Leury not on OD Roster per DVS

Vote4Pedro

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

At this point, the cash is spent regardless of whether you cut him. The only thing that matters is whether they think they can create a better 26 man roster without him. 

Oh I agree.  I would have eaten the contract the minute TLR stepped down.  

33 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I got the same feeling, which would be very interesting. Maybe Colas makes the team, Romy takes over the Leury role, and Sheets gives you a left handed stick off the bench who could also DH or play some 1B. That would still allow you to keep someone like Marisnick as a glove-first outfield reserve. 

I originally didn’t think there was any scenario where Leury wasn’t on the opening day roster, but now I’m not so sure. 

I think they really want Burger to make the team somehow

24 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Leury's place on the team will depend on how much weight they put into him as a LHH and switch hitting.  That was the be all end all for the drunkard. 

That's true - I've never liked Leury as a de facto LHH. But he's probably better hitting RHP than any of the other options for his roster spot (Romy, Marisnick, Hamilton).

Circling back on this, I was thinking about it earlier and sort of changed my opinion here.

Between the middle infield depth we have in the minors (Lenyn and Yolbert starting at AAA, Remillard in a backup role), the non-roster invites (Alberto, Mondou, Gonzalez), and Romy being able to serve the utility role at the MLB level, I feel like Garcia is only here as insurance in case someone gets injured during Spring Training or the WBC. The money is spent, no one is trading for him anyway, and there might be a better use of his spot. I feel like he is someone they can cut if an NRI outplays him or they decide Burger can find at bats against lefties early from the bench. Burger can be optioned eventually if they need to open a spot.

Sorry for the semi-long post.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Circling back on this, I was thinking about it earlier and sort of changed my opinion here.

Between the middle infield depth we have in the minors (Lenyn and Yolbert starting at AAA, Remillard in a backup role), the non-roster invites (Alberto, Mondou, Gonzalez), and Romy being able to serve the utility role at the MLB level, I feel like Garcia is only here as insurance in case someone gets injured during Spring Training or the WBC. The money is spent, no one is trading for him anyway, and there might be a better use of his spot. I feel like he is someone they can cut if an NRI outplays him or they decide Burger can find at bats against lefties early from the bench. Burger can be optioned eventually if they need to open a spot.

Sorry for the semi-long post.

Romy is a career .241/.261/.350 hitter, including an abysmal .196/.221/.261 line against RHP. Leury isn't a great player, but even his awful 2022 is better than that.

Could Romy be better than Leury this year? Absolutely. But are you confident that it will happen? I'm not. What happens if they get rid of Leury, and Romy is still striking out 36% of the time with a miniscule walk rate, and can't hit RHP?

There's really not much downside to keeping Leury around until you're more confident that Romy can adequately replace him. It's a low bar, but it's a bar Romy has yet to reach. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

Romy is a career .241/.261/.350 hitter, including an abysmal .196/.221/.261 line against RHP. Leury isn't a great player, but even his awful 2022 is better than that.

Could Romy be better than Leury this year? Absolutely. But are you confident that it will happen? I'm not. What happens if they get rid of Leury, and Romy is still striking out 36% of the time with a miniscule walk rate, and can't hit RHP?

There's really not much downside to keeping Leury around until you're more confident that Romy can adequately replace him. It's a low bar, but it's a bar Romy has yet to reach. 

If Leury actually hit well from the left side, I would argue more in favor of him. 

2 minutes ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

Definitely agree here.  Leury sucks, but he's useful enough as the 26th man.  I am by no means married to keeping him and would love to improve on him, but there is really no reason to cut Leury until someone proves more worthy of the roster spot, or he falls flat on his face again to start the season. 

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Definitely agree here.  Leury sucks, but he's useful enough as the 26th man.  I am by no means married to keeping him and would love to improve on him, but there is really no reason to cut Leury until someone proves more worthy of the roster spot, or he falls flat on his face again to start the season. 

True, I guess they could pivot to a more useful bench piece when that happens.

10 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

If Leury actually hit well from the left side, I would argue more in favor of him. 

If Leury hit well from the left hand side, this wouldn't even be a discussion. He has a career .633 OPS against RHP, which unfortunately is .150 better than Romy.

If by June Leury is scuffling while Romy looks like he can do better, then by all means make the move.

He's a grinder working to do whatever the team asks if him, sacrificing himself and his reputation in the process and never complaining. He was here before Tony and after Tony. So far every manager has found a lot of at bats for him. 

• Like 1

I just have one thing to say, maybe 2. There is no way the Sox will just Luery loose a seat the rest of the contract. If they can find a trading partner willing to take some or all of his contract, then there’s a possibility of moving him and opening up a spot for someone younger 

13 minutes ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

I just have one thing to say, maybe 2. There is no way the Sox will just Luery loose a seat the rest of the contract. If they can find a trading partner willing to take some or all of his contract, then there’s a possibility of moving him and opening up a spot for someone younger 

There isn't a team in the United States that would take on Leury's contract.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

There isn't a team in the United States that would take on Leury's contract.

He's in his age 31 season now. Coming off the worst year of his career, with a ZIPS expectation of replacement level. Leury is the classic example of a guy whose talent was marginal even in his athletic prime at 25-29 and while a useful player then thanks to his ability to cover 7 positions -- is now replacement level.

True talent level changes. The Sox never seem to get those changes correct, even with hindsight! Like it's one thing to miss on a guy like Pollock, but a guy like Leury you've scouted his entire career, you know him. To not just move on from him after that horrible 2022 is ridiculous. But Chicago probably thinks he's a good clubhouse guy and will just bounce back with his usual 1 WAR season.

Time goes on. Players age, get worse. Move on.

14 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He's in his age 31 season now. Coming off the worst year of his career, with a ZIPS expectation of replacement level. Leury is the classic example of a guy whose talent was marginal even in his athletic prime at 25-29 and while a useful player then thanks to his ability to cover 7 positions -- is now replacement level.

True talent level changes. The Sox never seem to get those changes correct, even with hindsight! Like it's one thing to miss on a guy like Pollock, but a guy like Leury you've scouted his entire career, you know him. To not just move on from him after that horrible 2022 is ridiculous. But Chicago probably thinks he's a good clubhouse guy and will just bounce back with his usual 1 WAR season.

Time goes on. Players age, get worse. Move on.

Leury may be replacement-level, but I'm not convinced the Sox have anyone in the organization who can replace him right now. Romy is the obvious candidate, but what happens if he comes out and puts up a .508 OPS against RHP, like he did just last year? If Romy can't cut it, then you can try to replicate Leury-level production with a combination of like Alberto and Marisnick, but then you're using two players to try to replace what one guy should be able to do.

There's just no point in getting rid of Leury until (a) you know he can be replaced, or (b) he's so bad that he's unplayable. I don't think we're at (b) yet.

• Like 1

• Vote4Pedro changed the title to Leury not on OD Roster per DVS