Barstool Baseball Presents: A Conversation With Chicago White Sox Shortstop Tim Anderson.

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

21 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Tim wouldn't be saying it if the last two years weren't a complete disaster.  Take what we went though as fans and imagine it as a player. 

This whole thing to me comes down to what you're trying to get out of Fanhood.

I'm a pessimist during the off season and an optimist during the season.

Online and in media, hysteria sells. I get it. At the same time, I don't like the overly negative attitudes and agree with Tim. Harder on them than anyone. No point in beating a dead horse. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This whole thing to me comes down to what you're trying to get out of Fanhood.

I'm a pessimist during the off season and an optimist during the season.

Online and in media, hysteria sells. I get it. At the same time, I don't like the overly negative attitudes and agree with Tim. Harder on them than anyone. No point in beating a dead horse. 

I understand what you are saying and there is some truth to it that when a team is going south it is difficult on the players however most players get millions and millions of reasons to deal with it. Fans don't have that luxury.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2023 at 7:56 PM, GREEDY said:

Him being stupid enough to threaten Chuck with access to the team if he didn't stop being critical... on a podcast is meaningful.  It demonstrates what a moron Tim is.  

I watched it. I disagree he 'threatened' Chuck's access. I like Tim's demeanor. I LOVE his hitting. I feel like his defense is good not great. Good in that he makes some amazing plays. Not great cause he boots some easy ones, at least the games I watch. And he gets hurt too much. I mean not his fault but it sucks when he's out.

I got nothing against TA speaking his mind. As far as this season ... I feel we all should let it play out. Let TA be TA and let's root for him as fans to hit .330 with a lotta BBs and make the routine play. Keep his concentration in the field and help us be a surprise team of baseball. We got a new manager and hopefully his enthusiasm will spark the club. Much different than an elderly Tony. PLAY BALL, cmon TA we got your back (unless u stink this year and cause problems).

• Like 2

25, 24, 22, 20, 18, 16, 12 = $127mm over 7 years. That's what I'd offer Timmy.  The numbers at the outset are what I'd pay for each of his years starting with the first. I would also wait until at least mid-May to see how he's playing this year before offering that. If he doesn't take it, then start floating his name out there depending on how Colson and Sox are playing. 

If you don't get an offer that blows you away, go back to the drawing board for negotiations & try again in the off-season. If that doesnt work? Trade him. 

For Giolito I'd be willing to pay:

$21mm per year for 5 years and a 6th year mutual for $25mm, so all-in 6yr/130mm

Or

$23mm per year for 4 years and a 5th year mutual for $25mm 5yr/117mm

I'd offer that in ST before the season starts and continue to negotiate into Memorial Day/June and then attempt to trade him

It's funny that Jose Berrios and Gio have been lumped in together comparatively and statistically (at least standard numbers the past 2-3? seasons and similar team control, resulting in a trade with Buxton extended) and those numbers were among the worst in the AL for both.

Except they're not going to get a $100 million, 7 year deal out of Anderson if he sees himself at $175-225 million range, sort of like a Trevor Story and not a Benintendi.

Edited by caulfield12

I get the sense that Anderson thinks hes owed something for taking a team friendly deal. That said, it could've just as well been a Moncada type deal too. That's the risk/reward for the parties involved. 

Anderson should be in the ballpark of Willy Adames and Javier Baez. Between those two levels in my opinion. Javy got a bag and think was overpaid. I even think my 7/127 was kind & would be my top. 

35, 36, & 37 year old Timmy is going to be barely worth $10mm annually. His speed, legs, range, etc. will all be in decline.

1 hour ago, he gone. said:

I'd offer that in ST before the season starts and continue to negotiate into Memorial Day/June and then attempt to trade him

Gio is setup for a similar couple years to Rodon.  Reasonable improvement sets him up for a QO which I think he rejects regardless if it is the correct decision. That comp attached will severely impact his value and he will get a short term deal with an opt-out.  

I think it is unlikely that there is a scenario where Lucas is pitching well enough to have significant value above a QO comp at the deadline AND the Sox are so far out of it that they are looking to sell.  

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Between last year and the renewed focus on eliminating the sticky stuff, there’s no way in hell I’m extending Giolito right now.

People keep calling out Gio but if you put his numbers against the MLB's inexplicable changes in enforcement and non-enforcement, he actually looks like a guy who isn't affected by this.

That's not to say he isn't/wasn't using before the first wave of enforcement in 2021 because he clearly was both visually and through data with his spin rates dropping after umps started checking. That said, in 2021, he started slow and dominated down the stretch in the post-substance part of 2021. 

Then 2022, enforcement timing is unclear but his season was worst in years. We also know the MLB was far more relaxed. Just not sure the narrative on Gio is accurate despite him definitely getting help. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Gio is setup for a similar couple years to Rodon.  Reasonable improvement sets him up for a QO which I think he rejects regardless if it is the correct decision. That comp attached will severely impact his value and he will get a short term deal with an opt-out.  

I think it is unlikely that there is a scenario where Lucas is pitching well enough to have significant value above a QO comp at the deadline AND the Sox are so far out of it that they are looking to sell.  

I'd agree with your opinion as well. It'll be the value of a QO pick v. return on trade market  v. selling on a team that should be in contention through the entire year, even if we're as bad as last year. Even a .500 team should be within striking distance in July. There are no right or wrong moves, however whichever move they choose will be considered the wrong move by Sox fans. 

Sign him and fans will complain overpaid him

keep him and fans will complain they didn't trade him for young talent

trade him and fans will complain the return wasn't enough to justify punting midseason and QO value. 

It's a lose/lose/lose end of the day. 

7 hours ago, fathom said:

Between last year and the renewed focus on eliminating the sticky stuff, there’s no way in hell I’m extending Giolito right now.

Yep, his drop in his velocity over the last couple of years is alarming…too many red flags for what he’s going to ask for in extension talks.

9 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Good article, but I enter 2023 not feeling negative toward TA. He didn't say anything offensive IMO. He's a very good player. He needs to stay healthy, take more than a few walks and get that BA up to around .330 so he can be a perennial all-star. ... Also try to cut down the errors on simple plays. He makes spectacular plays often.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Timmy U said:

Personally, I think Gio refuses to use it as an excuse, but he just wasn’t the same after he got COVID. If he’s fully healthy, I’m expecting a good year.

I am sure the extra weight wasn’t helping him recover from Covid any faster. I’ve never seen someone sweat that much during some of his starts.

16 hours ago, greg775 said:

Good article, but I enter 2023 not feeling negative toward TA. He didn't say anything offensive IMO. He's a very good player. He needs to stay healthy, take more than a few walks and get that BA up to around .330 so he can be a perennial all-star. ... Also try to cut down the errors on simple plays. He makes spectacular plays often.

Great article. Just want to share, I had a couple comments directly to Rick Morrissey, and he got right back to me! Thrilled.