Sox unveil $5 Tuesday for select concession items

Sleepy Harold

16oz modella and a nachos for 10 bucks is a pretty damn good deal. That's the sort of thing that would def entice me to go to a game on a random Tuesday if I lived in Chicago. Good on the Sox for finally doing something nice for the fans. And, if they do it right and market it well the gate receipts will offset any revenue loss.

20 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

16oz modella and a nachos for 10 bucks is a pretty damn good deal. That's the sort of thing that would def entice me to go to a game on a random Tuesday if I lived in Chicago. Good on the Sox for finally doing something nice for the fans. And, if they do it right and market it well the gate receipts will offset any revenue loss.

It almost all profit anyway. they will make up in volume what they lose in price. They just don't want to be known as a saloon. $5 beers are going to get more people drunk. Hopefully, they won't be idiots and get into fights or bother people, so they can keep stuff like this up. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Still worth it at $9.

Here is going to be the issue.  The beer is draft and as such you can't get from the vendor.  Curtails the 

Miller Lite, dog and pizza for $15...that'll play.

Consolidating tailgating makes sense due to the clean up. 

I'd probably pay $15....but don't tell Jerry that.

35 minutes ago, ewokpelts said:

Tailgating at Guaranteed Rate Field | Chicago White Sox (mlb.com) i'm not so sure about that. at least the tables

Well I think a table with some tailgating goods that is within a reasonable length of your car and not set up for drinking games would be fine in the lots you can tailgate in. The larger sizes of tables and large tailgate parties belong in lot E. They are charging anywhere from $100-$500 per spot depending on the size of the tailgate and the amount of spaces needed.

6 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

It almost all profit anyway. they will make up in volume what they lose in price. They just don't want to be known as a saloon. $5 beers are going to get more people drunk. Hopefully, they won't be idiots and get into fights or bother people, so they can keep stuff like this up. 

Bingo. The PGA Tour has even said they price beers to keep people from getting drunk. 

Sucks that a few bad apples ruin it for the rest of us happy drunks. 

54 minutes ago, ewokpelts said:

The same number of people get drunk on 10.75 Miller lites

Possibly. But a number of studies have linked increase consumption when alcohol is cheaper. 

https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh26-1/22-34.htm

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/12/26/16738722/alcohol-minimum-price 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7755127/#:~:text=Among “causal drinkers%2C” happy,3-hours of reduced prices.

1 hour ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

You really need three studies to confirm that? Obviously when price is decreased, consumption increases and vice versa

I didn't even need one. Like you, I thought it was obvious.  @ewokpelts had an interesting counter that the same number if people get drunk at double the price. 

Another factor is where a person is drinking after the game. If the drinks are going to be more expensive they will grab a couple extra at the game. If they are heading somewhere cheaper they will hold off buying another one or two. 

On 3/16/2023 at 8:49 AM, he gone. said:

Good on them! 

We all complained about this and they listened. Have to give credit where credit is due. I hope the turnouts are good & makes the Sox think about expanding this type of program. I would love to see something like Upper Deck v. Lower Deck Pricing. Or some sort of UD sections that have deals like this all the time. 

There was a time where I couldn't afford good seats and a night at the ballpark, and would love to see the Sox cater towards those who are younger and/or in a poorer financial position. They deserve to be able to go to a game and not feel broke at the end. 

Great move by the Sox and hopefully this last offseason was a hiccup in how they treat their fan base. 

Look forward to $5 polish and Modelos in my future. 

It would be a hiccup if it didn’t happen every year.

Treating the fans with gratitude would be the hiccup for this organization.

Hell of a deal compared to other clubs tbh. Was planning on coming to Chicago this season at some point to see my Sox, just now need to make sure its scheduled for during the week haha.