Time to give this Sox team a chance

VAfan

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Burger has one option remaining

"While there’s no need to move on from Burger, especially given the amount of time and resources invested in the former No. 11 overall pick, a trade probably should be explored. The 40-man roster needs better defenders, and Burger is decidedly not that. While his bat is a plus, it’s a bit of a redundancy in Chicago’s righty-heavy lineup, and his injury struggles are another issue the White Sox don’t need to be doubling down on. If he can help bring in a plus defender and/or a left-handed hitter who’s getting squeezed off of another roster, it’s worth looking into. The White Sox should be combing all of baseball for Triple-A players and young bench guys who could use a change of scenery, competent backups with the slightest chance of being something more."

Southsidesox.com

Quoting SSS here provides no real relevant info.  No one is disputing that Burger has an option remaining.  What you fail to or refuse to understand is that said option is used when he gets sent to Charlotte, not the other way around.  Burger would have to make the 26 man roster for that option not to be used.  Once the option is used, he can be recalled at any time, for up to 3 times this season.  He could stay in AAA all year and no matter what the option is still used.  Waiting for an “inevitable” Mondada injury would require use of a limited bench spot to keep Burger with the big club while he rode the pine instead of getting AAA ABs everyday.  That would be a horrible usage.  Burger is likely a AAAA guy so trying to save his last remaining option really isn’t that big of a deal.  Every team has guys like Burger and Sheets, which is why they have no trade value and are still in the org to begin with.  This really isn’t difficult to understand. 

• Like 2

Based on the number of tickets available through the Sox in prime seating areas it appears their season ticket base has crashed.

Confusing or not the new pricing strategy appears to be higher than last year for most seats.

Not a lot of tickets on Stubhub which makes me believe advance sales are s%*# as well.

Whoever decided to raise ticket prices for all seats season ticket or individual along with raising parking needs to be reassigned.  They were oblivious to last season and the fan base.  No way they make up the lost revenue from empty seats and associated concession and parking revenue through the higher prices.

My worry is that the inevitable lousy attendance will be an excuse for the team to not add on in July if they are in the race and they will blame the fans as usual, when their lousy marketing decisions are to blame.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Quoting SSS here provides no real relevant info.  No one is disputing that Burger has an option remaining.  What you fail to or refuse to understand is that said option is used when he gets sent to Charlotte, not the other way around.  Burger would have to make the 26 man roster for that option not to be used.  Once the option is used, he can be recalled at any time, for up to 3 times this season.  He could stay in AAA all year and no matter what the option is still used.  Waiting for an “inevitable” Mondada injury would require use of a limited bench spot to keep Burger with the big club while he rode the pine instead of getting AAA ABs everyday.  That would be a horrible usage.  Burger is likely a AAAA guy so trying to save his last remaining option really isn’t that big of a deal.  Every team has guys like Burger and Sheets, which is why they have no trade value and are still in the org to begin with.  This really isn’t difficult to understand. 

Well that's how we ended up with Damaso Marte.

It turned out to be a pretty big deal eventually...the Pirates decided he wasn't going to make their team and decided to trade him instead.

And I remember pages and pages needlessly devoted to Micker Adolfo over a year or so ago.

Perhaps the same case with Zavala if his magic act disappears again this year and they want to go with Carlos Perez instead for arm/defense.

Edited by caulfield12

9 hours ago, ThirdGen said:

Confusing or not the new pricing strategy appears to be higher than last year for most seats.

Not a lot of tickets on Stubhub which makes me believe advance sales are s%*# as well.

Whoever decided to raise ticket prices for all seats season ticket or individual along with raising parking needs to be reassigned.  They were oblivious to last season and the fan base.  No way they make up the lost revenue from empty seats and associated concession and parking revenue through the higher prices.

My worry is that the inevitable lousy attendance will be an excuse for the team to not add on in July if they are in the race and they will blame the fans as usual, when their lousy marketing decisions are to blame.

What do you mean?  I applaud my capitalist overlords' ingenuity in price-gouging me with such efficiency and precision.  I look forward to a future when technology will allow the ballpark to monitor my dopamine levels and offset each unit of increased happiness with accompanying price increases for my seating and concessions.  It is their natural right to separate me from as much of my money as their creativity and innovation will allow!

Edited by 35thstreetswarm
  • Haha 1

Folks ... Oscar Colas is the Sox's Tatis. How long before Colas-mania takes the SouthSide by storm? This guy is just what the Sox need. Plant him in RF and give him his 580 at bats. What do the Sox have to lose?? Play the guy and let's see if Oscar and Pedro are the new look White Sox.

This guy has the potential of bringing back the Sox diehards. Let.Him.Mash.

Sincerely,

A rabid fan who wants postseason baseball in Chicago.

p.s. If for some reason Oscar fails don't blame experience. The guy is 24 for gosh sakes. Let him hit, baby.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1

Grifol has me excited.  I really think the White Sox got their version of Mikel Arteta.  Someone who is a perfectionist and will demand excellence and really create his own team culture.  For anyone who is a soccer fan, they are probably familiar with Arteta's demanding style.  From what I gather, Grifol has this as well.  Like Arteta, Grifol isn't afraid to get rid of once thought of untouchable players if they aren't getting with the program.  We'll see but I think this hire is reason enough to be excited for this season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

Grifol has me excited.  I really think the White Sox got their version of Mikel Arteta.  Someone who is a perfectionist and will demand excellence and really create his own team culture.  For anyone who is a soccer fan, they are probably familiar with Arteta's demanding style.  From what I gather, Grifol has this as well.  Like Arteta, Grifol isn't afraid to get rid of once thought of untouchable players if they aren't getting with the program.  We'll see but I think this hire is reason enough to be excited for this season.

