Leury Garcia released

Heads22

1 hour ago, Quin said:

After thinking on it, I hope they honor Leury's tenure with the team eventually.

A statue is way too much, as is number retirement. But goddamn do they love naming stands after people.

Give me Leury's Rainbow Cone stand or something, to really hammer home his utility and upbeat personality.

I wish they'd bring back the fresh made waffle cones where they put Rainbow Cone.....and sure name it after Leury.

3 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Leury’s remaining contract money is guaranteed, right? Sox have to eat it no matter what? Or if he makes another team, what happens?

I believe if he gets picked up by another team and signs for league minimum, the Sox will still have to pay him his full salary less what the other club is paying him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

I completely agree with this. Was it a game last year or the year before, where the Sox had a game on National TV, and the announcers kept questioning, over and over, why TLR had him batting lead off. What an incredibly stupid misuse of a player.

At some level, you know that had to be embarrassing for Leury. IMO, Tony, more than Leury, is responsible for fans disliking Leury.

Iirc, did he not bat clean up in a game as well? Or am I mis-remembering?

• Like 1

If Leury still gets his $11 million no matter what, then it’s truly the best situation for all. I can’t believe the Sox did the right thing, but they did. They needed to swallow this money and close the door on the La Russa era. It’s a nice gesture, honestly. Leury gets a nice payday and exit bonus, can put a lot of it away, have a nice little victory lap stint bouncing up and down as an aging vet on a rebuilder for a nice final chapter on a substantial major league career. He was never really all that sensational, but he was a solid piece for many years and we really needed some continuity during those years. And we get to move on to pieces that actually have upside beyond replacement player. 

On 3/26/2023 at 5:46 PM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Good luck Leury. You were my adopt a prospect and I liked your speed and versatility and your big smile and often stuck up for you. However after last year it became apparent that there were going to be better options even though you had many supporters or was it Andrus detractors early in the off season ? A bit of both I suppose. But in the end you're not on the team and Andrus is a starting 2nd baseman for better or worse.

In any case have fun with your money . You should have enough for the rest of your life to live comfortably.

He had his flaws but was honestly fine when used properly.  He was just put into an untenable position by the folks in charge who set him up to be hated, much like Private Gomer Pyle in Full Metal Jacket.  Now the bedsheets have been pulled tight and the blanket party has begun. 

His replacement won't be much better. Not much will change with movement on literally the last roster spot. This team isn't good enough for that to matter.

He should have been a legend in Chicago. Low talent working class guy willing to do anything for the team. Always hustling, always giving 100%. 

• TLR 1

3 minutes ago, Texsox said:

His replacement won't be much better. Not much will change with movement on literally the last roster spot. This team isn't good enough for that to matter.

He should have been a legend in Chicago. Low talent working class guy willing to do anything for the team. Always hustling, always giving 100%. 

his replacement will likely be much better  considering Leury spent much of last year in the bottom of qualified hitters.  Low talent shouldn’t be celebrated, it should be moved out

• Like 7

Fegan's column on the roster decisions indicated that it looked like Leury's back injury from last season was still bothering him, both in the field and at the plate. If that's the case, after a full offseason of rest/rehab, it could be a chronic thing that will ultimately end his career.

3 hours ago, Texsox said:

If all goes well, Romy could make Alberto superfluous by mid-season. That could clear a spot for a true 4th OF acquisition via trade. That of course assumes the roster is healthy, more likely an injury opens up a spot for any acquisition, and Alberto is still needed for depth.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

his replacement will likely be much better  considering Leury spent much of last year in the bottom of qualified hitters.  Low talent shouldn’t be celebrated, it should be moved out

Let's hope Hahn knows utility talent. :gosox3:

13 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

I disagree. He was a decent enough utility player with a 760 Ops in 2021.He had an awful year last but overall was a decent ballplayer. I always root for a guy like that who works his tail off just to make it and stick in the MLB. Not everyone on the roster can be the most talented. No team can afford that. 

• Like 4

• knightni changed the title to Leury Garcia released