2023 Predictions

flavum

I really have no idea what the hell is going to happen this season.  End of April, regardless of record, if we've hit more than 30 dongs, I'll be very optimistic about winning the division.  If not, especially if <20, I won't be spending much time on this team.

I know it sounds ridiculous to put so much emphasis on the long ball but this team was built to slug.  The slap-happy 1920's style of baseball isn't going to win games in 2023, just as it didn't in 2022. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, fathom said:

74-88, Tim Anderson is on the Dodgers and Giolito on the Angels at the deadline.

The depth on this team is so bad that just an average injury year will destroy them.

Did we at least get decent returns for them?

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Yes the Dodgers would give up a lot for Anderson

They would, but obtaining value in quickie July trades isn't the strong-suit of the Sox front-office.
And if a collapse happens, they will salary dump whoever's still walking among Giolito, Hendriks, Lynn, Clevenger, Grandal, Lopez, Kelly.
This org. definitely doesn't need a pre-deadline collapse.
I think if the pitching holds up the Sox might win it; but there really isn't much room for error (or injury).

Edited by GreenSox

I guess one more thing to add to what I previously posted would be not to get swept in a series, win at least a game, avoid long losing streaks. Houston is tough, Sox haven't had much success there the past few years...win at least a game.

Like Grifol said, "you can’t win a championship in April, but you can certainly lose one."

Edited by Lip Man 1

23 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I guess one more thing to add to what I previously posted would be not to get swept in a series, win at least a game, avoid long losing streaks. Houston is tough, Sox haven't had much success there the past few years...win at least a game.

Like Grifol said, "You can't win a pennant in April but you can sure lose one by not playing well."

April is going to be a tough month. Within 5 games of 500 and it will be a good start. 

11 hours ago, Johno said:

79 wins / 83 losses.   Team is average, nothing more!

Could anyone have imagined in 2020 - when the "window" was just opening and all of the young talent was just beginning to brew- that this would be a very typical prediction by both fans & writers three years later? When most thought this team would be on the cusp of a WS?

Depressing...

• Like 1

Wishful-- Fully healthy team, that can make a deep run in the playoffs.

Realistic(Sox fan for 30 years, I'm pessimistic LOL)-- they'll probably hover between 5 below, and above .500 all season teasing the fans and eventually stalling for at most a wild card and an early exit in the playoffs...if they even make it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ChetLemon77 said:

Could anyone have imagined in 2020 - when the "window" was just opening and all of the young talent was just beginning to brew- that this would be a very typical prediction by both fans & writers three years later? When most thought this team would be on the cusp of a WS?

Depressing...

Rick Hahn and Jerry Reinsdorf for ya. They screwed the pooch majorly on this rebuild. There were warning signs well before 2020 that this rebuild was built on shaky ground. The Manny Machado family and friends plan was a clear red flag that this organization was not serious about completing the rebuild. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The first time Grifol calls for a pitcher to throw over to first a 3rd time to get a balk on purpose to show he is serious about controlling the running game, internet servers explode in the Chicago area (or where ever the servers are) from Sox talk game thread participants. 

Edited by ptatc