Long live the pitch clock

bmags

It feels a little rushed to me, but it’s definitely an improvement. I wouldn’t be surprised if they agree to add a little more time. 

I’m also not crazy about a player getting an automatic strike if he takes a little while to collect himself in the 9th inning of a big game. We’ll see how that plays out.

Overall - big improvement. Stone and Benetti are going to have to squeeze the Nationwide jingle in at 45RPM.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Middle Buffalo said:

It feels a little rushed to me, but it’s definitely an improvement. I wouldn’t be surprised if they agree to add a little more time. 

I’m also not crazy about a player getting an automatic strike if he takes a little while to collect himself in the 9th inning of a big game. We’ll see how that plays out.

Overall - big improvement. Stone and Benetti are going to have to squeeze the Nationwide jingle in at 45RPM.

I think it will seem less rushed once the players get the hang of it. JJ cooper said by July you barely thought about it in AAA.

45 minutes ago, ptatc said:

A great improvement. Let's see if there are any unintentional consequences with injuries. Hopefully it leads to better pitching and less continual max effort throwing. 

I feel like it will improve injuries personally. 

3 hours ago, ptatc said:

Let's hope. If the pitchers continue with max effort throwing with decreased recovery between pitchers it could make them worse. 

It just feels more likely they were throwing max effort more often because they had enough time to recover/wait until perfectly settled. I think some pitcher soft skills of keeping hitters off balance by changing cadence is likely to come back.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

It just feels more likely they were throwing max effort more often because they had enough time to recover/wait until perfectly settled. I think some pitcher soft skills of keeping hitters off balance by changing cadence is likely to come back.

They throw max effort because it's the easiest way to strike people out. The recovery between pitches aided that. We'll see if they do become pitchers instead of throwers and maybe go deeper into games even. 

7 hours ago, bmags said:

Some how Red Sox games will be 4 hours long still.

Cant tell you how happy I’ll be during a week night game in attendance when I’ll look up in the fourth inning and it says 8:15 not 9:30

This was so amazing. This and no shift are great. Truly great. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

This was so amazing. This and no shift are great. Truly great. 

I couldn't agree with you more, Chi.

Pitch clock and no shift are both so incredibly groovy.

Kill the ghost runner. Stake through its heart. Burn it. Drop the ashes at 30K ft.

It's like Meatloaf, Manfred.

2 outta 3 ain't bad.

Big improvement in game time so far.  I like that it also holds the batter accountable.  Too many times you see guys taking practice swings, adjusting their gloves, grabbing their crotch for 30 seconds or more.  I'm sure the players will get used to it.  Machado bragged that he'll have a lot of 0-1 counts before even stepping foot in the box, but the team will probably correct that attitude rather quickly.

1 hour ago, Sleepy Harold said:

I'd be curious to see if there was any change YoY in the minors when it was implemented. 

From what I read, the velo stayed about the same. Of course most of the guys throwing around 100 aren't in AAA, unless they are very young, which you think would mean less recovery time needed. I think the veteran max effort guys are the guys to watch for injury and/or velo drop. 

3 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

I'd be curious to see if there was any change YoY in the minors when it was implemented. 

As Dick said there were no statistical significant changes in the minors last year. Those are the younger ones. We need to monitor the older more susceptible pitchers. 

If yr like me, always in a time crunch, I DVR the game and fast forward all the stoppages, commercials,  etc, I usually do this for football as those 30 second fast forward frames usually coincide with the ending of a play and start of another 90% of the time, I see no reason to think that it wouldnt work for baseball. I know Im missing part of the commentary and so on but the time it saves makes it advantageous at least for me

But agreed, anything to speed up the game is welcome. If only all pitchers were named Mark Buehrle.....
  • Like 2