Roster Cuts Thread

flavum

6 minutes ago, WilliamTell said:

Luery is eventually going to get signed by Minnesota or Cleveland, right????? 

Feel like that's the usual outcome to most of these moves by the Sox but he's so bad I can't help but think he ends up in Miami on a minor league deal

9 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

Those crazy sons of bitches really did it, which makes signing him to that contract before last year, even more boggling.

I guarantee you the Sox would owe Leury Garcia $11 million less today than they do if Tony LaRussa was never hired.  His return screwed this team up in so many ways. One of the worst hires of all time IMO.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 2

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I guarantee you the Sox would owe Leury Garcia $11 million less today than they do if Tony LaRussa was never hired.  His return screwed this team up in so many ways. One of the worst hires of all time IMO.

Yeah they really did punt 2 years of the window by hiring him.

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Worse move: 

Original firing of La Russa or second hiring of La Russa?

Just now, Quin said:

Worse move: 

Original firing of La Russa or second hiring of La Russa?

Second hiring easy . When they fired LaRussa, they were about to go into a rebuild and he would have been canned eventually anyway.  After he got fired in 1986, the team played better for Fregosi. 

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Second hiring easy . When they fired LaRussa, they were about to go into a rebuild and he would have been canned eventually anyway.  After he got fired in 1986, the team played better for Fregosi. 

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

The return.  Easy.

But it becomes a fun thing where the original firing caused the return.

Just now, Quin said:

I didn't experience the original, so I only have the return to go on.  How many fateful events in the mid 80s still have lasting repercussions for this org?

6 minutes ago, Quin said:

That is true. If Hawk didn't fire Tony, he doesnt get the A's job, which means he doesn't get the Cardinals job, and doesn't ever get to say he is a HOF baseball person, brother. He's just another Ricky Renteria or Tom Trebblehorn. 

If you think about it, Tony owes a hell of a lot to Hawk for firing him.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I didn't experience the original, so I only have the return to go on.  How many fateful events in the mid 80s still have lasting repercussions for this org?

Personal but if Ozzie doesn't win ROY then my brother probably has a different childhood idol and isn't such an asshole.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

That is true. If Hawk didn't fire Tony, he doesnt get the A's job, which means he doesn't get the Cardinals job, and doesn't ever get to say he is a HOF baseball person, brother. He's just another Ricky Renteria or Tom Trebblehorn. 

If you think about it, Tony owes a hell of a lot to Hawk for firing him.

From my interview with TLR:

ML: You’ll go into the Hall of Fame this August as one of the all-time winningest managers.

Have you ever wondered what may have happened if you stayed with the Sox? I know Sox fans wonder how many championships you might have won had you stayed for 20 years or so.

TLR: “Yes, I do, but more for entertainment, I don’t take a lot of time to look back in a serious manner. I just think you have to move on from the past, learn from it and go forward. I will occasionally tease Jerry (Reinsdorf) about it, though. I honestly think had I stayed with the White Sox for 30 years that the team would have won multiple world championships. I think that because we were so united. Everyone from the owners to the front office to the coaching staff was on the same page. Our minor league system was developing and we had good people in all areas.”

8 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

From my interview with TLR:

ML: You’ll go into the Hall of Fame this August as one of the all-time winningest managers.

Have you ever wondered what may have happened if you stayed with the Sox? I know Sox fans wonder how many championships you might have won had you stayed for 20 years or so.

TLR: “Yes, I do, but more for entertainment, I don’t take a lot of time to look back in a serious manner. I just think you have to move on from the past, learn from it and go forward. I will occasionally tease Jerry (Reinsdorf) about it, though. I honestly think had I stayed with the White Sox for 30 years that the team would have won multiple world championships. I think that because we were so united. Everyone from the owners to the front office to the coaching staff was on the same page. Our minor league system was developing and we had good people in all areas.”

Tony wasn't accurate with the minor leagues. The reason Hawk got the GM job was the crap they had to call up from the minor leagues when someone got hurt. Himes fixed that, but there is no way he would have stuck with LaRussa.

9 hours ago, flavum said:

Baseball teams sure took their sweet ass time posting their transactions for opening day rosters, I have been trying to figure out where some minor leaguers were assigned, who some final roster cuts were and what happened to Garcia for several days.

Edited by The Beast