2023: MLB news not AL Central-related

caulfield12

On 4/20/2023 at 6:32 AM, whitesoxfan99 said:

Oakland purchase land in Las Vegas. Looks like the A’s will be following the Raiders to Vegas

It looks like the land is about a mile west of NYNY and not far from the big In-N-Out burger.   They still need to figure out how to pay for the new stadium but it sounds like pretty much a done deal.    Will be fun seeing the Sox play in LV.

Edited by RichieZisk

https://m.lasvegassun.com/news/2023/apr/19/oakland-as-agree-to-buy-land-for-stadium-in-las-ve/

2027 would be their (proposed) first season in Vegas. 

Four long years to go. 

Now they have to deal with two more expansion teams. 

Rays and Marlins probably the two biggest headaches for baseball...seems for the moment KC Cincy and Pittsburgh are barely hanging in there. 

Cincy and KC are great baseball cities when their teams are winning/competitive, and do quite well in terms of local TV ratings in those smaller markets. 

Reynolds and the Pirates reached agreement Tuesday on an eight-year, $106.75 million contract extension, Jason Mackey of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette reports.

Advice: There is also a ninth-year club option for 2031 that is worth $20 million with a $2 million buyout. Reynolds did not receive the opt-out clause that he had reportedly been seeking, but the deal does include some form of no-trade protection -- Mark Feinsand of MLB.com hears that Reynolds will be allowed to block a trade to six different organizations. All in all, it seems like a fairly team-friendly long-term pact for a player who has been consistently excellent since his arrival in the majors in 2019. Through his first 22 games this season, the 28-year-old outfielder carries an .872 OPS with five home runs, 18 RBI, three stolen bases and 13 runs scored.

Maddon predicts Ohtani now much more willing to leave West Coast

"Ohtani's former manager went on to say that the Japanese-born superstar may be more willing to leave the West Coast than he was when he first came to MLB.

"And a part of that, I believe – and I don't have any inside information about this – is that when he first came here he said, pretty much that, he wanted to stay on the West Coast because Japan, it was new to him, everything was new," Maddon added. "I think the guy's been Americanized, he's kind of like captured the hearts of pretty much everybody in this country. I think right now you can go anywhere to play baseball and feel good about it, I do. He's adaptable anywhere right now. That opens up everything. Including Canada, I mean, he'll go anywhere I think now to play baseball. There's gonna be a lotta suitors."