Who are the 4 bench players for the Sox?

VAfan

10 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Hanser is a lock I think.

I think he’s in as well.  But there is an argument that the one thing he does well (hit LHP) isn’t all that useful to the team because the guys he’s replacing in the lineup (TA, Andrus) also do it well. So even if you’re platooning Alberto to maximize his value, it’ll drag the numbers down for the starters by making them take all their most difficult assignments. 
The Sox really needed to get a LH option at 2B, but they didn’t get it so they’re left with a bunch of imperfect options.

Northbrook Bob seems to be suggesting Burger will make the team.  If so, then I can’t see Alberto making the roster.  Sheets is a 100% lock and there is zero chance they go with him, Jake, & Hanser as their three man bench.  If they go with Burger & Sheets (which seems crazy to me), then I think Romy or Leury is all but guaranteed a spot.  If they go with Alberto, then it potentially opens up a spot for Billy or Haseley.

I still think we end up with Sheets, Alberto, & Romy as the bench with Leury being DFAed to free up a 40 man roster spot, but Burger really remains the wild card in all of this.

37 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Northbrook Bob seems to be suggesting Burger will make the team.  If so, then I can’t see Alberto making the roster.  Sheets is a 100% lock and there is zero chance they go with him, Jake, & Hanser as their three man bench.  If they go with Burger & Sheets (which seems crazy to me), then I think Romy or Leury is all but guaranteed a spot.  If they go with Alberto, then it potentially opens up a spot for Billy or Haseley.

I still think we end up with Sheets, Alberto, & Romy as the bench with Leury being DFAed to free up a 40 man roster spot, but Burger really remains the wild card in all of this.

Sounds like the same thing Fathom has been hearing regarding Burger. 

35 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Does anyone really think Alberto, if he has an out in his minor league deal, is really going to be coveted by teams based on spring training  stats? He’s going to the minors most likely anyways.

34 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Burger over Sheets would be curious.  Both Burger and Sheets seems nutso and would be a misuse of limited bench spots IMO.  Alberto feels like a lock to me, Sheets as well.  Romy or Leury vs a real 4th OF is anyone’s guess right now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Does anyone really think Alberto, if he has an out in his minor league deal, is really going to be coveted by teams based on spring training  stats? He’s going to the minors most likely anyways.

I mean, he did spend half a season rostered by LAD last year. I think he has a measurably better chance to end up on a big league roster immediately than Billy. 

2 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Unless they both love riding the pine, I don’t like the implications elsewhere. 

Sheets and Burger both on this roster make absolutely zero sense if Colas is on it. I’ll believe that when I see it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean, he did spend half a season rostered by LAD last year. I think he has a measurably better chance to end up on a big league roster immediately than Billy. 

Probably, but at this point every team is figuring out their final spot or 2, and it seems doubtful to me if the Sox told Alberto he wasn’t making the team and he had an out, that a team would find a spot for him on their opening day roster. He’s over 30. Look at his numbers. The fact is no team thought he was worthy of a major league contract.

Edited by Dick Allen

9 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Sounds like the same thing Fathom has been hearing regarding Burger. 

And I’m not 100% against it, but you really can’t have him and Sheets as 2/3 of your bench.  And personally, I think Sheets is the more valuable bench piece at this time given our weakness against tough RHP.  Also, Alberto and hopefully Romy can hit LHP while providing some defensive versatility.  Obviously they won’t hit lefties as well as Jake, but that’s a sacrifice worth making IMO.

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Sheets and Burger both on this roster make absolutely zero sense if Colas is on it. I’ll believe that when I see it. 

I don’t wanna believe it either.  I loathe the idea of Sheets or Eloy in RF regularly.  Or Colas sitting so Sheets or Burger can be jammed into the lineup. Or what it means for the positional flexibility on the bench, or lack thereof. 

16 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I’m not a huge Alberto guy, but I do think he’d go elsewhere, whether it’s a  major league or minor league opportunity.

Garfiens podcast with Hahn that was released recently (today?) specifically touches on Billy and the bench. Talks about how Billy is valuable but that you’d also like to have a guy who can take 4 ABs a couple times a week (insinuating he can’t basically). Also touched on opt outs and keeping guys you may otherwise lose (Alberto). And that they’re going to have hard convos with guys that should be big leaguers (Burger and Sheets). And that contract status will not impact decisions (Leury). He didn’t exactly close the door on anything but I felt Seby, Sheets and Alberto are locks after listening and that last spot down to the field of Billy, Leury, Burger and Romy. Haseley was never mentioned.  

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1