Benintendi, Suzuki, Yoshida

caulfield12

Which contract would you most desire if you could choose any ONE of the three for White Sox OD 2023? 

Who will produce the most fWAR from now until the end of their big league careers and why?

Seiya Suzuki  5/$85 million  age 28-29

Masataka Yoshida  5/$90 million  age 29-30

Andrew Benintendi  5/$75 million  age 28-29 

As much as I’d absolutely love the Sox to end up with an NPB star at some point, the a white Sox specifically needed a left-handed outfielder who can actually play the field, and that’s what Benintendi is. 

Yoshida is a lefty and is by far the best hitter, but he’s a borderline DH. I think the Red Sox evaluated the opportunity to minimize that impact well in their weird, short LF. But the White Sox literally played two first basemen in the OF and their good CF is injury prone. They needed a dude who can cover some ground.

Suzuki has the most upside of the group, but he comes with the most risk and is right-handed. The handedness is the least important piece, though. I also think he is the style of personality/has a track record of managing his own improvement, which is the only type of positional talent that ever finds a way to succeed in the Sox organization. But he still probably wouldn’t become as good with this org as he would with an average one, so it’s hard to make the case the Sox won’t get more out of benintendi. 

As an NPB stan, it pains me. But I think the Sox got the right guy for their needs, even though both the others may play better where they are. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eminor3rd said:

As much as I’d absolutely love the Sox to end up with an NPB star at some point, the a white Sox specifically needed a left-handed outfielder who can actually play the field, and that’s what Benintendi is. 

Yoshida is a lefty and is by far the best hitter, but he’s a borderline DH. I think the Red Sox evaluated the opportunity to minimize that impact well in their weird, short LF. But the White Sox literally played two first basemen in the OF and their good CF is injury prone. They needed a dude who can cover some ground.

Suzuki has the most upside of the group, but he comes with the most risk and is right-handed. The handedness is the least important piece, though. I also think he is the style of personality/has a track record of managing his own improvement, which is the only type of positional talent that ever finds a way to succeed in the Sox organization. But he still probably wouldn’t become as good with this org as he would with an average one, so it’s hard to make the case the Sox won’t get more out of benintendi. 

As an NPB stan, it pains me. But I think the Sox got the right guy for their needs, even though both the others may play better where they are. 

I thought Kondoh was really impressive and would be the perfect 4th outfielder for a contender.

Yamada it's now a couple of years past his prime...not unlike Iguchi when he came over after KW watched his scouting tape lol.

Wish they would at least go out on a limb and try a reliever from Japan or Korea at least.

Will actually be in Japan July 1st through the 12th.  Want to see at least one game at the Tokyo Dome...the Ichiro Suzuki museum in Nagoya if still operated by his parents (Japanese website dead) and it would be really cool to see the new Hokkaido stadium but just won't have enough time to go to multiple cities other than Nagoya and to see the new Studio Ghibli Amusement park located nearby.

Masataka Yoshida, LF

2022 stats: .336/.449/.559, 21 HR, 89 RBI (121 games with Orix Buffaloes of Nippon Professional Baseball league)

Yoshida is one of the biggest enigmas in baseball heading into the new campaign. His numbers in Japan make him extremely intriguing, but five years and $ 90 million is a risky bet on a 29-year-old who has never played Major League Baseball. Will the contact skills translate? Can he play a solid left field or is he best served as a DH?

If Yoshida can perform at a level even close to how he played in Japan, he'll be a huge part of Boston's success in 2023. If he struggles, expect the Red Sox front office to be under even more scrutiny.

Best-case scenario for 2023: Yoshida's sensational bat-to-ball skills translate to the major leagues and he lives up to Fangraph's lofty projections, which have him finishing the season with a .867 OPS.

Worst-case scenario for 2023: MLB talent evaluators say "I told you so" after questioning the Red Sox' decision to pay Yoshida $ 90 million in free agency. Yoshida proves to be below average defensively in left field and finds out the hard way that hitting in MLB is a completely different level of difficulty.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/red-sox/red-sox-outfield-preview-can-masataka-yoshida-live-his-contract

Edited by caulfield12

"It started off as a joke.

On a warm September day at Rakuten Mobile Park Miyagi, a 23,000-seat stadium in Sendai, Japan, located about 200 miles north of Tokyo, a group from Red Sox baseball operations sat in the stadium, scouting Orix Buffaloes star Masataka Yoshida. It was hard for them to miss the giant Ferris wheel towering over the park behind left field, a feature the club had installed in 2016 to entertain fans.

The Red Sox had been scouting Yoshida for the better part of the last four years, mostly from afar with limited in-person views because of pandemic restrictions on travel. But on this day, vice president of scouting development and integration Gus Quattlebaum finally had a chance to return to Japan, and brought with him manager of baseball analytics Dan Meyer. They joined Pacific Rim coordinator Brett Ward and Japanese scout Kento Matsumoto, who’d been following Yoshida closely as the outfielder dominated the Nippon Professional Baseball league."

https://theathletic.com/4029222/2022/12/24/red-sox-pursuit-masataka-yoshida/

18 minutes ago, fathom said:

I see Yoshida is your new Puig

Well he's a lot less likely to end in the Mexican League.

Maybe back with Masahiro Tanaka in Japan.

Plus, Dayan "El Tanque Cubano" Viciedo highlights!

For the record, Sasaki is the one to watch right now.

Edited by caulfield12

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

I thought Kondoh was really impressive and would be the perfect 4th outfielder for a contender.

Yamada it's now a couple of years past his prime...not unlike Iguchi when he came over after KW watched his scouting tape lol.

Wish they would at least go out on a limb and try a reliever from Japan or Korea at least.

