Jose Abreu Article Sun Times

palehose1

Interesting article. Jose being diplomatic but confirms what we all know about 2022 Sox Clubhouse

"The communication thing is a live-wire subject because the 2022 Sox were deficient enough in that department — not just from the front office or manager Tony La Russa on down, but also between the players in the clubhouse — that more than one player has whispered about it since. Abreu, who had as much credibility as anyone on that team, now is one of them.

“I think sometimes talking about the past can bring a lot of animosity,” he said, “but I think the best way I can put it is just that we weren’t a real family. And I’m hoping maybe [the Sox] can get to a situation where a lot of the guys there that do deserve to be in a good situation, they can have it there and be able to win. But I don’t really have too much more to say about that.”

And how are things on the Astros’ side in this regard?

“These guys here, they’re a real family,” he said. “Obviously, I can see why the Astros organization has had as much success as they’ve had the last couple of years.”"

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports-saturday/2023/3/3/23622977/jose-abreu-astros-white-sox-mlb-2023?utm_campaign=slgreenberg&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

5 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

"Sometimes", Abreu said,"when you're at a place where maybe you're not being respected to the point where you think you should be, you just have to go somewhere else."

Hahn's bullshit lowball offer to one of the franchise's best players didn't sit well.  Shocking

Abreu had no fit on this roster.  bye

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, palehose1 said:

Interesting article. Jose being diplomatic but confirms what we all know about 2022 Sox Clubhouse

"The communication thing is a live-wire subject because the 2022 Sox were deficient enough in that department — not just from the front office or manager Tony La Russa on down, but also between the players in the clubhouse — that more than one player has whispered about it since. Abreu, who had as much credibility as anyone on that team, now is one of them.

“I think sometimes talking about the past can bring a lot of animosity,” he said, “but I think the best way I can put it is just that we weren’t a real family. And I’m hoping maybe [the Sox] can get to a situation where a lot of the guys there that do deserve to be in a good situation, they can have it there and be able to win. But I don’t really have too much more to say about that.”

And how are things on the Astros’ side in this regard?

“These guys here, they’re a real family,” he said. “Obviously, I can see why the Astros organization has had as much success as they’ve had the last couple of years.”"

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports-saturday/2023/3/3/23622977/jose-abreu-astros-white-sox-mlb-2023?utm_campaign=slgreenberg&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Shouldn't Abreu as one of the "leaders" (as many of you call him), take responsibility for the animosity and "weren't a family" in the clubhouse?  Isn't that kind of the "leaders" job?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I recall hearing about a d

On 1/24/2023 at 2:48 PM, Bob Sacamano said:

ivided locker room after last season.  There was a reference to the Cuban Corner.  If that's all true, then JA not one to throw stones.  Also the locker room is mostly on the leaders and can't be fully blamed on the manager 

39 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Abreu had no fit on this roster.  bye

While true, fucking up the roster construction so bad that it was the case is another feather in Hahn’s cap.  Same with the insulting offer.  Creating such an atmosphere that sent a franchise cornerstone running for the hills though is unforgivable. 

18 minutes ago, gogosox1959 said:

I recall hearing about a d

ivided locker room after last season.  There was a reference to the Cuban Corner.  If that's all true, then JA not one to throw stones.  Also the locker room is mostly on the leaders and can't be fully blamed on the manager 

As we all know, all workplaces are united every single day.

Of course people form cliques, it's how human nature works. They were probably here when Ricky was here, but he somehow managed it.

While it does sound like sour grapes and I does make me think being a “leader” on the team… what was his part in the divide in the locker room or lack there of actual “leading”. BUT this just highlights yet again how dysfunctional this organization is and every day I grow to dislike baseball and this franchise even more. 

I think a player can only do so much as a leader and Jose appeared to me to handle the role well. Jose was an exemplary player to me - a great teammate like a Baines or Buehrle was. Not always very vocal but respected and followed. But he's not the manager and could only do so much..........

When I watched the Last Comiskey video about the 1990 team it was so impressive about how these players on the 1990 White Sox praised Toborg and how he led a team that was picked to finish last to win 94 games - he got the most out of that roster. I'm hoping Pedro has some of that magic in him...it's an intangible that's hard to measure as opposed to game decisions etc.

• Like 1

Just now, T R U said:

Eesh.. I like it better when bullshit like this happens to other peoples favorite teams

Here's the thing.

Winning cures a lot of clubhouse and chemistry issues.

Machado and Tatis were at each others' throats quite publicly two years ago when their season was imploding.

It happens in every clubhouse where a massive preseason playoff favorite disappoints...players tend to turn on each other.  

Then the fact that he was pushed out the door pretty unceremoniously must have hurt after almost a full decade with the team.

Fans understand the logic behind cutting him loose...a lot more than we disagreed about no QO for Carlos Rodon.

No TLR or hitting coach excuses this year. It's on the players to perform.  Unfortunately, they've already taken a bit of a gut punch losing Hendriks.

• Thanks 2

We knew there just had to be internal problems with the Sox getting blown out in so many games and playing so poorly against teams they should want to own in the pathetic division they are in. They didn't compete much. Glad Jose got out. I know if the Sox don't fix this, many fans will ultimately bail as well. First time in a long time the Sox don't have a player I consider one of my 'favorites.'

New manager is gonna have to make some of these guys care more. Sox need to get off to a good start and then keep winning series after that. But an 11-5 start is necessary with this bunch.

3 minutes ago, greg775 said:

We knew there just had to be internal problems with the Sox getting blown out in so many games and playing so poorly against teams they should want to own in the pathetic division they are in. They didn't compete much. Glad Jose got out. I know if the Sox don't fix this, many fans will ultimately bail as well. First time in a long time the Sox don't have a player I consider one of my 'favorites.'

New manager is gonna have to make some of these guys care more. Sox need to get off to a good start and then keep winning series after that. But an 11-5 start is necessary with this bunch.

Lucky for you, the April schedule is very tough

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Sox fans tend to turn even more skeptical in seasons when they start April and May mired in mediocrity.

They would really need to be at least 10-12 games over .500 at the 54 game mark to start being most back into the fold.

Not to mention jacking up ticket prices and parking coming off one of the most disappointing seasons in team history.

I would give fans a free GA ticket for every game they turned up to and the Sox lost by more than five runs.

I feel like there needs to be some self reflection there by Jose. Wasn’t he supposed to be the clubhouse leader that combats these kinds of problems? 
Don’t get me wrong, I put a lot of blame on TLR and his staff, but the players should also be able to self police themselves to have a functional clubhouse.

1 minute ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I feel like there needs to be some self reflection there by Jose. Wasn’t he supposed to be the clubhouse leader that combats these kinds of problems? 
Don’t get me wrong, I put a lot of blame on TLR and his staff, but the players should also be able to self police themselves to have a functional clubhouse.

He let Grandal and Moncada lead the Cuban Corner off a cliff.

Hopefully they get their acts together with both their careers on the line this coming season.

Renteria allowed the players to have fun together.  They totally lost that with TLR being the laughing stock of MLB the last couple of seasons...despite the team trying to present as much evidence to the contrary that Tiny could be cool hip modern as a manager and make the necessary adjustments to the modern players.