Jose Abreu Article Sun Times

palehose1

17 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I feel like there needs to be some self reflection there by Jose. Wasn’t he supposed to be the clubhouse leader that combats these kinds of problems? 
Don’t get me wrong, I put a lot of blame on TLR and his staff, but the players should also be able to self police themselves to have a functional clubhouse.

It wasn't his job, though. Any time a player provides leadership, it should be considered a bonus rather than something they are supposed to do.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MikeKreevich said:

I can't read the article, (who pays for that s%*# paper), so it is hard to comment on Jose's comments.  I would hope he would not have negative comments about his former team, even if there were negatives.

I was going to say, we all know the clubhouse was negative last couple of years. Enjoy your new contract with a perennial World Series contender.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

No comment is an acceptable answer, Jose.  Just saying.  I am sure it is nice to be an Astros fan and player but they are a scumbag organization imo.  I choose to remember how Jose was in the community here with his Abreu's Amigos but as he is part of the Astros I really cannot root for him any longer. 

• Love 1

I'm one of the biggest Jose supporters ever, but dude, that was your locker room.   Shut the f*** up. 

It wasn't Tony's locker room, it wasn't TA's or Liam's.  It was Jose Abreu, everyone tied the Latin pipeline of talent to him and him taking them to the next level. Unfortunately Jose wasn't the leader we thought he was. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • TLR 1

I know the kneejerk reaction will be to interpret this as Abreu being in the right and TLR/other players in the wrong, but... hasn't Abreu always publicly had TLR's back?

I can see the sort of "just put your head down and play the game the right way" sentiment being shared by both of them...and maybe not resonating with everyone else once the raw talent wasn't enough to carry them through adversity last season.

The fact that people fondly remember Cueto demanding some "fire" seems like an acknowledgement that's what this team needed. Same thing with Elvis trying to up the energy. TLR, of course, was a wet blanket...but Abreu also doesn't seem quite the firestarter type.

Which is fine. He got a bag to go play for a team where he doesn't have to be that. And maybe his absence leaves space for a more vocal, "fiery" style of leadership that's better suited to this squad 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I'm one of the biggest Jose supporters ever, but dude, that was your locker room.   Shut the f*** up. 

It wasn't Tony's locker room, it wasn't TA's or Liam's.  It was Jose Abreu, everyone tied the Latin pipeline of talent to him and him taking them to the next level. Unfortunately Jose wasn't the leader we thought he was. 

Then why the f*** was Tony hired? To sleep?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

I know the kneejerk reaction will be to interpret this as Abreu being in the right and TLR/other players in the wrong, but... hasn't Abreu always publicly had TLR's back?

I can see the sort of "just put your head down and play the game the right way" sentiment being shared by both of them...and maybe not resonating with everyone else once the raw talent wasn't enough to carry them through adversity last season.

The fact that people fondly remember Cueto demanding some "fire" seems like an acknowledgement that's what this team needed. Same thing with Elvis trying to up the energy. TLR, of course, was a wet blanket...but Abreu also doesn't seem quite the firestarter type.

Which is fine. He got a bag to go play for a team where he doesn't have to be that. And maybe his absence leaves space for a more vocal, "fiery" style of leadership that's better suited to this squad 🤷‍♀️

So you think the guy who practiced sliding in the dugout for no other apparent purpose other than amusing his teammates was a just keep your head down and play guy now?

Edited by FourEyesShottenhoffer

24 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I don't understand this take at all. It wasn't in his contract to overcome any amount of dysfunction that arose. Having unrealistic expectations about what Abreu was capable of as a leader is nobody's fault but those creating those expectations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

So you think the guy who practiced sliding in the dugout for no other apparent purpose other than amusing his teammates was a just keep your head down and play guy now?

Nah, I'm not saying he was a buzzkill or anything. I loved that moment from him, along with him racing guys back to the dugout and such. He's great at stoking a fire that's already ablaze (and thus a great fit for the blazing hot Astros).

But specifically when the team was in a funk, he seemed to have more of a "buckle down harder" reaction if that makes sense? It's not a knock on him or anything, just a difference of approach.

• Hawk 1

2 hours ago, Timmy U said:

I wonder, based on Abreu’s comments last Spring, if he knew he was out the door all of last year and that he’s hurt feelings permeated the entire clubhouse. A leader’s feelings can be contagious be they positive or negative.

Ha too deep for me. Everybody do what you're paid to do and live up to your potential. Players can't be soft and worry about feelings. Your enemy is your opponent not your team mate. Go to war, become a band of brothers with destroying the opposition  mind set.

The fans are not your enemy nor are broadcasters. Do not pay attention to anything but your opponent. Social media is your enemy. You play hard and win and everyone will love you.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

"Sometimes", Abreu said,"when you're at a place where maybe you're not being respected to the point where you think you should be, you just have to go somewhere else."

Hahn's bullshit lowball offer to one of the franchise's best players didn't sit well.  Shocking

He was lowballed because he ran his course on this roster. Having Jose would have been great, but it was no longer realistic based on the roster construction. The FO is to blame for that, but letting the much older and declining player leave was the right call. 

The Sox beating the Astros offer would have been an atrocious use of resources. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

He was lowballed because he ran his course on this roster. Having Jose would have been great, but it was no longer realistic based on the roster construction. The FO is to blame for that, but letting the much older and declining player leave was the right call. 

The Sox beating the Astros offer would have been an atrocious use of resources. 

Well...other than Greg775, haven't seen anyone advocating giving him that contract for his full decline years.

Astros had a similar situation with Gurriel and seem to be repeating it...hoping for one or one and one-half solid seasons left in that bat.

This is actually good news to me - because at least we have a new sheriff in town in terms of managing the clubhouse.  So if it really was as bad as some of us imagined - that means the benefits of potential upside with change are that much better :)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, joejoesox said:

and SO many people here defended it as if they were dying on that hill, which was so damn weird

At first, I liked the Tony hire.

Until I didn't.

I am a fan, but he should have stayed retired.

And Jerry should have let him.

They must have been thinking great movie instead of great baseball team.

I don't care how rich Jerry is. He's still a putz.

• Thanks 2

I don’t mind Jose being critical here at all. He didn’t need to say the Astros were some sort of family, impossible to know that three weeks in, and that seems like shade for sake of shade. I would be pissed too if I gave everything I had for 10 years and had a dysfunctional last year in a dysfunctional organization to show for it. Based on all he did for the White Sox, I will give him a pass. 

It is interesting to see that Ron’s 5 year plan of poisoning of the board’s perception of Jose Abreu has finally bore fruit with other posters. 

Imagine thinking Jose Abreu, man who outplayed his 3 year contract by leaps and bounds, was somehow also responsible for TA’s distractions, Robert’s mystery injuries, Eloy not being able to stay in the lineup, Moncada’s apparent lack of interest, AJ Pollock being bad, Vaughn and Sheets sucking out of position, Leury being overused. 

The goalposts are unbelievable for this guy. 

• Like 4
  • Hawk 2

12 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Well...other than Greg775, haven't seen anyone advocating giving him that contract for his full decline years.

Astros had a similar situation with Gurriel and seem to be repeating it...hoping for one or one and one-half solid seasons left in that bat.

Ole Harry seems to indicate he would

19 hours ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

The players don't know what is good for them. Tony is the devil, and he is responsible for everything wrong with last year's team and the teams going forward. I'm not sure how long it will take to shed the TLR stink.