Will actually be in Japan July 1st through the 12th.  Want to see at least one game at the Tokyo Dome...the Ichiro Suzuki museum in Nagoya if still operated by his parents (Japanese website dead) and it would be really cool to see the new Hokkaido stadium but just won't have enough time to go to multiple cities other than Nagoya and to see the new Studio Ghibli Amusement park located nearby.

Kondo is an excellent hitter, he’s actually really similar to Yoshida as a player except he has a lot less pop. A slightly better defender, but also injury prone. 

Tetsuto Yamada is never coming. He reached unrestricted free agency a couple years ago and signed like a seven-year deal to stay in Tokyo. He was weighing coming to MLB then, but according to every report I’ve seen he decided to move past it.

As far as relievers, rumors are that Eagles closer Yuki Matsui may be posted after the season. He’s a lefty with a wipeout slider and a decent splitter, sits low 90s and touches mid. I don’t know if he’s a closer over here but I think he’s going to be a useful reliever for sure. 

If you’re going to be in Tokyo I’d highly suggest trying to see the Swallows at Meiji Jingu stadium. It’s a historic relic that is scheduled to be torn down soon, so I’d get there while you can. 

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

For the record, Sasaki is the one to watch right now.

Yamamoto is the one to watch right now. Sasaki isn’t like to come for another 3 years at least. 

2 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

Kondo is an excellent hitter, he’s actually really similar to Yoshida as a player except he has a lot less pop. A slightly better defender, but also injury prone. 

Tetsuto Yamada is never coming. He reached unrestricted free agency a couple years ago and signed like a seven-year deal to stay in Tokyo. He was weighing coming to MLB then, but according to every report I’ve seen he decided to move past it.

As far as relievers, rumors are that Eagles closer Yuki Matsui may be posted after the season. He’s a lefty with a wipeout slider and a decent splitter, sits low 90s and touches mid. I don’t know if he’s a closer over here but I think he’s going to be a useful reliever for sure. 

If you’re going to be in Tokyo I’d highly suggest trying to see the Swallows at Meiji Jingu stadium. It’s a historic relic that is scheduled to be torn down soon, so I’d get there while you can. 

Yamamoto is the one to watch right now. Sasaki isn’t like to come for another 3 years at least. 

Just the aesthetics of watching him pitch before inevitable TJ.

And Murakami should be 1A to go along with Yamamoto...if he can stick at third realistically.

Needs to get in better shape physically IMO but I guess some will argue it's a "baby fat" thing at that age.

Thanks for the recommendation...on stadiums.

http://www.jingu-stadium.com/english/

Edited by caulfield12

Looks like I can see Yomiuri in the Tokyo Dome, maybe a Chiba Lotte Marines game at ZOZO Marine/Tokyo Dome (Roki Sasaki starting would be amazing, 4/5 odds)...Yakult Swallows on the 2nd or 11th at home.

Unfortunately no time for a trip to Koshien/Kobe for the high school baseball tournament, annually held in August from what I understand.

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Just the aesthetics of watching him pitch before inevitable TJ.

And Murakami should be 1A to go along with Yamamoto...if he can stick at third realistically.

Needs to get in better shape physically IMO but I guess some will argue it's a "baby fat" thing at that age.

Thanks for the recommendation...on stadiums.

http://www.jingu-stadium.com/english/

Murakami, from what I’ve heard, just signed a three year deal that guaranteed a posting at the end, so that’s put him coming over at 25, too. It’s always possible he talks them into letting him go sooner, but I find it hard to expect anyone to come before 25 under the current MLB international “amateur”rules.

He’s been better than expected at third, but it’s just passable. I can’t see that surviving once he loses even a step. I think he’s a 1B/DH over here by the time he comes. Im a little worried about him long-term, tbh. He’s elite, but he’s extremely polished. He’s a high plate discipline pure slugger, so it’s hard to project any upside, and so you just have to wonder how he’ll long he can hold his peak as he ages. It’s a classic “old player skills” situation. But we’ll see. I’m rooting for him. 

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Looks like I can see Yomiuri in the Tokyo Dome, maybe a Chiba Lotte Marines game at ZOZO Marine/Tokyo Dome (Roki Sasaki starting would be amazing, 4/5 odds)...Yakult Swallows on the 2nd or 11th at home.

Unfortunately no time for a trip to Koshien/Kobe for the high school baseball tournament, annually held in August from what I understand.

Remember, 6-man rotations. You should be able to get a reasonable guess once we figure out his day of the week. That breaks down as the season goes on, though. But they’ve also really babied his arm; I’m not sure if they’ll take kid gloves off all the way next year or not. He would routinely skip a turn after almost every start by the end of last season.

I want to see Koshien too, even if it’s just the Tigers. But the HS tourney would be a cool experience.

Tokyo Dome is neat; the stadium is pretty meh/outdated but they built a whole mall/complex around it, so it’s a pretty cool hang if that’s the vibe you’re looking for. I haven’t been to Chiba, but it’s out by the airport so that could be a good last stop if it lines up. Check Yokohamas schedule, too. That’s a quick train ride and technically on the suburban network. 

On 3/29/2023 at 8:25 PM, caulfield12 said:

Just going to any NPB game is an interesting experience. Completely different environment from US baseball.

If you're in Tokyo, Seibu might also be a good one to check out. Sterile stadium (most modern Japanese stadiums are), but if you're just looking to catch a game, it's as good a place as any... and it's tucked away in an amusement park.

• 2 weeks later...

Wrong so far on Yoshida... battling through an injury, timing is still messed up, but still fervently believe in the long run you have to take these risks on players who can potentially outperform their contracts 55-60%+ of the time. 

Versus those who are already maxed out and nearing the downside of their careers. 

Still have a long way to go before a winner can be declared. 

MLB scouting catches up quickly and players are forced to make adjustments on the fly.