2023 AL Central Predictions

Dan Pasqua

1 hour ago, Snopek said:

But by that logic, it's the same for the Twins. Correa and Buxton. Maybe Polanco if he stays healthy. Gallo had 19, so if we get the same baseball as last year, not him.

Byron Buxton, the guy that’s played more than 92 games 1 time in 8 seasons. I bet Parkman has him penciled in for 162 tho. 

• Haha 1

Guardians

Sox

Twins

Tigers

Royals

If you show me the rosters on paper, it's the White Sox coasting to a division win. If you show me what this team has showed me over the last few years, I have no faith that they can stay healthy or "hungry". 

I'm expecting a slow start against the Astros and Giants, with a couple series wins over the first 2 months, then a bunch of .500 ball the rest of the year. Hope I'm wrong :) 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dohnut said:

Guardians

Sox

Twins

Tigers

Royals

If you show me the rosters on paper, it's the White Sox coasting to a division win. If you show me what this team has showed me over the last few years, I have no faith that they can stay healthy or "hungry". 

I'm expecting a slow start against the Astros and Giants, with a couple series wins over the first 2 months, then a bunch of .500 ball the rest of the year. Hope I'm wrong :) 

If what you say comes to pass then the Sox need to be sellers at the deadline.

18 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

If what you say comes to pass then the Sox need to be sellers at the deadline.

Yep… and I can’t do another rebuild. 

Honestly, as weird as it sounds, I think we need the spark of Elvis and Billy to even have a chance.

6 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I have him on ignore but can’t help myself sometimes. Had him ignored on WSI back in the day too. I see him pop up on Twitter all the time. Always the same BS. Quite a way to go about fandom…all those years. Mercy! 

I’ve seen his act on Twitter too. I don’t get what the point of this is for him. Surprised he hasn’t had an ulcer by now.

4 minutes ago, MEANS said:

I think he's talking about in a season.

No s%*#.  Buxton has cleared 92 games 1 time in 8 seasons (7 non-covid seasons).

Robert has played 56 games (60 game season), 68, and 98 games.  His injury history isn't even close to Buxton's at this point.  So Jack's statement was silly (shocking!). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, flavum said:

Only one thing for Robert to do this year- stay on the field. Need 650 PAs and world class defense. 

Yep.  Even if Robert doesn't really improve on his career slash of .289/.334/.426 (122 wRC+), he still a 4-5 WAR player with 145 games played. 

While typing out his slash line you can't help but be a bit surprised since the narrative around him (both within the fanbase and nationally) is largely that he has been a huge disappointing with the bat.  And while he has gone long stretches looking like he doesn't have a single clue what he's doing, his overall numbers are still strong.  The upside is still absolutely astounding.  

Edited by ChiSox59

25 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

No s%*#.  Buxton has cleared 92 games 1 time in 8 seasons (7 non-covid seasons).

Robert has played 56 games (60 game season), 68, and 98 games.  His injury history isn't even close to Buxton's at this point.  So Jack's statement was silly (shocking!). 

yeah i think i read it as he was just asking about him not comparing, my bad.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2023 at 11:55 AM, Tnetennba said:

Hey, I hope I'm wrong.   If they win 90+ and take the division I will happily admit how wrong I was.  It just feels to me that way more has to go right.  Again.  There are a lot of IFs being counted on, and they haven't exactly had the most inspiring offseason.

They addressed a number of issues, lost Abreu and have depth issues at SP. I will gamble on the offense being better.

10 minutes ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

Wasn’t he hurt a number of times while in the minor leagues?

I know at least once he had a serious injury/surgery to his hand/thumb which he injured sliding head first into second base in a minor league game.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I know at least once he had a serious injury/surgery to his hand/thumb which he injured sliding head first into second base in a minor league game.

Yes I remember that one and he missed a significant chunk of that season.  I thought there was a second one in the minors as well.  Could be his rookie year I’m thinking of.

28 minutes ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

Yes I remember that one and he missed a significant chunk of that season.  I thought there was a second one in the minors as well.  Could be his rookie year I’m thinking of.

March 2018 — Luis Robert’s suffers left thumb sprain following a slide and was out two months

July 2, 2018 — Luis Robert injures left thumb again

Just 10 days into his promotion to Advanced-A and about a month into his career, Robert again sprained his left thumb, which sent him to the IL, he returned July 3 only to then miss the rest of the month before finally settling back into the lineup on Aug. 3

1 hour ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

Wasn’t he hurt a number of times while in the minor leagues?

Yes.  I am not debating that Robert has been injured alot.  He has.  But he has 5 more seasons to play with only surpassing 92 games once before he is on Buxton's level of un-availableness.  That's the point I am making.  I am not trying to convince anyone that Robert is a tough guy that plays through injuries.  Both Luis and Yoan act like they need a backiatomy or limb amputation multiple times a game. 

Edited by ChiSox59

I picked them third last year and hated it. When I look at it with an unbiased eye, I'm thinking second.

But I've convinced myself they will win the division this year. I'm going all in, I've even located my Sox hitch cover to proudly display before opening day. I'll wear a Sox jersey to work on opening day (cool tradition at school)  and endure the taunts from Astro fans. 

• Like 2

The White Sox should win the Central, but that doesn't mean that they will, and I don't think anyone can make a prediction about this team. What we do know is that 2023 is a key year and will help determine if this rebuild is successful or not. The difference will not be any of the few off-season pick-ups. The core group of young players will have to step up and produce.  Then we will see if the FO doesn't anything smart and effective at the trade deadline.