2023: MLB news not AL Central-related

caulfield12

10 hours ago, bmags said:

@CaliSoxFanViaSWside

image.png

James outman's incredible 8 game sample now across 2 seasons.

So far so good but extremely small sample and maybe not facing much LHP. I'll be watching his progress. I liked his entire game not just his hitting but hitting is always the 1st sign that you belong. Defense also makes you useful for late innings when you don't start and in all 3 OF positions with a decent arm.

2 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

Honorary White Sox James Outman just hit his 3rd HR of the season. Currently OPSing 1.500. Whether the Dodgers would have actually traded him is another story, but great call @CaliSoxFanViaSWside,

This is/was the exact type of profile the Sox should be targeting in trades.

With Bellinger gone, Turner gone, Taylor on downside of his career and Lux out, they really had no choice but to go with some younger players...assuming they were also saving as many bullets as possible to make a run at Ohtani or Reynolds.

The big key with all these rookies is seeing where they are at the 54 game mark after the league has made adjustments.

J Heyward just hit a bomb lol.  Vargas has been solid up the middle too.

5 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

Honorary White Sox James Outman just hit his 3rd HR of the season. Currently OPSing 1.500. Whether the Dodgers would have actually traded him is another story, but great call @CaliSoxFanViaSWside,

This is/was the exact type of profile the Sox should be targeting in trades.

It’s been like a week. We’ve seen guys have a great first week and flame out in the past. One week does not make a season.

11 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

It’s been like a week. We’ve seen guys have a great first week and flame out in the past. One week does not make a season.

For me it's as much about the idea of targeting that type of player being a sound one.

and I know he took a bunch of flack about it for whatever reason.

• Like 1

https://www.espn.com/mlb/attendance

Have to feel sorry for the Rays...10-0 and that level of home crowd support, even if it is very vocal.

Detroit (unless the current rebuild completely flops), Minnesota, Cleveland (as long as they keep winning), KC...are all in (relatively) decent shape financially.

The teams you have to be most worried about are the A's (obviously planning to leave for Vegas), Cincy (with that ownership, although it's really a baseball town through thick and thin, like Colorado), Rays and Miami Marlins.

my baby that I watered for 2 years 😢

On 11/27/2021 at 9:55 AM, bmags said:

I think personally that even as a pro -Segura-is-a-solid-player person that he would be more of a target to include from the Phil’s side. I don’t know why, but I think they will go after Baez.

So if I am Hahn, I think that’s a scenario where Id push to shed more, and that would be Keuchel.

But a Kimbrel/Keuchel for Segura/Marchon package frees up $19M from Sox and seems unlikely.

A big win from my side is if we send out Kimbrel to LA for some mid level, ML near guys.

Getting Jacob Amaya or James Outman adds some much needed position player depth that plays across the field, and opens up 40-man spots for dodgers, where Sox have a good amount.

Kimbrel for Outman, Amaya would add a much needed defensive SS (unless you think Sanchez is that) and upgrades Luis Gonzalez, both with guys who if they refund their bat (Amaya) or bat is real (outman) add some real talent.

And it seems Sox could get a better player if Eat some cost.

Unfortunately they also lost Luis Gonzalez whom Outman was supposed to upgrade on 😢

On 4/4/2023 at 9:11 PM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Dodd was a 2-way guy at Kankakee CC and not very good at either.  After 2 years he transfered to SEMO and decided to concentrate on pitching.  He turned into a 3rd round draft pick and now he's in the god damn big leagues.  Unbelievable.

Can Dylan Dodd surpass Tom Prince as the greatest player in Kankakee (in any way whatsoever) history?

Questions only I care about.

49 minutes ago, Quin said:

Can Dylan Dodd surpass Tom Prince as the greatest player in Kankakee (in any way whatsoever) history?

Questions only I care about.

Sweet Lou Collier for Triton

Btw, Rays already up 3-0 on the Red Sox, Boston would be six back (already) with a loss.

Edited by caulfield12

A Salt Lake City consortium led by the former owner of the Utah Jazz plans to pursue a Major League Baseball franchise in the coming years, touting the area's population growth, strong economy and baseball history as draws for a coveted expansion slot, people involved with the project told ESPN.

Big League Utah, a group headed by longtime Jazz owner Gail Miller, will join Nashville's Music City Baseball and the Portland Diamond Project in lobbying to join the current 30 MLB organizations. Las Vegas, considered a prime destination for a franchise, has emerged as a strong candidate if the Oakland Athletics relocate.

While sources said MLB does not plan to expand until it figures out the futures of Oakland and the Tampa Bay Rays -- both of whom have considered moving amid struggles to secure new stadiums in their current metropolitan areas -- commissioner Rob Manfred told ESPN in July: "I would love to get to 32 teams."

The Salt Lake City coalition includes the Larry H. Miller Company -- the conglomerate founded by Miller's late husband, Larry, an automobile magnate -- as well as local business leaders and former major league players Dale Murphy and Jeremy Guthrie, both Utah residents. The group has targeted building a stadium in the Rocky Mountain Power District, a 100-acre mixed-use zone located between Salt Lake City's new airport and its downtown core, an investment that would come on top of an expected $2 billion expansion fee.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/36169718/salt-lake-city-group-joins-mlb-expansion-chase

Starks said the group surveyed local fans about their favorite sports leagues for potential expansion and that MLB was the top choice, ahead of even the NFL.

So it's Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, Portland and Nashville.

Definitely need either Nashville/Charlotte/Montreal to balance out the westward expansion.

Edited by caulfield12

35 minutes ago, flavum said:

13-0

1982 Braves, 1987 Brewers, 2023 Rays

Rasmussen vs Berrios in Toronto tomorrow night 

A blunt reminder of MLB's "marathon, not a sprint" nature.

• The '82 Braves won less than 90 games, did make the playoffs but lost in the NLCS.
  • The '87 Brewers won 91 games but missed the playoffs.

That being said, the Rays are beasts and should also switch back to the Devil Rays uniforms.