Time to give this Sox team a chance

VAfan

after listening to the latest Sox machine episode, my pessimism has only grown lol

Imo Houston is gonna make easy work of this team as currently constructed

Maybe if our bench was legit and Liam/Garrett were available and healthy, it would be more competitive 

Edited by joejoesox
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I understand what you are saying and you are correct but that chart means nothing.  You go to Ticketmaster and pick a section and a seat and you see the price.  If you don't like it pick a different seat in a different section or find a new game that has that seat at a lower price.  This is why they can charge a different price for every seat and every game.

I'm sure the 1985 version of Soxtalk went insane when the Golden boxes were invented as an increase over box seats. 

If the consumer does not know by now, the better the game the more expensive it will be. 

The parking prices going up even after last year is the kind of thing that's even more noticeable going in and out and tends to leave a bitter taste...much more so than tickets concessions and souvenir prices.

Then you have all the additional fees associated with TM...but that's an argument for another day.

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Still think Romy Gonzalez needs to be playing everyday at Charlotte.

With Burger, just have a feeling they're waiting on the inevitable first Moncada IL trip to burn his last option/recall.

They should've brought Burger up instead of sheets imo. Both can't field worth a damn, but Burger is a better hitter albeit RH.

either way you're bringing up a bench guy who cannot field worth a damn. again, not a serious organization. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

They should've brought Burger up instead of sheets imo. Both can't field worth a damn, but Burger is a better hitter albeit RH.

either way you're bringing up a bench guy who cannot field worth a damn. again, not a serious organization. 

Better than peak Palka lol?

We shall see.

43 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

With Burger, just have a feeling they're waiting on the inevitable first Moncada IL trip to burn his last option/recall.

Don’t you burn the option by sending him down?

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Thanks 1

I always give us a chance and will do the same with this team as I think we will be way better than people are thinking we will be.If all goes well on the injury front, I have us getting  at least 90 wins and taking the division.

Got my print edition of Sports Illustrated this afternoon in the mail. It is the baseball preview.

They aren't high on the Sox giving them 76 wins and calling out everything they didn't do this past off season. In the same issue there is a long feature story on the Padres explaining how they are able to spend the money they are for a "small market" team and asking the question with baseball making so much money, why won't other teams do the same. 

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

That's....not how options work.  

• Like 3

I am capable of turning on the team quickly. But I will give the new manager a chance. And I see Moncada has blasted a couple homers going oppo field. I'm hopeful he will wake up n be stellar. Elvis excites me way more than that stiff we had from the Pirates at 2B. Elvis gives off a vibe he actually wants to win and contribute to wins (not that the former Pirate didn't want to win; he just stunk IMO).

I am excited for the start of the year. I almost feel my guy, Jose, has retired so out of sight out of mind. I'm not worried bout Jose. And it is good Leury is gone cause so many fans on here depised him in the lineup.

Not sure if there will be somebody to pick on mercilessly. I do fear it'll be Sheets if he plays at all. Or Vaughn. Give them a chance. It's not easy to play sporadically.

I don't think it'll be Grandal. Some of the guys Sox acquired for the tank/rebuild are still accepted as good hitters cause the rebuild was exciting to so many (not me). So we shall see. I for one have positive feelings w/Tony baby gone and Pedro in.

Edited by greg775

10 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

The parking prices going up even after last year is the kind of thing that's even more noticeable going in and out and tends to leave a bitter taste...much more so than tickets concessions and souvenir prices.

Then you have all the additional fees associated with TM...but that's an argument for another day.

How much is a can of brewski on opening day? Pls let us know.

4 hours ago, greg775 said:

I am capable of turning on the team quickly. But I will give the new manager a chance. And I see Moncada has blasted a couple homers going oppo field. I'm hopeful he will wake up n be stellar. Elvis excites me way more than that stiff we had from the Pirates at 2B. Elvis gives off a vibe he actually wants to win and contribute to wins (not that the former Pirate didn't want to win; he just stunk IMO).

I am excited for the start of the year. I almost feel my guy, Jose, has retired so out of sight out of mind. I'm not worried bout Jose. And it is good Leury is gone cause so many fans on here depised him in the lineup.

Not sure if there will be somebody to pick on mercilessly. I do fear it'll be Sheets if he plays at all. Or Vaughn. Give them a chance. It's not easy to play sporadically.

I don't think it'll be Grandal. Some of the guys Sox acquired for the tank/rebuild are still accepted as good hitters cause the rebuild was exciting to so many (not me). So we shall see. I for one have positive feelings w/Tony baby gone and Pedro in.

Are you talking about Cesar Hernandez from the Indians/Guardians the second half of 2021 ???

