Leury not on OD Roster per DVS

Vote4Pedro

29 minutes ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

Grandal is the other option that makes sense, but Grifol did say last week that he hasn't thought about Grandal as a DH. He said he's the catcher. (1B wasn't mentioned.)

Obviously that could change once the season starts, but IMO the best way to keep Grandal healthy and productive is to limit his opportunities, which means that when he's not catching he would be on the bench getting an actual day of rest. Again, that could change if he's hitting like he did in the second half of 2021 when you couldn't take him out of the lineup.

You can use the DH spot to give other guys a half days off when Eloy is out. Then the backups get a day in the field.

1 hour ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

In your scenario, who is the DH/1B when Vaughn or Eloy take a day off, or Eloy is in the OF? Particularly against RHP?

I like Sheets on the bench for that role, and for late-game pinch hitting opportunities. So my bench to start the season would be Sheets, Leury, Romy, and Zavala. I don't think it's necessary/worth giving a roster spot to Marisnick/Hamilton/Reyes. I'm fine with Leury in CF once every week or so (Leury is a better CF than RF), and Leury/Romy in RF.

Give Romy a shot to prove all the offseason work we've been hearing about translates to success. If he isn't cutting it over the first month of the season he can be sent down and one of the minor league OFs can be brought up. But if Hamilton or Marisnick are given a roster spot out of Spring Training, even if they're struggling offensively (which is likely) they'll be given a long leash because getting rid of them means they need to be DFA'ed. Romy's spot can be temporary. Leury is going to get a few months on the roster regardless, and I'm pretty confident he can have a bounce-back to being a useful back-up after an injury-plagued season, if he's used sparingly. If not, and other players are showing they're more deserving, he could get cut in July.

Injuries can throw everything into a blender, so it doesn't make any sense to be cutting players now that might be needed later on.

Grandal can play 1B.  I am sure plenty of other  guys on the roster could play 1B.  Anyone could DH when Eloy sits (which hopefully isn't alot). I am unconcerned about back-up DH/1B.  

Who is Sheets pinch hitting for if the full roster is available?  We're literally talking about him pinch hitting for whoever is playing 2B that day when a RHP is on the mount.  Its just such an outrageously limited role for Sheets if Colas is on the roster, and an awful use of a roster spot since he is terrible anywhere you put him defensively. 

And yes, injuries can throw everything into a blender.  It doesn't take much for Sheets to have a major role on this club.  For the purposes of this Opening Day roster discussion, I am assuming Colas is on the roster and position players remain at full health.  The chances this team is actually fully healthy for an extended stretch is not all that high, so Sheets will get plenty of at bats. Also, no one is promoting "cutting" Sheets.  He has a minor league option.  

Edited by ChiSox59

14 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Grandal can play 1B.  I am sure plenty of other  guys on the roster could play 1B.  Anyone could DH when Eloy sits (which hopefully isn't alot). I am unconcerned about back-up DH/1B.  

Who is Sheets pinch hitting for if the full roster is available?  We're literally talking about him pinch hitting for whoever is playing 2B that day when a RHP is on the mount.  Its just such an outrageously limited role for Sheets if Colas is on the roster, and an awful use of a roster spot since he is terrible anywhere you put him defensively. 

And yes, injuries can throw everything into a blender.  It doesn't take much for Sheets to have a major role on this club.  For the purposes of this Opening Day roster discussion, I am assuming Colas is on the roster and position players remain at full health.  The chances this team is actually fully healthy for an extended stretch is not all that high, so Sheets will get plenty of at bats. Also, no one is promoting "cutting" Sheets.  He has a minor league option.  

Right. And with this team, I would honestly bet on Sheets making the team OD roster (even if Colas makes it OD) out of need due to some sort of minor (hopefully not a major) injury to someone. 

Edited by Bob Sacamano

29 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Who is Sheets pinch hitting for if the full roster is available?  Its just such a limited role if Colas is on the roster,

And yes, injuries can throw everything into a blender.  It doesn't take much for Sheets to have a major role on this club.  For the purposes of this, I am assuming Colas is on the roster and position players remain at full health.  The chances this team is actually fully healthy for an extended stretch is not all that high, so Sheets will get plenty of at bats. 

It's not just about who is "capable" of playing 1B, it's about who can play 1B and make an impact with the bat. Sheets has a career 118 wRC+ against RHP. That is the second-best number for anyone on the team (behind only Eloy's 129). It's better than Vaughn (93), and even better than any of the other LH hitters like Grandal (115), Benintendi (116), and Moncada (112).

Sheets is a guy you should want to be in your lineup against RHP. You really think it's worth not having that bat around, just so Billy Hamilton can swipe a few bases with a .400 OPS?

7 minutes ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

It's not just about who is "capable" of playing 1B, it's about who can play 1B and make an impact with the bat. Sheets has a career 118 wRC+ against RHP. That is the second-best number for anyone on the team (behind only Eloy's 129). It's better than Vaughn (93), and even better than any of the other LH hitters like Grandal (115), Benintendi (116), and Moncada (112).

Sheets is a guy you should want to be in your lineup against RHP. You really think it's worth not having that bat around, just so Billy Hamilton can swipe a few bases with a .400 OPS?

