Roster Cuts Thread

flavum

15 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I'd be a little surprised to see Billy leave.  He likes it here, and should see a clearer path the big leagues with the Sox than just about any other contender around.  

I think Alberto would opt out for sure, tho. 

Right. Billy would be opting out for a minor league deal anyway. Might as well stay. Alberto probably gets added to the 40-man or he waits until the next date (unless it’s farther than I expected).

Edit: unless there is different wording in his contract, the next opt out date would be May 1.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

39 minutes ago, gogosox1959 said:

Decision day for Billy and Alberto is tomorrow.  per The Athletic, "under the new collective bargaining agreement, type XX(B) free agents who signed minor-league deals are allowed to opt out of their contracts on March 25 if their team does not plan on having them on the Opening Day roster"

https://theathletic.com/4341208/2023/03/24/white-sox-full-roster/

"March 25 if their team does not plan on having them on the Opening Day roster"

If the club hasn't made that decision, I'm not sure why that's an important designation

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

It sure does seem like he is pushing to cut ties with Leury behind the scenes.  

I am no Leury fan and will be perfectly fine if they cut him, but it just feels unnecessary right now. If he sucks for the first month, sure, send him packing. But sending Romy to AAA for everyday at bats until he gets into a groove or Leury again proves he shouldn’t be in the big leagues, so be it.  It’s not like Romy is going anywhere. 

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I am no Leury fan and will be perfectly fine if they cut him, but it just feels unnecessary right now. If he sucks for the first month, sure, send him packing. But sending Romy to AAA for everyday at bats until he gets into a groove or Leury again proves he shouldn’t be in the big leagues, so be it.  It’s not like Romy is going anywhere. 

I don't disagree, just reading the tea leaves.  Grifol sure hasn't sung Leury's praises this spring, but I could be reading too much into it.  We shall see.  I'll be surprised if they actually do cut him.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

They will never cut Leury until at least July and most likely next season.

Leury takes the back up outfield spot over Hamilton Marisnick and Haseley.

Nah I think he's gone. Sheets will be on the roster. They can get out of a game with Sheets or Eloy in the outfield and make a different move later. I think they're keeping Sheets and Alberto. Will they keep Burger, Romy or Hamilton over Leury? It seems more likely than ever. 

4 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Nah I think he's gone. Sheets will be on the roster. They can get out of a game with Sheets or Eloy in the outfield and make a different move later. I think they're keeping Sheets and Alberto. Will they keep Burger, Romy or Hamilton over Leury? It seems more likely than ever. 

Let Vaughn play everyday.  Burger has slightly less value if he has to go through waivers because he's really not a 3B.

If Vaughn's not 100% then you can see Sheets...but still prefer him playing everyday because he's such an inconsistent hitter when not receiving regular playing time.  He's really streaky even compared to the average MLB hitter.

Edited by caulfield12

16 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I don't disagree, just reading the tea leaves.  Grifol sure hasn't sung Leury's praises this spring, but I could be reading too much into it.  We shall see.  I'll be surprised if they actually do cut him.

For sure. It feels more likely than ever he’s wearing a different uni this season. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Let Vaughn play everyday.  Burger has slightly less value if he has to go through waivers because he's really not a 3B.

If Vaughn's not 100% then you can see Sheets...but still prefer him playing everyday because he's such an inconsistent hitter when not receiving regular playing time.  He's really streaky even compared to the average MLB hitter.

Nobody should be worried about Sheets or Burger playing every day. That ship has sailed. Vaugh will be ready. Played in minors game yesterday 

Sure, a different uniform and the Sox eating over $10 million?

Unfortunately they can't try to trade him unless they give him extensive playing time.

Except too much Leury is bad news for the team's record usually.

Does maximizing his trade value to recoup $3-4 million come in front of winning?

Just now, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Nobody should be worried about Sheets or Burger playing every day. That ship has sailed. Vaugh will be ready. Played in minors game yesterday 

As long as the regulars hit for power and not like 2022...and not expecting a repeat from Andrus, those players would both be luxuries to carry on the roster for bench power.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Unfortunately they can't try to trade him unless they give him extensive playing time.

Does maximizing his trade value to recoup $3-4 million come in front of winning?

The White Sox DFA'd Keuchel last year when he was an expensive batting practice pitcher, DFA'd Danks when he was clearly an expensive sunk cost, and sent Keppinger packing with multiple years left. Let's at least acknowledge that the Sox are moderately competent (at times) to know when it's time to move on, regardless of how much money is owed. A Leury DFA wouldn't be uncharted waters that they've never swam in before, which is an entirely separate and sad rabbit hole to go down. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

The White Sox DFA'd Keuchel last year when he was an expensive batting practice pitcher, DFA'd Danks when he was clearly an expensive sunk cost, and sent Keppinger packing with multiple years left. Let's at least acknowledge that the Sox are moderately competent (at times) to know when it's time to move on, regardless of how much money is owed. A Leury DFA wouldn't be uncharted waters that they've never swam in before, which is an entirely separate and sad rabbit hole to go down. 

Before last year, Leury at least earned his way contract-wise.

I really think he gets more rope because none of the outfield candidates earned their way.

Keuchel was clearly toast.  Same with Keppinger and Ranks after the injuries.

You can't make the same argument that a Romy Gonzalez will light the world on fire in his stead.

Leury on average has actually out produced Moncada cumulatively in 2017 18 20 and 22 and can play everywhere.  And he's going to pick up a lot of steals, which will suddenly be at a premium again.

Alberto will do the same thing on the infield.

Edited by caulfield12

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Nobody wants Leury. The Sox were fools.