Leury Garcia released

Heads22

I personally wish Leury the best. A good guy, always a smile on his face. He could still be useful as a 26th man and I expect he’ll find a new home quickly once he’s eventually released. Not his fault Tony and the FO grossly overvalued him. Good luck, Leury! 

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I personally wish Leury the best. A good guy, always a smile on his face. He could still be useful as a 26th man and I expect he’ll find a new home quickly once he’s eventually released. Not his fault Tony and the FO grossly overvalued him. Good luck, Leury! 

It started before Tony with Ricky’s obsession with him. TLR just took it to a whole other level

Edited by Vote4Pedro
  • Like 2

Just now, Vote4Pedro said:

It started before Tony with Ricky’s obsession with him. TLR just took it to a whole other level

Leury was a useful utility player from 17-21. He was perfectly fine for what he was. Comping the Ricky teams to the TLR teams is kind of silly because the talent of the roster was much different. Don’t really care to debate him any longer as he’s gone, just saying i wish him well. The club make the right call. 

LaRussa must be in shock. 

Leury  had some big moments. Han paid him handsomely for them. Hard to believe he gave him 3 years. It was the exact same mistake he made with Keppinger. 

I doubt his replacement will play much better than he did before last season, but if Leury is what he was last season, he needs to find another line of work.

Objectively, this was the right move.  Removing emotion, I do wish Leury the best.  He was paid way more than his play was worth, but good for him honestly. Sucks that the deal probably kept them from making other moves. It was a waste of limited resources and ill conceived from the start, but it’s now history.  The last remnants of TLR’s reign of terror feel washed away to me.   It was time to move on and the org made the right move for a change.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

I didn’t think the sox would eat Leury’s contract, honestly. Hopefully this is a sign they’re moving in the right direction. Is there any way they keep him in Charlotte. I wouldn’t hate him as a AAAA guy

He’d have to consent to it. Seems unlikely. 

15 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

I didn’t think the sox would eat Leury’s contract, honestly. Hopefully this is a sign they’re moving in the right direction. Is there any way they keep him in Charlotte. I wouldn’t hate him as a AAAA guy

If you were just canned on the eve of the season with 2 years left on your deal, would you want to stick around and head to Charlotte?  I wouldn’t.  No team will claim him, but I’ll be surprised if a team doesn’t offer a big league deal at the minimum. 

1 minute ago, Quin said:

While last year sucked and he shouldn't be on the roster this year, Leury is still a good dude who was fun to root for for nine years.

I found him likable until Ricky started over using him.  Then came TLR, then the awful deal, and it was hard to separate likeable dude from overpaid declining player being horribly misused  and overused. 

• Like 1

I actually felt sorry for Leury what with Tony trotting him out there every day.

Probably everybody on the team including Leury knew it was fucked up, but what's he gonna do?

"Naw, Skip. Better not pencil me in today. Have you noticed the guys? And the natives in the stands mighty restless."

• Like 3

• knightni changed the title to Leury Garcia released