Hawk did not retire

Soxfest

Long-time #WhiteSox broadcaster Hawk Harrelson was interviewed on Foul Territory Tuesday by Scott Braun and AJ Pierzynski, and he had some strong words about his former team.

When discussing his departure from the White Sox after the 2018 season, Harrelson said he “didn’t retire, he got retired” by the team.

Today, on AJ Pierzynski’s podcast, legendary White Sox Broadcaster Hawk Harrelson has revealed that he agrees with the fans. When asked about if Jerry should sell the club, Hawk responded “up until a couple of years now, I would have said no, now I would say yes.”

Edited by Soxfest
  • Thanks 1
  • Hawk 1

8 minutes ago, Soxfest said:

Long-time #WhiteSox broadcaster Hawk Harrelson was interviewed on Foul Territory Tuesday by Scott Braun and AJ Pierzynski, and he had some strong words about his former team.

When discussing his departure from the White Sox after the 2018 season, Harrelson said he “didn’t retire, he got retired” by the team.

That's a shame. But didn't Hawk get to the point he couldn't make a home run call? He couldn't see the ball anymore? Maybe they could have worked on that with special glasses. Too bad if the team axed him.

• Hawk 1

19 minutes ago, greg775 said:

That's a shame. But didn't Hawk get to the point he couldn't make a home run call? He couldn't see the ball anymore? Maybe they could have worked on that with special glasses. Too bad if the team axed him.

He definitely couldn’t judge whether the ball was going to be a routine fly out and a ball leaving the park. As much as I miss hearing his calls it was time to call it a career.

Sorry Hawk, it was time.  It was actually past time.  You were great, until you weren’t.  They did you and everyone a favor.  I appreciate that you went out magnanimously and didn’t make a fuss, but the interview sounded like a lot of sour grapes to me.  It’s too bad that you’re crotchety and bitter about it, but it was for the best. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

He definitely couldn’t judge whether the ball was going to be a routine fly out and a ball leaving the park. As much as I miss hearing his calls it was time to call it a career.

That sounds like 68% of the people at most games.  Watch the outfielders people :cool:

• Like 1

He should've retired like 5 years earlier than he did, listening to his calls of games was a chore. He was the soundtrack of my summers growing up and I'll always appreciate him for that,  but he just sounded like a cranky and bitter guy when discussing that, although I do agree with him that Jerry should sell :).

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

He should've retired like 5 years earlier than he did, listening to his calls of games was a chore. He was the soundtrack of my summers growing up and I'll always appreciate him for that,  but he just sounded like a cranky and bitter guy when discussing that, although I do agree with him that Jerry should sell :).

He was the voice of the Sox for my entire fandom from when I fell in love with the team until he retired.  I loved Hawk, but you sum it up well, his last few years it was a chore watching the games he called.  It was a sad decline and he should have retired sooner than he did.  It’s unfortunate that our most recent memory of his calls were such a sound bite driven self parody.  He shaped my fandom like few others, but it was time. 

• Like 1
  • Hawk 1

53 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

Benetti still can't do that and he's 40 years younger. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Love 1
  • Hawk 1

Hawk didn’t go into specifics but does seem to not be a fan of Brooks Boyer. Said JR used to be a man of his word but that all changed when Brooks came in. Also said he thinks JR should sell the team. At the end, on a sadder note, said Carlton Fisk is not in good shape health wise.

• Fire 1

21 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Hawk didn’t go into specifics but does seem to not be a fan of Brooks Boyer. Said JR used to be a man of his word but that all changed when Brooks came in. Also said he thinks JR should sell the team. At the end, on a sadder note, said Carlton Fisk is not in good shape health wise.

I listened too. (starts 48 minutes in) 

Some of it was same old Hawk, but it was pretty good. I hope he didn’t speak out of turn on the Fisk update. 

It's a shame when people don't know when their time is done and need to be forced out

Even worse when the same people then take it out on the ones who have to do the dirty work.

Like Harry Caray Hawk was a very good announcer who became a caricature of himself over time.

As bad as last season was I can't imagine how miserable he would have been to listen to calling it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, flavum said:

I listened too. (starts 48 minutes in) 

Some of it was same old Hawk, but it was pretty good. I hope he didn’t speak out of turn on the Fisk update. 

If Fisk wanted to release info about his health I doubt he would choose Hawk to be the messenger.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Dick: I can tell you a number of folks inside and outside the organization are wondering what is going on with Brooks. 

Just some extracts from my November story "State of the Sox" :

“People, his friends… have tried to tell him (JR) what has been going on, “Hawk” Harrelson, the late Ed Farmer… God rest his soul, Darrin Jackson, Scott Reifert (Author’s Note: Scott is the Senior Vice-President for Communications) , Bob Grim and others but it’s just not registering for some reason.”

“JR has become oblivious to things and what he’s allowed to happen is sad. He’s probably the most successful owner in Chicago sports history given the Bulls titles and the White Sox one which is dear to his heart, but what has happened the last two years is just sad. He is out-of-touch. And even worse he’s inaccessible. He’s either afraid of having to answer questions or he’s incapable of doing so.”

“Things started to change when Howard Pizer (Author’s Note: Pizer is the Senior Executive Vice-President) was told that he’d no longer be in charge of everyone, that some folks would no longer have to answer to him. That opened the door and some people are trying to get themselves into position to become a team president. Folks aren’t telling JR everything; in some cases they are lying to him.”

“Howard Pizer was the only guy who could tell JR ‘no’ and stop something. If people are angling to try to become a vice-president or president that’s just embarrassing.”

“I know the friction in the front office just wore Bob Grim down.” (Author’s Note: Grim retired after 30 years with the organization. He was the Senior Director of Business Development and Broadcasting)

And remember the comments Jason Benetti made about his latest contract situation which comes under Brooks' authority. 

Edited by Lip Man 1