And so it begins!

Chimpton

New season and already Moncada and Eloy have managed to get injuries, I know they are both supposed to be minor injuries but it doesn't exactly fill you with confidence that they can play a full 162 game season without being on the injured list. No doubt Moncada's 'rib contusion' will be blamed when he has an underwhelming start to the season with the bat. And if Eloy is getting calf cramps after 2 innings why oh why have him running about the outfield, rather than keeping him DHing?

• Like 1

After listening to Vinnie Dumber provide context from Pedro saying that the players would be playing if it weren't spring training, I find myself just hoping that Yoan, Eloy and Vaughn feel better soon since they can take rest right now.

Especially after Yoan dominated the WBC and Eloy played exceptional in his own right.

Moncada colliding in the OF has me less concerned about the injury bug on the whole as Eloy “cramping” up running to 1st.  Eloy looked great in the WBC and physically he actually looks to be in the best shape of his life, so it’s discouraging to see him with a leg issue already.  Hopefully Moncada being dumb doesn’t set him back, we need him to be in WBC form this year if the team is going to make any noise. 

• Like 2

Big men like Eloy have trouble with pulled muscles and other similar injuries. I don't see him playing 162 games, and I don't think keeping him out of the outfield will make a difference. As for Moncada, I don't expect that much offensively. Put him down in the order to give him less at-bats.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

These guys aren’t playing 162. 125-130 from Eloy especially would a huge step in the right direction. 

Oh no I agree 125-130 would be great by the standards of recent seasons. And it is worth noting Eloy has never managed that many games in a season, in fact he has only played more than 100 in one season and that was 4 years ago!

27 minutes ago, Highland said:

Big men like Eloy have trouble with pulled muscles and other similar injuries. I don't see him playing 162 games, and I don't think keeping him out of the outfield will make a difference. As for Moncada, I don't expect that much offensively. Put him down in the order to give him less at-bats.

I know 162 was not realistic, for any player,  but Eloy has only managed more than100 games once in 4 seasons. Keeping him out of the outfield would reduce the risk of injury although as we discovered last season base running is just as hazardous.

10 hours ago, Chimpton said:

New season and already Moncada and Eloy have managed to get injuries, I know they are both supposed to be minor injuries but it doesn't exactly fill you with confidence that they can play a full 162 game season without being on the injured list. No doubt Moncada's 'rib contusion' will be blamed when he has an underwhelming start to the season with the bat. And if Eloy is getting calf cramps after 2 innings why oh why have him running about the outfield, rather than keeping him DHing?

The Athletic today had a story basically echoing your comments that even a "minor" injury given their histories and what happened to the team last year gives fans cause for concern.

Eloy has made it clear publicly on numerous occasions he hates being a DH and the Sox attempt to keep him happy and engaged may have something to do with why he is playing some outfield. 

• Thanks 1

Eloy is in great shape and has looked good in the outfield. Fast and tall with great reach. He will spend some time on the injury list like most other players during the season for minor strains, sprains, etc..but let's hope nothing major because this guy is a stud that can carry this team for a series or two when other batters are cold. Vaughn's back issue appears to be minor. He said he could play tomorrow if needed. Moncada is ready to go for opening day. I'm not concerned about this line-up but I wonder if  our starting and relief pitching will keep us in enough games to go on winning streaks that  keep us in contention for the Division led.  Almost all of our Division competitors have improved so it is hard to predict who will win the Central.

2 hours ago, tray said:

Eloy is in great shape and has looked good in the outfield. Fast and tall with great reach. He will spend some time on the injury list like most other players during the season for minor strains, sprains, etc..but let's hope nothing major because this guy is a stud that can carry this team for a series or two when other batters are cold. Vaughn's back issue appears to be minor. He said he could play tomorrow if needed. Moncada is ready to go for opening day. I'm not concerned about this line-up but I wonder if  our starting and relief pitching will keep us in enough games to go on winning streaks that  keep us in contention for the Division led.  Almost all of our Division competitors have improved so it is hard to predict who will win the Central.

He's rangy...certainly not fast or quick.  Maybe you can argue slightly above average outcome speed when he gets going...but not fast accelerating.  A bit reminiscent of Avi Garcia.  Always has had a pretty poor arm and throwing mechanics.

Reach means nothing without solid instinctual breaks on the ball and correct routes/reads.

On 3/21/2023 at 9:24 AM, Highland said:

That is a bunch of crap! Eloy has a lot of problems with pulled muscles but it's not because he is a big man. Not all big men have these issues.

Playing more games is a matter of training properly in the off season and stretching properly every game. This means proper stretching not only before the game, but throughout the entire game.

Eloy is is 6'4" 240 lbs and played in only 84 games in 2022.

Let's compare Eloy to the other "Big Men" in baseball from the 2022 season:

Matt Olson             6'5" - 225 lbs - 162 games 100%
Pete Alonso            6'3" - 245 lbs - 160 games  99%
Vladimir Guerrero 6'2" - 245 lbs - 160 games  99%
Freddie Freeman   6'2" - 220 lbs - 159 games  98%
Austin Riley            6'3" - 240 lbs - 158 games   98%
Jose Abreu              6'3" - 235 lbs - 157 games   97%
Aaron Judge           6'7" - 282 lbs - 157 games    97%
Nathaniel Lowe     6'4" - 220 lbs - 157 games    97%
Shohei Ohtani       6'4" - 210 lbs - 157 games    97%
Rhys Hoskins         6'4" - 245lbs -  156 games    96%
Eloy Jimenez          6'4" - 240 lbs -  84 games      52%

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

That is a bunch of crap! Eloy has a lot of problems with pulled muscles but it's not because he is a big man. Not all big men have these issues.

