3/2/2023 3/1 Sox vs Colorado, 2:10PM CT, no tv

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I've soured on Vaughn. Don’t think he can hit RHP. 

Terrible against RH sliders

You mean you don't like un-athletic 1B with "meh" power and no real stand out tools?

• Like 1
  • TLR 1

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

Give him a year at his main position full-time.

Of course, we will see what happens when the security blanket of playing out of position is no longer there.

30 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Call me crazy but a Sheets/Burger 1B platoon>Vaughn imo. 

I'd agree with you if you said Burger should get at bats at third against lefties, especially if Moncada doesn't bounce back even a little on offense. The glove is nice but if he hits like last year, it's just not worth it to play him there full time.

Just now, Tnetennba said:

It wouldn't be spring training without outlandish absurd desperate hot takes.  Mid season form already.  Bravo.

It would never happen but I don't think a Burger/Sheets 1B platoon out producing Vaughn is really that outlandish, absurd, or desperate to be honest with you.

One of these is Vaughn last year, the other is Sheets/Burger

510 ABs - 28 2B - 17 HR - 76 RBI

545 ABs - 28 2B - 23 HR - 79 RBI

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I'd agree with you if you said Burger should get at bats at third against lefties, especially if Moncada doesn't bounce back even a little on offense. The glove is nice but if he hits like last year, it's just not worth it to play him there full time.

They have three 1B and Burger is not really an MLB 3B except on a losing team. 🤔 

32 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I almost never agree with you... but, I do here :). Take that with a grain of salt, though - I also said Abreu was below average... 

1 hour ago, T R U said:

It would never happen but I don't think a Burger/Sheets 1B platoon out producing Vaughn is really that outlandish, absurd, or desperate to be honest with you.

One of these is Vaughn last year, the other is Sheets/Burger

510 ABs - 28 2B - 17 HR - 76 RBI

545 ABs - 28 2B - 23 HR - 79 RBI

Knowing that the top line is Vaughn, all you've shown me is that one guy playing out of position almost out produced two guys who were getting more favorable matchups.

So you can spend one roster spot on Vaughn playing his actual position, or two on Sheets / Burger.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, T R U said:

You mean you don't like un-athletic 1B with "meh" power and no real stand out tools?

I was listening to the Sox Machine podcast and Vaughn is not an MLB hitter against right handed sliders. 

He was something like 3rd from last against sliders from RHP in all of baseball in 2022. 

I don't remember which metric they used, I tried to look it up and couldn't find it. 

26 minutes ago, Quin said:

Knowing that the top line is Vaughn, all you've shown me is that one guy playing out of position almost out produced two guys who were getting more favorable matchups.

So you can spend one roster spot on Vaughn playing his actual position, or two on Sheets / Burger.

Like I said, it wouldn’t happen and if the Sox chose to do that I would be upset about it. However. Sheets was playing out of position too so you can’t use that excuse there AND the point was that platoon would be similar or better than Vaughn not what’s best for roster construction. 

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Every good hitter has a learning curve. He'll get better against sliders but its not like he sucked as a hitter. Still hit .270 111 OPS+ and a very nice jump vs his 2021. Most young RHH have to get better against sliders.

All he has to do is keep progressing. 3rd year in the league is a great time to take it to another level. Up the power, up the OBP, up the OPS+ .

He's where he belongs now. The stick is arriving. If you want the Sox at their best guys like him have to get better and the other guys with talent have to stay on the field. Your bench can't carry 2 guys who are basically 1st baseman. Sheets might make the team backing him up or he may not. It's great to have power on the bench but you lose a lot of speed and defensive ability when you do that.

23 minutes ago, T R U said:

Like I said, it wouldn’t happen and if the Sox chose to do that I would be upset about it. However. Sheets was playing out of position too so you can’t use that excuse there AND the point was that platoon would be similar or better than Vaughn not what’s best for roster construction. 

It wouldn't be unlike Marcus Semien if the White Sox for whatever reason gave up on Vaughn early (partly due to Semien never finding a true defensive "home" and partly due to the lack of exceptional infield instructors)...

The White Sox inevitably learn that short-term thinking (the potentially marginal improvement in 2023 performance, at best) leading to Sheets/Burger instead as a platoon combo doesn't override having the youngest player who doesn't have to be platooned.

You simply don't platoon Top 5 draft picks when they haven't even had an opportunity to play their natural position for one full season, and missed so much developmental time due to Covid as well.

• Like 1

It’s time to ride or die with the core guys, Vaughn included. Let’s at least find out how good these guys are by them staying on the field. If they fail, at least we found out by seeing them play. Vaughn, Moncada, Anderson, Robert, Eloy, Benintendi…they all play 150+ if they’re on the active roster. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1