Leury Garcia released

Heads22

46 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I disagree. He was a decent enough utility player with a 760 Ops in 2021.He had an awful year last but overall was a decent ballplayer. I always root for a guy like that who works his tail off just to make it and stick in the MLB. Not everyone on the roster can be the most talented. No team can afford that. 

The Padres, Mets and Phillies are certainly trying too though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ptatc said:

I disagree. He was a decent enough utility player with a 760 Ops in 2021.He had an awful year last but overall was a decent ballplayer. I always root for a guy like that who works his tail off just to make it and stick in the MLB. Not everyone on the roster can be the most talented. No team can afford that. 

Not asking him to be the most talented, am asking him to not be the worst(or one of the worst) hitter in the entire league for almost an entire season.  His defense at the different positions wasn’t good enough to keep him on this team, that should say a lot.

I don’t wish him Ill will, I am happy he is gone.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Not asking him to be the most talented, am asking him to not be the worst(or one of the worst) hitter in the entire league for almost an entire season.  His defense at the different positions wasn’t good enough to keep him on this team, that should say a lot.

I don’t wish him Ill will, I am happy he is gone.  

Leury became one of those guys that LaRussa inexplicably fell in love with.  Before senility came into question, it used to work itself out. 

• Like 1

Kind of funny that they just skipped the DFA phase of this because they knew there was no way in hell anyone was claiming him or working a trade. 

I still do expect Leury to be back in the bigs pretty quickly, though.  

24 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Kind of funny that they just skipped the DFA phase of this because they knew there was no way in hell anyone was claiming him or working a trade. 

Yea I expect him to show up as the bench guy somewhere and be a pain in the ass and a lot of people will say “see!” But I am good moving on.  

40 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think his back may be more jacked up than we realize.

Of all of the talent squandering that the Sox have done over the past decade, I can't see any scenario in which dumping a 32 year old 11-year veteran with a .644 OPS will cause serious lamentations.   
LaRussa perhaps messed up his game, putting him in situations where he had little chance of success. But LaRussa also made him rich.  

• Like 1

• knightni changed the title to Leury Garcia released
19 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Sure, but 1 WAR is acceptable for a utility player. -1 WAR is not. 

That was for a year where he was overused and injured. Other than last year he was a decent utility player. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Of all of the talent squandering that the Sox have done over the past decade, I can't see any scenario in which dumping a 32 year old 11-year veteran with a .644 OPS will cause serious lamentations.   
LaRussa perhaps messed up his game, putting him in situations where he had little chance of success. But LaRussa also made him rich.  

I could see him being a minor league instructor within the next month.  

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

That was for a year where he was overused and injured. Other than last year he was a decent utility player. 

Agreed, if he was not overpaid and was just used in the role he had previously the joy people have for him not being on the team anymore would be much lower. No hate here just happy they are going higher upside lower cost moving forward. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

I liked Leury for the role he was suited for. We needed a little more in several areas, and his ceiling was very low and well defined, and there wasn’t any upside left. The best we could hope for was 1 WAR as a part time player who didn’t kill us on defense when used out of position. I believe we will do significantly better with our new strategy. If the plan is to play the starters, and Robert stays healthy, and Andrus works out at second, Leury’s two best defensive positions he might have gotten 25-30 combined starts in. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/31/2023 at 12:04 PM, Greg Hibbard said:

I liked Leury for the role he was suited for. We needed a little more in several areas, and his ceiling was very low and well defined, and there wasn’t any upside left. The best we could hope for was 1 WAR as a part time player who didn’t kill us on defense when used out of position. I believe we will do significantly better with our new strategy. If the plan is to play the starters, and Robert stays healthy, and Andrus works out at second, Leury’s two best defensive positions he might have gotten 25-30 combined starts in. 

And 30 starts is all I want out of the last guy on the roster. Fifty max with an occasional injury to a starter.