Hawk did not retire

Soxfest

2 minutes ago, flavum said:

This channel has been adding a lot of 90s Sox games. Hawk was damn good until he turned about 65. Here’s one from 2000. Buehrle throwing about 5 innings of relief-

That lineup!😍

Really thought the WS was ours that season.

He should have been allowed to die in the booth. He was the man. A true legend who I miss calling Sox games. A true fan of the team and one of the last announcers who felt like they were literally part of your family given how long you listened to them call games over the years. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Hes the goat. f*** the haters.

Zero hate.  He was great.  Genuinely great, passionate, and memorable.  But by the end he was bad.  I say it with no ill will.  I still love the Hawk of old, but it was time for him to go well before he finally did.  It's just reality.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

He should have been allowed to die in the booth. He was the man. A true legend who I miss calling Sox games. A true fan of the team and one of the last announcers who felt like they were literally part of your family given how long you listened to them call games over the years. 

Trauma is a White Sox tradition, I guess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Benetti’s homer calls are not much better either. The way he forces the home run yell high volume and over pronounces consonants at the ends if words. 

Just don't understand the JB hate from some/many here.

The guy is a very good broadcaster. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Dick: I can tell you a number of folks inside and outside the organization are wondering what is going on with Brooks. 

Just some extracts from my November story "State of the Sox" :

“People, his friends… have tried to tell him (JR) what has been going on, “Hawk” Harrelson, the late Ed Farmer… God rest his soul, Darrin Jackson, Scott Reifert (Author’s Note: Scott is the Senior Vice-President for Communications) , Bob Grim and others but it’s just not registering for some reason.”

“JR has become oblivious to things and what he’s allowed to happen is sad. He’s probably the most successful owner in Chicago sports history given the Bulls titles and the White Sox one which is dear to his heart, but what has happened the last two years is just sad. He is out-of-touch. And even worse he’s inaccessible. He’s either afraid of having to answer questions or he’s incapable of doing so.”

“Things started to change when Howard Pizer (Author’s Note: Pizer is the Senior Executive Vice-President) was told that he’d no longer be in charge of everyone, that some folks would no longer have to answer to him. That opened the door and some people are trying to get themselves into position to become a team president. Folks aren’t telling JR everything; in some cases they are lying to him.”

“Howard Pizer was the only guy who could tell JR ‘no’ and stop something. If people are angling to try to become a vice-president or president that’s just embarrassing.”

“I know the friction in the front office just wore Bob Grim down.” (Author’s Note: Grim retired after 30 years with the organization. He was the Senior Director of Business Development and Broadcasting)

And remember the comments Jason Benetti made about his latest contract situation which comes under Brooks' authority. 

I hope it's just a personality clash and Brooks doesn't have a big head . It's been many years, but I've had 2 interactions with him. He didn't owe me the time of day, but he was terrific. Very friendly and funny and spoke to me like I was someone very important. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, soxrwhite said:

Hawk was never an objective broadcaster. He was the ultimate homer. I loved that about him. Even he is now crappin on the Sox? Something has gone sour in this organization.

I get so giddy thinking about what this organization could be with fresh eyes, fresh ideas, and a hunger for winning. I am speaking directly about an entirely new ownership and front office. I have hope and optimism for this season, but man, long-term, imagine what this team could be with an entirely new regime.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I loved how much hawk loved the sox, he was like me. 

That said, at the end the innings of silence when the team was going bad made the bad feel so much worse. That's where hawk lost me. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Hawk was one of the main reasons I became a Sox fan. Growing up listening to his calls were so contagious. The GOAT, he made watching the games so easy. Even with how good Jason is he cannot touch what Hawk brought to this team. 

• Like 1

Hawk was an egomaniac and narcissist.  How could a person come back to work for a team after destroying an organization. In the early 80's the depth of baseball knowledge in that  organization was absolutely insane.  Hawk blew that up and yet JR hired him back.

That being said he was a great announcer up until the final few years.  

I was at a fundraiser where he was last year and he did not seem very healthy or coherent.  He was not broadcasting at the end like Vin Scully and his time had come.

My guess is he was pushed out by Brooks.  JR and Hawk seemed to be pals from way back and now Hawk is pinning his ending on Brooks and it's warping his view of the organization.

Hawk and AJ are very tight.  If Hawk's beliefs were grounded in rationale thoughts, I am not certain AJ would still as involved with the White Sox.  Pretty sure AJ replaces Stone when the time comes.

When it comes to the White Sox and JR and KW, there seems to be void at the top similar to the Bears until recently.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, flavum said:

This channel has been adding a lot of 90s Sox games. Hawk was damn good until he turned about 65. Here’s one from 2000. Buehrle throwing about 5 innings of relief-

When I was a kid in the 90s without cable, flipping on WGN and seeing that intro always made me psyched.

• Like 2

Heard from a source this morning who spoke with Hawk before he went on the podcast. Hawk told them he was going to talk about the state of the Sox and how Brooks has ruined the organization and JR. This individual then spoke with Hawk afterwards and Hawk told them he actually wanted to say more but is saving it for his next book. 

This person told me Hawk is really pissed off at Brooks, JR and the organization.

I've always been treated well by Brooks myself but something has obviously changed since I've been told by multiple sources that he is causing a lot of problems and issues right now.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/hawk-harrelson-reveals-he-got-fired-not-retired-ryan/id1674957140?i=1000606353148

Edited by Lip Man 1

15 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

That’s funny because when he retired I remember him saying he was glad to be done with the 6-8 hour commute for home games 

I think it was 2 hours. 6-8 he would be living in Ohio

11 hours ago, 2Deep said:

Just don't understand the JB hate from some/many here.

The guy is a very good broadcaster. 

I think Jason is an above average but not great baseball announcer. His best sport is football. He's fantastic on football games. Before FOX signed him I was really hoping he'd be Mike Tirico's replacement for ND games.

10 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Lol at the idea that the reason the org sucks is because of the CMO. 

He probably has more of JR's ear than a normal marketing guy. He is on the BOD and was a co-founder of JR's Silver Chalise VC company. I think it's done pretty well. But, I don't know how you blame him for RH and KW performance the last couple of seasons. 

Edited by Dick Allen