either way.  

I think he makes the team over Romy or we see both on the OD roster.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

I mean if he can get him to be pre 22 Leury, he has a use on the roster.  Who knows if that is possible or not, but it is nice to hear he isn't being given the job, even if he probably is.

Hopefully it’s not just lip service now trumped by guaranteed dollars later.  

• Like 1

You get four bench spots. One has to be a catcher (likely Zavala) and one has to be someone who can play CF well (probably Marisnick or Hamilton).

If the Sox see Sheets as a potential everyday player, then he could use a year in AAA where he gets to face left-handed pitching. If they're resigned to him being a platoon bat, then he needs to be on the roster as the DH/1B any time Eloy or Vaughn are not in the lineup.

If you don't keep Sheets that leaves two more spots and you can keep both Leury and Romy. If you keep Sheets that leaves only one spot left and Leury gets it unless the Sox DFA him, which they should do because I think Romy would provide more value in that role.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I mean if he can get him to be pre 22 Leury, he has a use on the roster.  Who knows if that is possible or not, but it is nice to hear he isn't being given the job, even if he probably is.

This. He has actually had decent stretches of good baseball before they placed him a role that he was set up to fail in. Oh why does that sound familiar? Cough Andrew Vaughn. Cough Gavin Sheets. Cough Eloy Jimenez.

while true he's got to compete, there's little chance he's cut out of ST. However if his numbers are poor through Memorial day? I can see the sox biting the bullet. 

Leury outside of last year has more value than Sosa or Romy have in the short-term. But that changes with every at-bat. it's getting closer and closer to one of those guys being a better player. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

You get four bench spots. One has to be a catcher (likely Zavala) and one has to be someone who can play CF well (probably Marisnick or Hamilton).

If the Sox see Sheets as a potential everyday player, then he could use a year in AAA where he gets to face left-handed pitching. If they're resigned to him being a platoon bat, then he needs to be on the roster as the DH/1B any time Eloy or Vaughn are not in the lineup.

If you don't keep Sheets that leaves two more spots and you can keep both Leury and Romy. If you keep Sheets that leaves only one spot left and Leury gets it unless the Sox DFA him, which they should do because I think Romy would provide more value in that role.

I think Sheets place on the roster depends on Colas and health of rest of roster. 

Colas on Opening Day roster and no one is hurt, there is simply no room for Sheets.  Bench of Zavala, Leury, Romy and Marisnick/Hamilton.  

If Colas plays a few weeks in AAA, Sheets is going to get plenty of reps in RF until Colas does arrive.  Call him the RF for this analysis, and bench remains the same as above.   

I suppose this all changes if Sox actually do cut Leury, but I don't see it.  As others have said, he does have a role on this team as the 26th man.  I don't see a better use of that roster spot internally, frankly.  

Edited by ChiSox59

9 minutes ago, zisk said:

To me, the money is already wasted. Don't compound that mistake by keeping players just because of it. Take 

the best players and try to win.

Who is a better use of that roster spot?  Don't say Romy because he's highly likely to on the roster anyway.  

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think Sheets place on the roster depends on Colas and health of rest of roster. 

Colas on Opening Day roster and no one is hurt, there is simply no room for Sheets.  Bench of Zavala, Leury, Romy and Marisnick/Hamilton.  

If Colas plays a few weeks in AAA, Sheets is going to get plenty of reps in RF until Colas does arrive.  Call him the RF for this analysis, and bench remains the same as above.   

I suppose this all changes if Sox actually do cut Leury, but I don't see it.  As others have said, he does not a role on this team as the 26th man.  I don't see a better use of that roster spot internally, frankly.  

In your scenario, who is the DH/1B when Vaughn or Eloy take a day off, or Eloy is in the OF? Particularly against RHP?

I like Sheets on the bench for that role, and for late-game pinch hitting opportunities. So my bench to start the season would be Sheets, Leury, Romy, and Zavala. I don't think it's necessary/worth giving a roster spot to Marisnick/Hamilton/Reyes. I'm fine with Leury in CF once every week or so (Leury is a better CF than RF), and Leury/Romy in RF.

Give Romy a shot to prove all the offseason work we've been hearing about translates to success. If he isn't cutting it over the first month of the season he can be sent down and one of the minor league OFs can be brought up. But if Hamilton or Marisnick are given a roster spot out of Spring Training, even if they're struggling offensively (which is likely) they'll be given a long leash because getting rid of them means they need to be DFA'ed. Romy's spot can be temporary. Leury is going to get a few months on the roster regardless, and I'm pretty confident he can have a bounce-back to being a useful back-up after an injury-plagued season, if he's used sparingly. If not, and other players are showing they're more deserving, he could get cut in July.

Injuries can throw everything into a blender, so it doesn't make any sense to be cutting players now that might be needed later on.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

In your scenario, who is the DH/1B when Vaughn or Eloy take a day off, or Eloy is in the OF? Particularly against RHP?

I like Sheets on the bench for that role, and for late-game pinch hitting opportunities. So my bench to start the season would be Sheets, Leury, Romy, and Zavala. I don't think it's necessary/worth giving a roster spot to Marisnick/Hamilton/Reyes. I'm fine with Leury in CF once every week or so (Leury is a better CF than RF), and Leury/Romy in RF.

Give Romy a shot to prove all the offseason work we've been hearing about translates to success. If he isn't cutting it over the first month of the season he can be sent down and one of the minor league OFs can be brought up. But if Hamilton or Marisnick are given a roster spot out of Spring Training, even if they're struggling offensively (which is likely) they'll be given a long leash because getting rid of them means they need to be DFA'ed. Romy's spot can be temporary. Leury is going to get a few months on the roster regardless, and I'm pretty confident he can have a bounce-back to being a useful back-up after an injury-plagued season, if he's used sparingly. If not, and other players are showing they're more deserving, he could get cut in July.

Injuries can throw everything into a blender, so it doesn't make any sense to be cutting players now that might be needed later on.

Hand Romy or Leury a 1B glove. Colas has experience at 1B. Honestly, backup 1B is pretty low on the list of worries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

I am not advocating for this but to answer your question of who else can be the dh/1b, the semi-obvious answer would be Grandal to keep a left handed bat in the lineup.  I could especially see this early in the year while we learn if his health/bat has returned.  Who knows, he is as likely to require full rest vs playing a less demanding defensive position.

• Like 1

Sheets has one quality that no other bench player is going to give you-mashing right handed pitching.

As I said, unless you are trying to develop him into an every day player by giving him reps vs LHP, there's no reason to have him in AAA. There are going to be a minimum of 150 PA and possibly more for someone to play 1B/DH in place of Eloy/Vaughn and giving them to anybody other than Sheets hurts the team.

1 minute ago, BamaDoc said:

I am not advocating for this but to answer your question of who else can be the dh/1b, the semi-obvious answer would be Grandal to keep a left handed bat in the lineup.  I could especially see this early in the year while we learn if his health/bat has returned.  Who knows, he is as likely to require full rest vs playing a less demanding defensive position.

Grandal is the other option that makes sense, but Grifol did say last week that he hasn't thought about Grandal as a DH. He said he's the catcher. (1B wasn't mentioned.)

Obviously that could change once the season starts, but IMO the best way to keep Grandal healthy and productive is to limit his opportunities, which means that when he's not catching he would be on the bench getting an actual day of rest. Again, that could change if he's hitting like he did in the second half of 2021 when you couldn't take him out of the lineup.

• Vote4Pedro changed the title to Leury not on OD Roster per DVS