Playing more games is a matter of training properly in the off season and stretching properly every game. This means proper stretching not only before the game, but throughout the entire game.

Damn, you brought some serious facts.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

What criteria are you using to define “big men”?   Because it really appears that you’re cherry picking here. 

7 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

How many of those guys are outfielders.  Hoskins is done for this season.

Eloy had surgery for a hamstring injury running to first base after only 11 games last year.  Hopefully that wont' happen again. Arguably he will be less susceptible to hamstring and other injuries if he keeps his hamstrings stretched out, and plays several games in the outfield to stay in shape. No doubt he is going to have some injuries and time on the DL. but as I mentioned, if the Sox get 100 or more games with him in the line-up, he will be a difference maker. You take what you can get from these players. None of them are perfect. He's not Aaron Judge, but he is as close to that as we have in our line-up.

12 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Why did you pick mostly first basemen.  Kind of flies in the face of “these guys all can run around the outfield” point that we always debate about Eloy, doesn’t it

5 hours ago, tray said:

Eloy had surgery for a hamstring injury running to first base after only 11 games last year.  Hopefully that wont' happen again. Arguably he will be less susceptible to hamstring and other injuries if he keeps his hamstrings stretched out, and plays several games in the outfield to stay in shape. No doubt he is going to have some injuries and time on the DL. but as I mentioned, if the Sox get 100 or more games with him in the line-up, he will be a difference maker. You take what you can get from these players. None of them are perfect. He's not Aaron Judge, but he is as close to that as we have in our line-up.

Eloy hasn't managed 100 games since his rookie year, and I would argue that him trundling around the outfield is more likely to result in him being injured than DHing, if a professional 'athlete' can't stretch out properly before an at bat, that talks more about their lack of professionalism than anything else.

I think we all want Eloy to play 100+ games and reproduce the form we saw at the end of last season, I just think playing him most games at DH and the occasional OF will give a better chance of that.

32 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

Eloy hasn't managed 100 games since his rookie year, and I would argue that him trundling around the outfield is more likely to result in him being injured than DHing, if a professional 'athlete' can't stretch out properly before an at bat, that talks more about their lack of professionalism than anything else.

I think we all want Eloy to play 100+ games and reproduce the form we saw at the end of last season, I just think playing him most games at DH and the occasional OF will give a better chance of that.

To say he was hurt because he didn’t stretch out enough, is actually a stretch. A lot of hammy problems around the league, especially last year. Players are going to get hurt. It’s part of what happens. Some guys never seem to get hurt. Some guys always seem to be hurt. Unfortunately, many of the Sox players seem to be the later right now. Hopefully it can change. Luis Robert is a workout warrior. No one is more cut than him, and he might play less than Eloy. As John Kruk once said, you can’t pull fat.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

To say he was hurt because he didn’t stretch out enough, is actually a stretch. A lot of hammy problems around the league, especially last year. Players are going to get hurt. It’s part of what happens. Some guys never seem to get hurt. Some guys always seem to be hurt. Unfortunately, many of the Sox players seem to be the later right now. Hopefully it can change. Luis Robert is a workout warrior. No one is more cut than him, and he might play less than Eloy. As John Kruk once said, you can’t pull fat.

I was responding to a comment that said if he played outfield he would be less likely to get hamstring injuries if he was 'stretched out' by playing outfield. But one factor, but I agree not the only one, in hamstring injuries is failure to stretch out or warm up before explosive exercise like running the bases, that is why athletes warm up before sprint races in athletics! 

3 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

I was responding to a comment that said if he played outfield he would be less likely to get hamstring injuries if he was 'stretched out' by playing outfield. But one factor, but I agree not the only one, in hamstring injuries is failure to stretch out or warm up before explosive exercise like running the bases, that is why athletes warm up before sprint races in athletics! 

Funny thing is stretching can decrease speed and power. There is a fine line and you cannot expect the athletes to know exactly what their line is. I doubt Eloy was missing any stretching sessions. The strength and conditioning guys stretch the guys out or at least supervise. Injuries are going to happen. I don’t fault the trainers or conditioning guys or players. Most during the season go through the same routines. Some never get hurt, some seem always injured.

9 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Funny thing is stretching can decrease speed and power. There is a fine line and you cannot expect the athletes to know exactly what their line is. I doubt Eloy was missing any stretching sessions. The strength and conditioning guys stretch the guys out or at least supervise. Injuries are going to happen. I don’t fault the trainers or conditioning guys or players. Most during the season go through the same routines. Some never get hurt, some seem always injured.

Yea we can talk all we want about stretching and adding muscle and it certainly helps in some and not at all in others. Genes have a lot to do with injuries , some people just aren't "built" right to give sustained max effort whether you're an athlete or a construction worker Gio experimented with extra pounds and Eloy too. Now they both decided they were too heavy.They are still figuring it out for themselves what's best for them so I don't see how we can decide that for them.

Still I'd rather have Eloy in the batters box than in the OF by a long shot.

Wouldn't that be neat if Pedro took the city by storm? Sox have a winning record in each of the first 3 months, then blaze to victory, run away in the crap Central then ride a strong, emerging starting rotation to the crown?

-- defense concerns me; bullpen concerns me though. guys would have to step up. Moncada and Timmy and Elvis are capable of being vaccuums. 1B is a sieve though and the outfield potentially a disaster again.