Leury not on OD Roster per DVS

Vote4Pedro

On 3/17/2023 at 9:57 AM, ChiSoxTrojan said:

Maybe Marisnick or Hamilton replaces Alberto, but I don't think so. For one thing, Alberto has almost doubled the batting lines of either of them this Spring. But for another, if you consider that the team seems intent on playing Eloy in the OF, they're actually in more need of infield depth than OF depth. They're at least 3-deep with guys at every OF spot even without one of Hamilton/Marisnick:

• LF: Benintendi, Eloy, Leury
  • CF: Robert, Leury, Colas (in a pinch)
  • RF: Colas, Eloy, Leury, Sheets (in a pinch)

At 2B/3B/SS, it's just the starters and Leury. Admittedly CF is a bit thin, but having one position that is thin is better than having 3.

The lack of depth shown here is staggering, this team is fuckkkkkked when the injuries start cropping up, and they will 

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

The Braves just chose Arcia to be starting SS over grissom. If Grissom isn't a starting SS with the lack of shift, i'd def want sox to see if they could acquire him to be a 2b.

What do you trade for him though? Maybe Braves use that bullet for a big piece in the summer.

21 hours ago, flavum said:

No Leury in the starting lineup again today. Is he hurt? On the way out? 

Alberto seems like a lock for a bench spot, as of now.  Maybe they are just giving other guys a look the last week+?  I’d love for him to be on the way out but I will doubt it until it happens. 

2 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Alberto seems like a lock for a bench spot, as of now.  Maybe they are just giving other guys a look the last week+?  I’d love for him to be on the way out but I will doubt it until it happens. 

The Garfien/McGuffey podcast today swayed me fully into thinking Leury is done. Alberto, Sheets, and Zavala are locks. The only question is backup OF- Hamilton/Haseley/Marisnick, and the edge is Billy to start the season. The podcast didn’t even mention Marisnick.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, flavum said:

The Garfien/McGuffey podcast today swayed me fully into thinking Leury is done. Alberto, Sheets, and Zavala are locks. The only question is backup OF- Hamilton/Haseley/Marisnick, and the edge is Billy to start the season. The podcast didn’t even mention Marisnick.

Interesting.  I’ll have to give it a listen.  
Seby is a given and Alberto looks to be as well.  Sheets as a bench power bat has merit.  That really does only leave the 4th OF spot, and I do hope they are leaning towards a real OF.  If they go with Sheets and a 4th OF, Leury has no spot.  It’s certainly plausible that he’s a goner. 

50 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Interesting.  I’ll have to give it a listen.  
Seby is a given and Alberto looks to be as well.  Sheets as a bench power bat has merit.  That really does only leave the 4th OF spot, and I do hope they are leaning towards a real OF.  If they go with Sheets and a 4th OF, Leury has no spot.  It’s certainly plausible that he’s a goner. 

I want a real OF but man, I do not want Marisnick or Billy for the role. I almost feel like Leury is the favorite for 4th OF role since he's already being paid and on the roster, unless they pick up someone else.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

With Alberto performing so well in spring training, you'd have to think he makes the team.  And if that's the case, the Sox don't need Leury.  At this point, the money owed to him doesn't matter.  It's a sunk cost anyway.  I'd love to see the Sox be ballsy and DFA him.  Maybe he can be traded away with the Sox eating a big chuck of his salary.

Seby is a certainty.  For a fourth OF, I would think Hamilton might have the edge because of his defense and speed.  I suppose Sheets might have the last spot, but it will be interesting to see what happens with Burger.

11 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

With Alberto performing so well in spring training, you'd have to think he makes the team.  And if that's the case, the Sox don't need Leury.  At this point, the money owed to him doesn't matter.  It's a sunk cost anyway.  I'd love to see the Sox be ballsy and DFA him.  Maybe he can be traded away with the Sox eating a big chuck of his salary.