If only we had Arsenal's depth. We'd need some major contributions from guys we do not expect it from if we end up with Arsenal's injury luck this year. They lost Gabriel Jesus and it didn't really hurt their results. Can we do the same if we lose a top 3 position player or pitcher for an extended period of time? 

7 minutes ago, chw42 said:

If only we had Arsenal's depth. We'd need some major contributions from guys we do not expect it from if we end up with Arsenal's injury luck this year. They lost Gabriel Jesus and it didn't really hurt their results. Can we do the same if we lose a top 3 position player or pitcher for an extended period of time? 

I think their activity at the transfer deadline helped.  But I do think the depth on this team equivocal to the 21 Sox who lost three top position players for an extended period of time.

On 3/28/2023 at 9:00 AM, Tnetennba said:

Rosters should be big enough to allow having a RH  bat like Burger on the bench. 

On 3/28/2023 at 9:15 AM, ThirdGen said:

Based on the number of tickets available through the Sox in prime seating areas it appears their season ticket base has crashed.

My season tickets did not go up much and parking is still at a discount with season tickets. 

Attendance is the only unknown variable when it comes to the team revenue. Everything else is set prior to the season. Depending on how much of the budget Hahn spends during the season, they can only add salary if there is a higher than expected attendance thus a higher than expected budget. 

You can argue the reason for the increase or decrease in attendance but the budget is the budget. 

It will awalus come down to winning with Sox fans. If the team is winning, they will show up. If the team is losing they won't show up and will find anything to complain about. 

Edited by ptatc

On 3/26/2023 at 11:40 PM, VAfan said:

I've gone from Mr. Optimism when this board was all negative, to Mr. Pessimism last year when I thought the team was unwatchable.  It wasn't just Tony LaRussa either.  None of the everyday hitters except Jose Abreu actually came to work everyday and played above average.  Not a single one.  

But it's a new year, with a new manager and some new coaches, some new players, and no more Leury Garcia to whine about.  

I'm not going to sit here and project anything for the team.  I have no idea if they will

1. Stay healthy
2. Play good defense
3. Stop chasing bad pitches
4. Become a HR team again (like 2020)
5. Pitch well

But they might.  

I think the team has enough talent to win if they stay healthy and perform like they are capable of.  They could also continue to get hurt too easily and too often, fall into bad habits, and lose. 

Here are the things I've liked this offseason.

1. Pedro Grifol as manager.  Who had heard of him?  Seems to say all the right things.  We'll see how it plays out.

2. Benintendi addition.  I think he will hit more HRs for the Sox than he has recently.  Lefty.  Good outfielder.  On base guy.  Maybe that will rub off on some others.

3. Yoan Moncada looking good at WBC.  This guy was once the #1 prospect in baseball.  Imagine the 2019 version of Moncada and what that could do for this offense.

4. Jose Castro as hitting coach.  The Sox somehow morphed from the team that led the AL in HRs in the short covid season 2020 to a bottom dwelling singles hitting team last year. The Sox have plenty of players who can mash if they stay healthy.  They need to do it.  Grifol also has a role here. 

5. Yasmani Grandal being healthy, and not facing the shift.  Grandal went from the Sox best hitter in 2021 to one of its worst hitters in 2022.  He's in a walk year on his contract. He should be motivated and ready to mash again.  

6. Cutting Leury Garcia.  Sends the right message.  The team is better offensively and defensively without him. 

7. Oscar Colas.  Who knows how quickly he'll produce and fix his inevitable mistakes.  But the Sox finally have a legitimate right fielder offensively and defensively, who is also a lefty. 

8. Andrew Vaughn at 1B, not the OF.  Should help him offensively, keep him healthier, and will vastly improve the Sox' outfield defense without him out there.  He's not likely to ever be peak Abreu, but he might have years above Abreu's 134 OPS+ average. 

9. Another reset for Lucas Giolito.  As the middle guy in the Sox' rotation, the Sox need him to be his best version, not his worst.  He ought to be motivated for contract reasons to do well. He's looked good so far. We'll see if it holds up.

10. Reynaldo Lopez out of the pen.  I think Lopez will get a lot of closing opportunities with Hendriks out.  And I think he will do well.  

11. Garrett Crochet and Liam Hendriks should be back during the year.  When they are, the pen might be great.  

12. Lance Lynn healthy.  He was a workhorse for several years before coming to the Sox.  As the #2 guy, the Sox need him to stay solild. 

13. Luis Robert healthy.  He shouldn't be this far down the list.  He is the best player the Sox have.  He needs to play like it.  

There's my lucky 13. 

It will be interesting how the new bags and the lack of the shift will affect the Sox.  In the past, we would expect other teams to take advantage of these changes more than the Sox.  But Grifol and the way he thinks might change that.  The Sox certainly have players who can steal.  And they have some lefties who should benefit from the lack of a shift.  They also have two shortstops on the infield to give them range. 

The pitch clock might also be interesting.  Eloy always steps out and adjusts his gloves.  We'll have to see how the new rules affect him and others. 

I hope the Sox win me back this year.  I'm going to give them a chance. 

200w.gif

On 3/27/2023 at 1:11 PM, The Grinder said:

The optimistic side of me says 99 or even 100 wins

The pessimistic sides says 75 wins

The realistic side says split the wins at 87

Shallow group of starters. Even if you like them, use the realistic projections. The Sox need some young arms that can step in, these guys don’t have the outward appearance of an iron staff. My worst nightmare is considering what the Sox are gonna be giving up at the deadline trying to keep the season  going at all costs

Edited by Chick Mercedes