Leury Garcia released

Heads22

39 minutes ago, Bossanoveralls said:

I actually felt sorry for Leury what with Tony trotting him out there every day.

Probably everybody on the team including Leury knew it was fucked up, but what's he gonna do?

"Naw, Skip. Better not pencil me in today. Have you noticed the guys? And the natives in the stands mighty restless."

I felt sorry for myself. And must hang onto my fear and depression until he is out of the organization. He’s an injury away.

Very pleasantly surprised by this move and it has nothing to do with Leury personally. It does however have everything to do with him as a baseball player. He brings nothing to the team to make them better. And maybe, just maybe the Sox finally have a Manager that will put winning above everything else. 

• Like 3

Good luck Leury. You were my adopt a prospect and I liked your speed and versatility and your big smile and often stuck up for you. However after last year it became apparent that there were going to be better options even though you had many supporters or was it Andrus detractors early in the off season ? A bit of both I suppose. But in the end you're not on the team and Andrus is a starting 2nd baseman for better or worse.

In any case have fun with your money . You should have enough for the rest of your life to live comfortably.

1 hour ago, Bossanoveralls said:

I actually felt sorry for Leury what with Tony trotting him out there every day.

Probably everybody on the team including Leury knew it was fucked up, but what's he gonna do?

"Naw, Skip. Better not pencil me in today. Have you noticed the guys? And the natives in the stands mighty restless."

I completely agree with this. Was it a game last year or the year before, where the Sox had a game on National TV, and the announcers kept questioning, over and over, why TLR had him batting lead off. What an incredibly stupid misuse of a player.

At some level, you know that had to be embarrassing for Leury. IMO, Tony, more than Leury, is responsible for fans disliking Leury.

• Like 2
  • TLR 1

6 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

I completely agree with this. Was it a game last year or the year before, where the Sox had a game on National TV, and the announcers kept questioning, over and over, why TLR had him batting lead off. What an incredibly stupid misuse of a player.

At some level, you know that had to be embarrassing for Leury. IMO, Tony, more than Leury, is responsible for fans disliking Leury.

This. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Leury’s remaining contract money is guaranteed, right? Sox have to eat it no matter what? Or if he makes another team, what happens?

It’s guaranteed. He will be placed on waivers. No one will touch him until he clears. Then once he clears he will sign with someone for League minimum and the Sox will still be on the hook for paying him. 

• Like 1

After thinking on it, I hope they honor Leury's tenure with the team eventually.

A statue is way too much, as is number retirement. But goddamn do they love naming stands after people.

Give me Leury's Rainbow Cone stand or something, to really hammer home his utility and upbeat personality.

• Like 3
  • TLR 1

Just now, Greg Hibbard said:

Leury’s remaining contract money is guaranteed, right? Sox have to eat it no matter what? Or if he makes another team, what happens?

If so, they deserve all the heartburn they get for giving him that stupid contract in the first place.

Perhaps a family size okra on the side might help it slide down.

Num num num num.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Quin said:

After thinking on it, I hope they honor Leury's tenure with the team eventually.

A statue is way too much, as is number retirement. But goddamn do they love naming stands after people.

Give me Leury's Rainbow Cone stand or something, to really hammer home his utility and upbeat personality.

Too soon.

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

They could name the bathrooms after him!

1 minute ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Very good question. Although they have two or three guys who will probably be leaving (Giolito? Lynn? Hendriks?)

If Hendriks misses the whole season it would be incredibly shitty to not pick up that option given that they have to pay him the money either way. 

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

If Hendriks misses the whole season it would be incredibly shitty to not pick up that option given that they have to pay him the money either way. 

It is an unusual contract though and the Sox have a clause in it that can space out payments. Don't know all the details, simply saying there are no guarantees, although if he is back by May/June (as many are speculating) that could end the uncertainties one way or the other:

"His contract had an unusual twist, perhaps the first of its kind in baseball. The fourth year of the deal had an option year, worth 15 million but included a 15-million-dollar buyout. If the White Sox declined the option, the buyout would be paid in 10 equal installments between 2024 and 2033. The paying of money down the road, something NFL teams often do, could help with the ‘luxury tax’ threshold should the Sox be in that position where it becomes an issue."

The ability to space out the payments could be a factor in the decision making process depending on what JR says the team payroll will be in 2024. Hard to say anything for sure right now, just that the option could come into play because of the way the contract is written. And that's assuming JR is still running the club in 2024.  

Edited by Lip Man 1

I got pissed on by my cat earlier today and then the bastard scratched me shortly thereafter, so this good news is very much needed. My 90 year half blind nan could give us more than this dude could/did.

Edited by Taz
  • Like 3

• knightni changed the title to Leury Garcia released