Who are the 4 bench players for the Sox?

VAfan

12 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

I agree with the majority here: I think keeping Sheets is a total no-brainer. Not only does he has a good bat against RHP, he seems to have, far and away, one of the most consistent bats on the roster. 

That last part is a pretty big stretch. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

I agree with the majority here: I think keeping Sheets is a total no-brainer. Not only does he has a good bat against RHP, he seems to have, far and away, one of the most consistent bats on the roster. 

Sheets had a .736 OPS against RHP's last year. Maybe he bounces back, maybe the league has him figured out.

.464 against LHP's. That's Billy Hamilton territory. Really bad outfielder. His only success in the majors was

in his first 50 At Bats. He's been lousy ever since.

Edited by zisk
add

18 minutes ago, zisk said:

Not for  1B,RF and DH. Those are run producer positions.

Yeah but you’re talking about a bench player. The question is how he would produce versus other options the Sox have for the bench. It’s a pretty safe bet there is no other option that can provide similar production against *RHP* available among the utility player candidates.

*edit

Edited by FourEyesShottenhoffer

6 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

This would result in Eloy playing way more OF than I’d like because the only utility Burger has in this scenario is DHing against LHP and Colas (or Beni) on the bench. 

Could James be wrong on 2 of the 4 guys? I'm guessing he'll be wrong on 1 of the 4  certainly. Hamilton ? Really ?

Makes me feel bad for guys who had good springs like Haseley and Erick Gonzalez.

If it is that 4 for the opening series I'll start calling James the Fantastic Mr. Fox.

On 3/22/2023 at 4:48 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

So the more I think about this, the more I expect the Sox to go with a bench of Sheets, Alberto, & Romy.  

The Sox need a left-handed bat somewhere on the bench and that role pretty much goes to Gavin by default.  He can fill in at 1B/DH against tough righties when Vaughn/Eloy need a day off and can technically play a bad corner OF in a pinch (the Sox will use him much more then I would out there though).

As for Alberto, I’m not quite sure I get the admiration around here, but it seems like all but a certainty that Grifol will place him on the OD roster.  Personally, I think spring training stats are meaningless, so a nice camp doesn’t change the fact that he has been legit bad against RHP in his career.  That being said, he does hit lefties fairly well and can play throughout the infield.  As much as I’d love Burger’s bat on the bench, Alberto fills a similar need offensively with far more defensive versatility.

As for the final spot, this could obviously go a lot of different ways and Leury in theory should be the favorite.  However, it does seem like Hahn / Grifol may be ready to move on from Leury.  If so, I think you’re looking at one of the pure OFs or a true utility guy like Romy.  IMO, I think the Sox would prefer the latter and don’t think they will overreact to a strong camp and go with someone like Haseley.  Yes, Romy has had a rough spring, but the defensive versatility is a huge plus and I think he will at least hit LHP well next year.  And the latter is a big plus when you have two LH corner OFs who will need time off like everyone else.

Looks like this will end up being on the money.  And honestly, I’m much happier with this bench arrangement than a lot of different outcomes.  Burger playing 3B everyday in Charlotte makes all the sense in the world.  He will be needed at some point this year.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Romy is their back up outfielder.

You can still argue that everything Hanser can do, Romy can do better.

But with Leury gone, they couldn’t also let Hanser walk because that gets rid of too much of the middle infield depth in the organization. One injury and you’re left with a choice between a couple young-for-their-level prospects who probably aren’t ready yet.

• Like 1