Burger has one option remaining

"While there’s no need to move on from Burger, especially given the amount of time and resources invested in the former No. 11 overall pick, a trade probably should be explored. The 40-man roster needs better defenders, and Burger is decidedly not that. While his bat is a plus, it’s a bit of a redundancy in Chicago’s righty-heavy lineup, and his injury struggles are another issue the White Sox don’t need to be doubling down on. If he can help bring in a plus defender and/or a left-handed hitter who’s getting squeezed off of another roster, it’s worth looking into. The White Sox should be combing all of baseball for Triple-A players and young bench guys who could use a change of scenery, competent backups with the slightest chance of being something more."

Southsidesox.com

As always the chance of your team involves the chances of your competition.

1. Maybe it's Cleveland's turn for the injury bug. If their pitching staff ( both bullpen and starters) put people on the dl they are in a world of trouble. I see Mckenzie is already down. Can Kwan repeat or sophomore jinx?  For that matter Francona has had health issues too. They played over their heads last year, and beat up on weak and injured division opponents. May they rot in hell this season.

2.Tigers don't know which way is up

3.Royals may be better than expected but not in it for the long haul of 162.

4.  Twins were decimated with injuries last year. They did not do much to improve over the off season. They have a solid team. Dangerous. Maybe weak in the pitching department, but if Buxton stays healthy and the shift rules improve Gallo they should be very tough.

5. Everyone on this site knows the Sox as well or better than I do so no review required. I'll just say if LaRussa was the problem he is gone. If the injury jinx passes the Sox over, the White Sox should compete for the division at least.

I was highly optimistic after reading reports of a red hot Moncada in the WBC, only to be let down once again when I read today he might not be ready for opening day.

Not gonna ride this roller-coaster again and I will go back to having zero expectations that this team will win the division.

Edited by A-Train to 35th
sp

17 hours ago, joejoesox said:

after listening to the latest Sox machine episode, my pessimism has only grown lol

Imo Houston is gonna make easy work of this team as currently constructed

Maybe if our bench was legit and Liam/Garrett were available and healthy, it would be more competitive 

F Sox Machine. There's only one reason why they get time on 670 The Score,  because they are boring and dwell on all the bad things. Like in that podcast. The only comments they put up all basically questioned final bench pieces. Well duhhh. There was no way to please everyone regarding the bench. Not enough decent hitters who could also field. Romy and Seby maybe and no one believed in Seby s defense or offense a year ago.

Romy looks like he can play the OF. We don't have much of a sample to know but he's fast and athletic . He has power .Might as well have some power on the bench. If you are going to only get sporadic starts and PH, HRs will do more damage than any other hit.

Alberto won a spot. Why play games if u can't win a spot by performing well or lose a spot by performing poorly . 3 of the 4 bench players are RH. Sheets or Haseley. That was your choice for a LH bench piece. They chose power and a guy with MLB credentials rather than the guy they released last year.

Sure people wanted Burger ( all hit no glove) or Hamilton ( speed and D no bat at all ). Reading the tea leaves here wasn't that hard. The Romy hype train was rolling since early in the off season. He started spring bad . We heard he was hurt, disappeared then came out of nowhere and smacked 5 HRs.

I like James Fox. He's a Sox fan and has some celebrity for being a level headed expert but close to crunch time he still got half the bench wrong and we all knew Seby was a lock so essentially he got 2 of the 3 others wrong. Many said Leury was a lock and they were shocked the Sox ate the money. Really ? Didn't the Sox eat  more money with Keuchel ? The bench is basically built for as much power as possible to make big impact in a small amount of time . It's not meant for late inning defense or pinch running . Really how much better was Hamilton than Romy in those areas ? Burger is Romy without the speed and defensive versatility. Seby, Romy and Alberto seemed like the easier picks to make once Romy started blasting HRs. Alberto started hot and stayed hot the whole way and did fine defensively. 

"While there’s no need to move on from Burger, especially given the amount of time and resources invested in the former No. 11 overall pick, a trade probably should be explored. The 40-man roster needs better defenders, and Burger is decidedly not that. While his bat is a plus, it’s a bit of a redundancy in Chicago’s righty-heavy lineup, and his injury struggles are another issue the White Sox don’t need to be doubling down on. If he can help bring in a plus defender and/or a left-handed hitter who’s getting squeezed off of another roster, it’s worth looking into. The White Sox should be combing all of baseball for Triple-A players and young bench guys who could use a change of scenery, competent backups with the slightest chance of being something more."

Southsidesox.com

That's what I was doing early in the off season, combing AAA guys. I'm glad James Outman made the Dodgers opening day roster .

Southsidesox.com

Correct.  And that final option will be used in 2 days when he's sent to Charlotte.  Not when he's recalled later this season.  1 option is good for the whole season. 

• Thanks 1