Long live the pitch clock

bmags

25 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah it kinda seems that way. Maybe they will end up adding a couple seconds eventually.

Maybe it just needs some getting used to.  I probably won't mind so much once the regular season starts and I have multiple games to consume at any time.

• Like 1

My only complaint would be the instances where a ball/strike is enforced when it's clear the batter or pitcher isn't trying to circumvent the rules. If a batter/pitcher is ~.0.5 seconds late declaring themselves ready or throwing a pitch I personally don't want to see a violation called during games that matter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ewokpelts said:

i like the idea, but mlb seems to want only 2-3 games like this a season. 

true. nhl killed those outdoor games. the london games for NFL seem overdone. it's a fine line. My angle is not so much the "spectacle" of it like the Iowa game, more so, expanding your fan base out locally and building a bigger brand. sometimes MLB and other franchises feel more like "this is the product and you'll like it" more than the old school days when they were always trying new things. you think about the days when like babe ruth would take the train to small towns to play exhibition games w the yankees. we need more of that. those were spring training games which still work in my book, just expand. 

Maybe even switch a roo series. Have the Knights play at Comiskey for a series (and/or Barons) and send the Sox down to those places. Comiskey turns into a minor league park with minor league pricing for a few games and those other cities host the Sox. builds a connection to the pipeline of players. end of the day the sox are selling fan experience and connection to the players. Mlb does a real poor job the latter. 

hell you don't even have to send the sox to charlotte, maybe just bring the knights up to chicago for a series a year when the sox are on the road. 

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The NFL plays games on Sunday, Monday, Thursday and Saturday (in December). One of the best things about baseball is there is no time limit, unlike the other sports. There is no zero on the clock. 

Your "argument" is all over the board. 

But if you are a fan of a specific team, you watch them 17 times during a season, and hopefully a few playoff games if you're lucky. Baseball has a season that is more than 9x(!!!) longer than an NFL season. 

Plus, I know I'm not alone in that the "game" itself of the NFL isn't just what people are watching for. Sports Betting and Fantasy make a huge difference, as does the creation of the Red Zone which has been one of the best developments in sports over the last decade. I love NFL Red Zone on Sunday. I usually watch that over the Bears, because I still am able to see the key plays from the Bears games on Red Zone. 

But going back to your original point....if the Bears played a 162 game schedule, the complaints about length of the game would be brought up. Having regular 4 hour games in 162 game schedule is a problem, and we both know MLB is taking away 40/50 games from the schedule anytime soon. 

3 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I always find it interesting that some folks are upset over how long a baseball game goes but when NFL games regularly go 3:20, 3:30 or longer no one says a word about it. 

162 games a year vs. 17 games a year (regular season).  If NBA games went 3:20 to 3:30 on a regular basis I'd have an issue with that too.  

1 hour ago, he gone. said:

true. nhl killed those outdoor games. the london games for NFL seem overdone. it's a fine line. My angle is not so much the "spectacle" of it like the Iowa game, more so, expanding your fan base out locally and building a bigger brand. sometimes MLB and other franchises feel more like "this is the product and you'll like it" more than the old school days when they were always trying new things. you think about the days when like babe ruth would take the train to small towns to play exhibition games w the yankees. we need more of that. those were spring training games which still work in my book, just expand. 

Maybe even switch a roo series. Have the Knights play at Comiskey for a series (and/or Barons) and send the Sox down to those places. Comiskey turns into a minor league park with minor league pricing for a few games and those other cities host the Sox. builds a connection to the pipeline of players. end of the day the sox are selling fan experience and connection to the players. Mlb does a real poor job the latter. 

hell you don't even have to send the sox to charlotte, maybe just bring the knights up to chicago for a series a year when the sox are on the road. 

NHL Outdoor games have not been killed. They just played the Stadium series at NC State and the Winter Classic Bos/Pitt around New Years. I believe the Heritage classic is also still played.

I think this going to result in shorter outings for starters as they will get worn out faster. The more quickly a person repeats a repetitive action, the more quickly soreness and fatigue set in. Some pitchers who already work quickly won’t be effected much, but there is a reason the guys who don’t are taking their time

7 minutes ago, MEANS said:

NHL Outdoor games have not been killed. They just played the Stadium series at NC State and the Winter Classic Bos/Pitt around New Years. I believe the Heritage classic is also still played.

i didn't mean it in the literal sense. I mean it in the sense that it's a nothingburger now. 

• TLR 1

I have a question whether the quick pitch rules results in less analysis of each pitch. Does this change pitch selection when the coaches are in hurry-up mode. That part could help the hitter. Pitchers say it stops batters from putzing around at the plate.  

1 hour ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

I think this going to result in shorter outings for starters as they will get worn out faster. The more quickly a person repeats a repetitive action, the more quickly soreness and fatigue set in. Some pitchers who already work quickly won’t be effected much, but there is a reason the guys who don’t are taking their time

Guys who often pitch with sore arms would be affected. Guys who pitch two days in a row will be affected. Liam I think will be affected. 

We will see if pitcher arm injuries increase or decrease with this rule n place. As fan of baseball primarily, I enjoy the strategy that goes on between pitcher and hitter from pitch to pitch and between coaches, especially with base runners aboard. 

Speaking only for myself, i find it enjoyable to sit back, strap it down and relax to watch baseball rather than hockey and basketball. Those sports interest me as much as ping-pong any more.

• Like 1

Do people really think an extra 10-15 seconds between pitches is really saving arm injuries? To me that’s a lot more of a mental thing for a pitcher taking his time than a guy resting his arm. If your arm is tired/sore from throwing a baseball the difference between 12 secs and 30 secs for the next pitch isn’t helping anything 

• Like 1