3/30 OPENING DAY GT: Sox @ Astros (Cease v Valdez) 6PM ESPN

Buehrle>Wood

25 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Karl Ravech, Roger Clemens, Eduardo Perez and Buster Olney on the call.

Radio ESPN1000 For perhaps much needed alternative audio.

Will edit lineups when we get them.

HYPE

I don't care how out of synch the audio will be, I will be listening to the radio feed without question.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

All griping aside, this night’s like Christmas Eve, where the magic never ends. 162 games to go and anything is possible!

If you've been naughty, LaRussa will come down your chimney and drink all your liquor.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • TLR 1

• Quin pinned this topic

https://abc13.com/opening-day-astros-2023-framber-valdez-when-is-houston-justin-verlander/13006304/

Mr. Quality, that's who.

Framber Valdez, the left-hander from the Dominican Republic who set a Major League Baseball record with 25 consecutive quality starts last season, got the nod to start in his second straight opening day game, the club announced Friday.

While 'Stros fans now know who will get the chance to set the tone for a championship-defense season, the rest of the rotation order remains a mystery. As of Friday afternoon, ESPN mentions no probable starters for the four games after the March 30 contest against the Chicago White Sox.

The "Worldwide Leader," though, currently has a probable rotation of Cristian Javier, Lance McCullers Jr., Luis Garcia, and Jose Urquidy. McCullers, however, is out indefinitely to start the season with a reported forearm strain.

It's not yet known who will fill in for McCullers for the time being, but fan sentiment places that responsibility on Hunter Brown, who debuted last year.

White Sox pitcher Dylan Cease, who finished second to Verlander in last year's AL Cy Young Award race, opposes Valdez."

Edited by caulfield12

8 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Is Valdez that annoying “Rock the Baby” wind up guy?

Or is thh huh at Uriguidy…

You're close. Rock the baby guy is actually Luis Garcia. I believe he'll be pitching on Sunday.

The new rules turned his old wind up into a balk though, so he scrapped it.

Well, here goes nothing.  I want to be excited that it’s opening day, I really do.  It’s just not happening.  Maybe once I can sit down to watch after my son’s game tonight it will kick in.  🤷🏻‍♂️

I'm going to be cautiously optimistic.  This should be a close, low scoring game, but something tells me it's going to spin out of control early...maybe in the 3rd inning, with one team blowing it open.  Then the trailing team will score late and come up just short.  Final score 8-6, somebody.

Regardless, there will be much swearing and fist-shaking tonight.

Here are our hitters’ splits vs. Valdez in the past:

Player     | PA | BB % | K % | ISO | HR | BA | OPS

• Andrus:     17 |   6% |    0% | .063 | 0 | .250 | .646
  • Vaughn:     14 |  7% |  29% | .230 | 1 | .385 | 1.044
  • Moncada:  14 |  7% |  14% | .384 | 1 | .232 | .901
  • Anderson: 12 |   8% |   8% | .272 | 1 | .273 | .879
  • Grandal:      7 | 14% |   0% | .000 | 0 | .333 | .833
  • Benintendi: 7 |   0% | 14% | .000 | 0 | .286 | .571
  • Robert:        6 | 17% | 17% | .000 | 0 | .600 | .1267
  • Jimenez:      6 | 17% |    0% | .000 | 0 | .400 | .900
  • Average:   NA | 10% | 10% | .119 | NA | .345 | .880

These are tiny sample sizes obviously, but on average we have seen Valdez pretty well vs. the rest of the league.  And that makes sense given Valdez is primarily a sinker-curveball pitcher, which our core guys hit well overall.  I feel like we should be able to scrap together three or four runs off him today.

Ultimately this one feels like it comes down to Cease.  He hasn’t been good against the Astros in the past and even last year he was bad in his one start against them.  We really need five strong from him tonight and then pray the bullpen can close things out.

Regardless, this should be a fun way to kick of the 2023 season.

Opening Day, have to ring it in in style!

So what's everyone grilling tonight? I've going with the Italian sausage with peppers and onions, and potato salad on the side. Throw some popcorn into a commemorative helmet and wash it down with a couple of Goose Islands to complete the experience.

1 minute ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Opening Day, have to ring it in in style!

So what's everyone grilling tonight? I've going with the Italian sausage with peppers and onions, and potato salad on the side. Throw some popcorn into a commemorative helmet and wash it down with a couple of Goose Islands to complete the experience.

I'll be there 4PM.

Ish.

• Love 1

No matter what, opening day will always be a special day for baseball fans . thanks to my dad and uncle lefty, this is my 60th year as White Sox fan, and i'm still psyched up for it . excited to see what Colas and Romy can do . also, Eduardo Perez is cool, but Karl Ravech & Roger Clemens, I don't think so . like others, i'm doing radio.

• Like 2