Seby is a certainty.  For a fourth OF, I would think Hamilton might have the edge because of his defense and speed.  I suppose Sheets might have the last spot, but it will be interesting to see what happens with Burger.

They could lose Alberto if they send him down.

31 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I want a real OF but man, do I not want Marisnick or Billy for the role. I almost feel like Leury is the favorite for 4th OF role since he's already being paid and on the roster, unless they pick up someone else.

I agree. Or rather, I think they're thinking of Eloy as the first guy who would back up the OF corners, and Leury would be the backup CF. Leury's defense in CF is perfectly adequate, it's the corners (specifically RF) where he has had some trouble.

Without Leury, there are only 3 guys on the roster who have the ability to play 2B or SS. That's the bare minimum, and they could get by with it, but having Leury around gives them more coverage in case someone has to rest for a few days with nagging "soreness" or whatever.

17 minutes ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

I agree. Or rather, I think they're thinking of Eloy as the first guy who would back up the OF corners, and Leury would be the backup CF. Leury's defense in CF is perfectly adequate, it's the corners (specifically RF) where he has had some trouble.

Leury was a butcher in CF, remember how shallow he would play and could never get back to a ball hit towards the warning track. He definitely wasn’t good in RF either. 

16 minutes ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

Is this confirmed? I know people have guessed that this is the case but I haven't heard of any confirmation. What about Marisnick/Hamilton/Reyes, is it known whether they have any opt-outs?

Rumor has it they can opt out of their minor league deals or at least Billy can and sign with another team if he doesn’t make the roster. Unsure of Marisnick or Hanser. Reyes was already sent down from camp.

56 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I want a real OF but man, I do not want Marisnick or Billy for the role. I almost feel like Leury is the favorite for 4th OF role since he's already being paid and on the roster, unless they pick up someone else.

Yeah, it's hard to tell which way they go.  Neither Marisnick or Billy have really shown much in camp and Leury's money owed would seem like the trump card.  Its anyone's guess at this point.

18 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Yeah, it's hard to tell which way they go.  Neither Marisnick or Billy have really shown much in camp and Leury's money owed would seem like the trump card.  Its anyone's guess at this point.

I take spring training stats with a grain of salt. 99.9% chance these guys are what they have always been. I expect Leury to make the team, as not one of these guys is significantly better.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

Leury was a butcher in CF, remember how shallow he would play and could never get back to a ball hit towards the warning track. He definitely wasn’t good in RF either. 

He wasn't a "butcher", he was fine. Around average or slightly below. Definitely someone you can live with in a backup role to fill in once every couple weeks.

Now if Robert were to get hurt then they would need to bring in reinforcements, but I'm not feeling very confident in Marisnick/Hamilton as long-term fill-ins either.

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I take spring training stats with a grain of salt. 99.9% chance these guys are what they have always been. I expect Leury to make the team, as not one of these guys is significantly better.

I would think Leury makes it too, but there does seem to be enough smoke to suggest that he might not.

23 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

Rumor has it they can opt out of their minor league deals or at least Billy can and sign with another team if he doesn’t make the roster. Unsure of Marisnick or Hanser. Reyes was already sent down from camp.

Hamilton seems the least likely of the three to be in a position to demand that kind of clause in his contract. He was in the minors most of last year and still couldn't get his OPS above .500 against AAA pitching.

10 minutes ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

Hamilton seems the least likely of the three to be in a position to demand that kind of clause in his contract. He was in the minors most of last year and still couldn't get his OPS above .500 against AAA pitching.

If the Sox lose any of them, oh well. There's a reason no team would give them a major league contract.

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If the Sox lose any of them, oh well. There's a reason no team would give them a major league contract.

I wouldn't be all broken up by it, but it would be nice to have them around in case of an injury to one of the starters. Who's the next man up besides them in the OF, Haseley?

• Vote4Pedro changed the title to Leury not on OD Roster per DVS