Who are the 4 bench players for the Sox?

VAfan

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

Hoping Grifol's love of Alberto doesn't haunt them in the 4th OF department.  Not that the options Hahn brought in were great, but dear lord are they one injury away from starting guys out of position or a massive black hole in the lineup.

I'd rather stick Alberto or Sheets in the OF than Eloy, honestly.  Not because I think they'll be better defensively (Eloy is easily the best OF of the trio), but because Eloy does no one any good if he's hurt and eliminating the chances of him getting hurt playing the OF would go a long way towards him play 130+ games.  Yes, Eloy is just as likely get hurt running the bases as he is in the OF, but you're eliminating like 80% of those chances by making him the full-time DH.  The math is simple, IMO.  Add to the fact that even though Eloy is a better OF than Sheets/Alberto, he is not a good one at all.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I'd rather stick Alberto or Sheets in the OF than Eloy, honestly.  Not because I think they'll be better defensively (Eloy is easily the best OF of the trio), but because Eloy does no one any good if he's hurt and eliminating the chances of him getting hurt playing the OF would go a long way towards him play 130+ games.  Yes, Eloy is just as likely get hurt running the bases as he is in the OF, but you're eliminating like 80% of those chances by making him the full-time DH.  The math is simple, IMO.  Add to the fact that even though Eloy is a better OF than Sheets/Alberto, he is not a good one at all.  

If those are my only options, I totally agree.  I don't want Eloy anywhere near the OF.  Not that I want the other two out there either, but I fear dumb injury far less with them.

23 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

If those are my only options, I totally agree.  I don't want Eloy anywhere near the OF.  Not that I want the other two out there either, but I fear dumb injury far less with them.

I place the over/under on the number of Andrew Vaughn starts in RF at 5.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Right but Eloy is the one blocking his ABs. Unless you want to relegate Vaughn to a weak-side platoon, Sheets has to play over actual OF Colas (also a lefty) or pinch hit to get playing time, and I just think he should never be on the outfield grass. I’m excited about him as an injury fill-in at 1B/DH, but until that need arises, why not put him in Charlotte, you know?

It's really 4 guys (Eloy, Vaughn, Colas, Sheets) for 3 spots (1B/RF/DH) the way I see it. Since I think all 3 of Eloy, Vaughn, and Colas should get plenty of off days over the course of the season, I don't consider that to be a problem. Yes, I know this goes counter to the idea that Grifol will play his starters whenever they're healthy, but both Eloy and Vaughn have histories of nagging injuries and Colas is a rookie.

Also the bench right now consists of 3 guys that are much better against LHP than RHP. There needs to be someone in there that can start against RHP without creating a black hole in the lineup.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

Well then I think you are going to both be disappointed. Eloy is going to play 40-50 games in the OF, easily, and maybe more if there are injuries to Beni or Colas.

4 minutes ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

Well then I think you are going to both be disappointed. Eloy is going to play 40-50 games in the OF, easily, and maybe more if there are injuries to Beni or Colas.

There is no way Eloy plays 40-50 games in the OF if Benintendi, Robert and Colas remain mostly healthy.  If one of those guys go down for a long period of time, all bets are off as they're not exactly loaded with OFs. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

Why would they be trotting them out every day? Robert would be playing most days. If Robert is out, then call up Haseley

Haseley at least has SOME albeit limited upside at this point.

Marisnick and Hamilton, not so much.

Fwiw, Engel probably won't make the OD roster for another team not to be named.  Hoping and praying they don't bring him back.

Edit: of course he's already hurt, this time a hamstring

Edited by caulfield12

17 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

Why would they be trotting them out every day? Robert would be playing most days. If Robert is out, then call up Haseley

My point was if Robert is out for an extended period of time, you either play Colas in CF with Eloy or Sheets in RF or you have to call up a AAAA CF type from Charlotte.  Not sure why Haseley is that much more appealing than playing Eloy or Gavin out of the position.  Both scenarios would be really bad for us IMO.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

My point was if Robert is out for an extended period of time, you either play Colas in CF with Eloy or Sheets in RF or you have to call up a AAAA CF type from Charlotte.  Not sure why Haseley is that much more appealing than playing Eloy or Gavin out of the position.  But scenarios would be really bad for us IMO.

My point is that they wouldn’t. Haseley, Hamilton or Reyes followed by Cespedes and Mieses over the next year or so would be options that would be called up in event of injury to an OFer. 

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Haseley at least has SOME albeit limited upside at this point.

Marisnick and Hamilton, not so much.

Fwiw, Engel probably won't make the OD roster for another team not to be named.  Hoping and praying they don't bring him back.

Engel looks like he might start the season on the IL with (stop me if you've heard this one before) a hamstring injury.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/03/padres-injury-notes-engel-soto-nola-bogaerts-musgrove.html

2 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

My point is that they wouldn’t. Haseley, Hamilton or Reyes followed by Cespedes and Mieses over the next year or so would be options that would be called up in event of injury to an OFer. 

Those guys are all bad, not major league ready, and/or potentially not even in the organization.  I’d probably rather go with Eloy & Sheets than any of that group on a regular basis.  That’s the point and probably Grifol would do.  There is a reason they keep playing Eloy in the OF, he is likely part of a contingency plan for better or worse.

1 minute ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

It depends who gets hurt. If it's Robert, I imagine you'd see Haseley up and getting the bulk of the playing time in CF. But if it's Benintendi or Colas that goes down, Eloy would likely replace him in the OF nearly every day, with Haseley as the 4th OF.

Part of the value of having Robert covering so much ground in CF is that it lowers the burden on the corner OFs.

35 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

Speaking of Cespedes, I was scrolling through spring training stats the other day and he had appeared in one single game this spring.  Is he hurt?  I know he hasn't exactly developed as hoped, but I figured he'd at least be in line for a potential debut later this season or 2024 as a 4th OF type.  Not exactly a great sign that he didn't get really any looks at all with the big league club in ST, or even split squad games.  Just struck me as weird. .  

Edited by ChiSox59

36 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Speaking of Cespedes, I was scrolling through spring training stats the other day and he had appeared in one single game this spring.  Is he hurt?  I know he hasn't exactly developed as hoped, but I figured he'd at least be in line for a potential debut later this season or 2024 as a 4th OF type.  Not exactly a great sign that he didn't get really any looks at all with the big league club in ST, or even split squad games.  Just struck me as weird. .  

I thought he had an injury early on.

1 hour ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

Engel looks like he might start the season on the IL with (stop me if you've heard this one before) a hamstring injury.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/03/padres-injury-notes-engel-soto-nola-bogaerts-musgrove.html

It's actually his second spring injury. He's only had six at-bats all spring.