Moncada hurt during WBC

Heads22

9 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I mean some people pass out because of the awkward pain and inability to breathe. Moncada could have just needed a moment to adjust to the quick change in breathing and pain. 

Got it. Yeah, I’m thinking he freaked himself out more than anything. 

8 hours ago, Quin said:

I think it was on Reddit where someone said that the dude suffers from LeBronitis. He grimaces after fucking everything.

Some people are like Abreu and Paulie who play through everything. Then you have dudes who look like they're in constant pain.

But I just enjoy posters saying "he's not hurt" and then it coming back that he has a bruised rib. If you have a bruised rib, yeah, you're probably gonna be down for a minute to catch your breath.

I don't understand the proof that he's soft comment. Unless you feel what he feels how can there be proof ? Certainly not proof that would hold up in a court of Law. Class action suit: White Sox Iron-Men fans vs. Yoan "House of Pain" Moncada.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Moncada hit .435 in the WBC, with a ton of power, and that was met with silence. Which is fine. But then someone collides with him in the outfield which somehow means it's time to start taking shots at him again.

I don't get it.

Yoan sells every little ding like he's Shawn Michaels, but I don't see how anybody can call him soft.  He's dramatic, but he doesn't miss much time at all.  He doesn't "act tough" but the proof is in the pudding.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't understand the proof that he's soft comment. Unless you feel what he feels how can there be proof ? Certainly not proof that would hold up in a court of Law. Class action suit: White Sox Iron-Men fans vs. Yoan "House of Pain" Moncada.

Yoan sells every little ding like he's Shawn Michaels, but I don't see how anybody can call him soft.  He's dramatic, but he doesn't miss much time at all.  He doesn't "act tough" but the proof is in the pudding.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maxjusttyped said:

Moncada hit .435 in the WBC, with a ton of power, and that was met with silence. Which is fine. But then someone collides with him in the outfield which somehow means it's time to start taking shots at him again.

I don't get it.

Too much sex appeal. Threatens the male masses.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, maxjusttyped said:

I don't get it.

I imagine there’s resentment that he didn’t pan out as the face of the franchise superstar that the hype of being the #1 overall prospect tends to generate, so some people are just waiting for reasons to criticize him. Which is silly, of course.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sullythered said:

Fox Sports lists his injuries. They don't specify how many of those required DL/IL stints but he went on the list three times last year for example: 

DATE
INJURY
8/25/22
Hamstring
7/6/22
Foot
6/17/22
Hamstring
5/28/22
Quad
4/7/22
Oblique
7/1/21
Hand
6/15/21
Illness
8/29/20
Leg
7/30/19
Hamstring
6/26/19
Knee
6/16/19
Back
6/10/19
Back
6/2/19
Leg Soreness
5/5/18
Left hamstring tightness
5/4/18
Left hamstring tightness
4/21/18
Sore left hamstring
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Fox Sports lists his injuries. They don't specify how many of those required DL/IL stints but he went on the list three times last year for example: 

DATE
INJURY
8/25/22
Hamstring
7/6/22
Foot
6/17/22
Hamstring
5/28/22
Quad
4/7/22
Oblique
7/1/21
Hand
6/15/21
Illness
8/29/20
Leg
7/30/19
Hamstring
6/26/19
Knee
6/16/19
Back
6/10/19
Back
6/2/19
Leg Soreness
5/5/18
Left hamstring tightness
5/4/18
Left hamstring tightness
4/21/18
Sore left hamstring

If we're doing his whole tenure with the team, last year was his first missing  significant time.

2018: 149 games

2019: 132 games (give or take this one)

2020: 52 games 

2021: 144 games

2022: 104 games

• Thanks 2

Since we're making comments on Moncada, let me say this:  His offense is what it is.  We can all see his numbers.  But on defense, he gets a lot of praise here. I have noticed in the last 3 years or so, he made a lot of lousy throws to first that Abreu was able to snag. IOW, Abreu save Moncada a lot of errors.  I doubt if Vaughn and Sheets are as good as Abreu in scooping up errant throws.  This means we will be looking at a lot of throwing errors from Moncada in 2023, IMO.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Snopek said:

I imagine there’s resentment that he didn’t pan out as the face of the franchise superstar that the hype of being the #1 overall prospect tends to generate, so some people are just waiting for reasons to criticize him. Which is silly, of course.

This. Moncada is a very good player outside of 2022 but he's not a franchise changing superstar and those were the expectations. The fans (wrongly) think he's a bust because he's merely a 3-4 WAR player most years and not Jose Ramirez. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, oldsox said:

Since we're making comments on Moncada, let me say this:  His offense is what it is.  We can all see his numbers.  But on defense, he gets a lot of praise here. I have noticed in the last 3 years or so, he made a lot of lousy throws to first that Abreu was able to snag. IOW, Abreu save Moncada a lot of errors.  I doubt if Vaughn and Sheets are as good as Abreu in scooping up errant throws.  This means we will be looking at a lot of throwing errors from Moncada in 2023, IMO.

I must have missed Jose Abreu playing for Cuba in the WBC where the announcers were lauding Moncada for his defense.

Especially one play where the PBP guy goes "it'll be tricky to get Turner on this" and Yoan guns him down by 4 steps.

18 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

I don't get it.

Simple.  .435 in the WBC does not affect his MLB season one bit.  An injury may very well affect part of the season.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, oldsox said:

Now we are complaining about hypothetical errors, since we cannot complain about real errors.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

On 3/20/2023 at 6:35 PM, maxjusttyped said:

I don't get it.

The Sox fan base is toxic as hell, as evidenced by Caulfield's heel turn when being as negative as possible became the cool thing to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/20/2023 at 5:33 PM, sullythered said:

I guess I just don't understand the need to immediately get up from something that hurts and possibly do more damage. This rub some dirt on it, get up walk it off macho BS should 've stopped happening a long time ago . Is sports the last bastion of male judgemental bullying of the supposed weak garbage ? We have no right to call anyone soft based on our observations of body language. It's just a biased judgement based on no inside information. We don't share pain receptors or brain function.

Concussions used to mean nothing. How is that looking now ? You got your bell rung . You'll be ok .

• Like 4

"YOUNG ACHES AND PAINS" https://www.nytimes.com/1989/02/26/sports/old-aches-and-pains.html

If he only has half of Luke Appling's career,  20 years (all with Sox), lifetime 310 hitter:

"The man known as Old Aches and Pains acquired his nickname by playing despite injuries yet always telling anyone within earshot he was hurting with a variety of maladies.

''I've still got them,'' said Appling, who was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1964. ''I've got a bad right knee. Hurt it in an old-timers game. And a bad left knee and right shoulder. I reinjured the right knee a couple of years ago. I think it's mutilated now.''