Don't really want Billy Hamilton on the roster, but it seems like Leury and Romy are locks (assuming everyone is healthy which seems unlikely). The 4th bench spot needs to be someone who can play CF.

Plus, I think it's close to 50/50 Sheets makes the roster as the strong-side platoon RF for a few weeks while they gain an extra year of control for Colas. Just hope to have big leads early so you can take him out in like the 5th or 6th. 

Edited by Bob Sacamano

6 minutes ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

Yes. I think a 4th OF is more important than a guy that will get 5 at bats a week if the roster is full strength. Again, pretty much anyone that doesn’t play up the middle gets hurt and Sheets is suddenly an everyday player. I am not suggesting they send him to the moon. 

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Don't really want Billy Hamilton on the roster, but it seems like Leury and Romy are locks (assuming everyone is healthy which seems unlikely). The 4th bench spot needs to be someone who can play CF.

Plus, I think it's close to 50/50 Sheets makes the roster as the strong-side platoon RF for a few weeks while they gain an extra year of control for Colas. Just hope to have big leads early so you can take him out in like the 5th or 6th. 

This/ I also believe Colas will (and should) start in AAA and Sheets will have a big role early. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

And when we say we need a guy who "can play CF" we mean positively. 

Leury has always been a league average CF. His problems have been in RF, which has more difficult reads with balls slicing into the corner.

Everyone is down on Leury, and for good reason after last year. But he's going to be on the roster to start the year, and he's going to get 2 starts per week. One of those starts can be in CF. It's one of his better defensive positions (better than RF or 2B at least).

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yes. I think a 4th OF is more important than a guy that will get 5 at bats a week if the roster is full strength. Again, pretty much anyone that doesn’t play up the middle gets hurt and Sheets is suddenly an everyday player. I am not suggesting they send him to the moon. 

I'd expect Sheets to start 3 games per week at least to start the year. 2 at 1B, 1 at DH. I could easily see it being more if he continues to be one of the best hitters on the team against RHP and Grifol doesn't want him to leave the lineup.

23 minutes ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

Leury has always been a league average CF. His problems have been in RF, which has more difficult reads with balls slicing into the corner.

Everyone is down on Leury, and for good reason after last year. But he's going to be on the roster to start the year, and he's going to get 2 starts per week. One of those starts can be in CF. It's one of his better defensive positions (better than RF or 2B at least).

Woof, Leury beter not be getting 2 starts per week.  

20 minutes ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

I'd expect Sheets to start 3 games per week at least to start the year. 2 at 1B, 1 at DH. I could easily see it being more if he continues to be one of the best hitters on the team against RHP and Grifol doesn't want him to leave the lineup.

So we're making Andrew Vaugh a part-time player to give Gavin Sheets at bats. Woof.  Yes, I realize Sheets has been better again RHP to this point, but their upsides are not even close.  

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Woof, Leury beter not be getting 2 starts per week.  

So we're making Andrew Vaugh a part-time player to give Gavin Sheets at bats. Woof.  Yes, I realize Sheets has been better again RHP to this point, but their upsides are not even close.  

For a guy that has been averaging 5 starts/week over the past 3 full seasons, 2 starts/week is a significant reduction and is about what I'd expect for Leury. In fact the last couple years all I kept hearing was that Leury was over-used, he should be starting twice per week not every day. 2 starts/week really isn't a lot. It seems like you think every one of the 9 starters is going to play every single day, and that's really not how this works, especially when most of the starters have a history of nagging injuries.

And if you call Vaughn a part-time player when he's making 5 of 7 starts per week, then yes I suppose I'm advocating he be a part-time player until he's worthy of getting more work. So far he hasn't.

"I've seen Leury play for a while. Leury's a talented player. I haven't spoken to him yet.

I find this strange. I would think a new manager would have had a conversation, even if it was brief, with every member of the 25 man roster the first few days of camp. Even if it was just a hi, a handshake, and a welcome aboard. Worse case at least a cell call to say hello. 

Just now, SCCWS said:

"I've seen Leury play for a while. Leury's a talented player. I haven't spoken to him yet.

I find this strange. I would think a new manager would have had a conversation, even if it was brief, with every member of the 25 man roster the first few days of camp. Even if it was just a hi, a handshake, and a welcome aboard. Worse case at least a cell call to say hello. 

He's obviously been reaching out to players, so my guess is that the problem isn't with Pedro trying to get a hold of him...

22 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I mean if he can get him to be pre 22 Leury, he has a use on the roster.  Who knows if that is possible or not, but it is nice to hear he isn't being given the job, even if he probably is.

Being pushed a bit by his manager is a good thing for Leury. Might get him motivated 

12 minutes ago, fathom said:

When I saw them say Romy will play all over, it really made me think Leury is gone

I got the same feeling, which would be very interesting. Maybe Colas makes the team, Romy takes over the Leury role, and Sheets gives you a left handed stick off the bench who could also DH or play some 1B. That would still allow you to keep someone like Marisnick as a glove-first outfield reserve. 

I originally didn’t think there was any scenario where Leury wasn’t on the opening day roster, but now I’m not so sure. 

• Vote4Pedro changed the title to Leury not on OD Roster per DVS