Moncada hurt during WBC

Heads22

On 3/20/2023 at 3:45 PM, Illinibat said:

Moncada and the Sox will milk this the entire season as the reason he is hitting .200

I mean….he is pre and post-excusing

“Injuries definitely had an effect on my performance the last couple of years, but I can’t blame it all on the injuries. Especially this year, the past is the past. If I stay healthy, I’m going to be able to perform.”

On 3/20/2023 at 8:24 PM, Snopek said:

I imagine there’s resentment that he didn’t pan out as the face of the franchise superstar that the hype of being the #1 overall prospect tends to generate, so some people are just waiting for reasons to criticize him. Which is silly, of course.

My only resentment is that he's blocking Burger who is actually a good and useful player.

Edited by Illinibat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Illinibat said:

My only resentment is that he's blocking Burger who is actually a good and useful player.

According to what, exactly?  

Even if you want to completely dismiss the fact that Moncada is an elite defensive 3B and Jake Burger might not even be the best defensive 3B on a competitive mens softball team, I am really curious to hear how you come to this conclusion.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Even if you want to completely dismiss the fact that Moncada is an elite defensive 3B and Jake Burger might not even be the best defensive 3B on a competitive mens softball team, I am really curious to hear how you come to this conclusion.  

Because I think Burger is going to be an .800+ OPS player if he ever gets the at bats somewhere and Moncada is a bust.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Don't waste your keystrokes.  Dude LOVES Burger and thinks Moncada is one of the worst players around, facts or evidence be damned.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean, you can play a random light hitting shortstop at third. Moncada isn’t special in his play. Power at a power position is important. He just doesn’t belong at third base with his lack of power.

15 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

I mean, you can play a random light hitting shortstop at third. Moncada isn’t special in his play. Power at a power position is important. He just doesn’t belong at third base with his lack of power.

Huh? Moncada is an elite 3B. He’s definitely a very good defensive 3B. Yoan had a terrible 2022 offensively, but let’s see how 23 goes before we deem that he doesn’t belong at 3B. Glad these small contingent of anti-Moncada Soxtalk isn’t responsible for roster decisions. Regardless, the answer at 3B is not Burger for anything more than a short term fill in. He’s an absolute butcher over there. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Huh? Moncada is an elite 3B. He’s definitely a very good defensive 3B. Yoan had a terrible 2022 offensively, but let’s see how 23 goes before we deem that he doesn’t belong at 3B. Glad these small contingent of anti-Moncada Soxtalk isn’t responsible for roster decisions. Regardless, the answer at 3B is not Burger for anything more than a short term fill in. He’s an absolute butcher over there. 

i've never been anti-Moncada per say. Just that he shouldn't be playing third.

6 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

i've never been anti-Moncada per say. Just that he shouldn't be playing third.

As opposed to returning to 2B, where he was a disaster defensively?  He's a gold glove caliber 3B even if his hitting doesn't rebound to 2019 levels.  No one else on the roster supplants him.

Just now, Tnetennba said:

As opposed to returning to 2B, where he was a disaster defensively?  He's a gold glove caliber 3B even if his hitting doesn't rebound to 2019 levels.  No one else on the roster supplants him.

You telling me Andrus couldn't play third as well as Moncada can? Honestly I don't know where Moncada should be playing. And this past situation at second base, nothing says Moncada simply improved in the field in general since that small sample size snapshot in his career, and could play second base passably, where his occasional power would make him even more valuable. Sacrificing power at the altar of defense for third basemen is not a widespread model for sure. It would be very easy to replicate. Team don't  do that for a reason. Power is that reason

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Moncada's salary balanced against his actual production is a reason you couldn't trade him for anything.  There, gave ya another. April 3 my man.

Moncada’s salary is completely irrelevant in the topic of whether or not he should be playing 3B over Jake fuckin Burger. 

• Like 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Moncada’s salary is completely irrelevant in the topic of whether or not he should be playing 3B over Jake fuckin Burger. 

I don't disagree on that point. Only that his valure as a player on this team would be based on his bat, not third base defense. And for some reason, third base defense is regarded as sacrsanct  in the Moncada discussion. Way overrated.

7 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

I don't disagree on that point. Only that his valure as a player on this team would be based on his bat, not third base defense. And for some reason, third base defense is regarded as sacrsanct  in the Moncada discussion. Way overrated.

We all want to see more from Yoan’s bat, but perhaps you’re taking for granted what it’s like to have a reliable, great defender at 3B. I don’t think I understand why you would downplay how valuable that is.

• Thanks 3

18 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Moncada's salary balanced against his actual production is a reason you couldn't trade him for anything.  There, gave ya another. April 3 my man.

yeah, uh, Monada's salary is as irrelevant as your hot takes.  I'm sorry, I just can't take you seriously.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

You telling me Andrus couldn't play third as well as Moncada can? Honestly I don't know where Moncada should be playing. And this past situation at second base, nothing says Moncada simply improved in the field in general since that small sample size snapshot in his career, and could play second base passably, where his occasional power would make him even more valuable. Sacrificing power at the altar of defense for third basemen is not a widespread model for sure. It would be very easy to replicate. Team don't  do that for a reason. Power is that reason

3B would be the correct answer.

• Thanks 5

18 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Can we combine Moncada and Burger into one player? Burcada anyone? 

Monger?

"Monburger" could be a nice French-flair burger they could serve alongside that champaign hot dog or whatever the hell it is.